Glacier Bay vs. Other daytrips to different glaciers

illiniwahoo

I've hears such good things about glacier bay, but the mainstream cruiselines that can visit in June as so limited - Princess and Holland America are all I can find. I've found good reviews for the "26 glaciers" cruise that leaves from Whittier and visits College Fjord and Harriman Fjord. Can anyone compare the glacier viewing experiences on a daytrip tour like 26 glaciers vs. from the cruiseship. We would miss glacier bay itself, but it seem like smaller ships could get closer to the glaciers, so the two experiences could even out. Thoughts?

I've hears such good things about glacier bay, but the mainstream cruiselines that can visit in June as so limited - Princess and Holland America are all I can find. I've found good reviews for the "26 glaciers" cruise that leaves from Whittier and visits College Fjord and Harriman Fjord. Can anyone compare the glacier viewing experiences on a daytrip tour like 26 glaciers vs. from the cruiseship. We would miss glacier bay itself, but it seem like smaller ships could get closer to the glaciers, so the two experiences could even out. Thoughts?

Glacier Bay is the best way to see and understand the glaciers. In Glacier Bay the Park Rangers come on board and give a running commentary . One or two wander the deck and answer questions.

A private company probably wouldn't do this.

It’s hard to beat Margerie Glacier in Glacier Bay for calving although College Fjord can be a very good glacier experience, particularly on a nice day. Another glacier option out of Whittier is a Blackstone Bay day trip.

These were the lines that had permits to enter Glacier Bay as of a couple years ago.

Alaskan Dream Cruises

American Cruise Lines

UnCruise

Carnival

Crystal

Holland

Norwegian

Princess

Lindblad

Thanks for the other options. I had apparently missed the ncl cruises. (Carnival has only a few shoulder season sailings to glacier bay this year) As far as the other lines, I used the word "mainsteam" trying to nicely indicate "cruises that I can afford". Some of the smaller ships look great, but not for those prices! we love celebrity, but they never go to glacier bay. Our last cruise was ncl, and just wasn't as nice as celebrity. So I'm trying to figure out if I can get the best Alaskan experience on my preferred line or if I'll have to switch to princess.

Thanks for the other options. I had apparently missed the ncl cruises. (Carnival has only a few shoulder season sailings to glacier bay this year) As far as the other lines, I used the word "mainsteam" trying to nicely indicate "cruises that I can afford". Some of the smaller ships look great, but not for those prices! we love celebrity, but they never go to glacier bay. Our last cruise was ncl, and just wasn't as nice as celebrity. So I'm trying to figure out if I can get the best Alaskan experience on my preferred line or if I'll have to switch to princess.

I have the Norwegian Sun booked for June next year. They were the cheapest for a balcony over Princess and Holland and includes Glacier Bay. My previous Alaskan cruise was with princess. I looked at Celebrity because I do love them but the itinerary for the Norwegian sun was hard to beat and with the right price won me over. I have never sailed NCL before so it will be interesting to compare.

This was our day in Glacier Bay. It was great to get so close to Margarie Glacier but glaciers are pretty similar and I would have thought that alternative sites would be just (or very nearly) as good so I would not make this the determining factor in choosing a cruise. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]hLutZrgzE6I[/YOUTUBE]