Passports and/or other ID question

marco

We haven't flown domestic just to get from "here to there" in a long time. We will be next month. I've heard say about some states not accepting DL's as ID???????, but they've extended the time period that they will. What's the deal?

Thanks Shamoo and Sparks.....that answered my question. We can (and will) leave our passports home.

Why would you not use your passports. Among other things that is what they are for and they make clearing security a bit easier.

Why would you not use your passports. Among other things that is what they are for and they make clearing security a bit easier.

Sounds like they are just taking a domestic flight without a cruise at the end, so they don't need their passports. (And in our FWIW department I have traveled both with and without a passport on a cruise and didn't notice any difference in clearing Customs.)

Sounds like they are just taking a domestic flight without a cruise at the end, so they don't need their passports. (And in our FWIW department I have traveled both with and without a passport on a cruise and didn't notice any difference in clearing Customs.)

Same for us.

Passports do make it easier to both check in/check bags at the counter and pass through TSA security at the airport even when on a domestic flight. Your airline can just swipe the passport when checking you in rather than have to compare the ID to their records and/or your face. And with TSA when you show them your state driver license they have to look at your boarding pass to be sure it is only for a domestic flight and not stamped 'passport required' versus when showing a passport they just glance and hand it right back. I have family members who fly international only once a year or so but domestic at least once a month and would never use anything but a passport for ID.

And I have absolutely no clue what going thru Customs after a cruise has to do with this discussion--there is no customs for a domestic US flight.

Passports do make it easier to both check in/check bags at the counter and pass through TSA security at the airport even when on a domestic flight. Your airline can just swipe the passport when checking you in rather than have to compare the ID to their records and/or your face. And with TSA when you show them your state driver license they have to look at your boarding pass to be sure it is only for a domestic flight and not stamped 'passport required' versus when showing a passport they just glance and hand it right back. I have family members who fly international only once a year or so but domestic at least once a month and would never use anything but a passport for ID.

And I have absolutely no clue what going thru Customs after a cruise has to do with this discussion--there is no customs for a domestic US flight.

I presumed that the PP was talking about clearing Customs at the end of a cruise based on his answer. I apologize if I misread it. In any event, we have TSA Pre-check for domestic flights so we get through quicker anyway.

Not a big issue for us as you can't take an international flight from the airport we've leaving/returning from/to. With the group I'm traveling with, not bringing passports means one less thing I have to worry about someone loosing.