looking for Port Canaveral ideas

jojoharvard

We rented a car from Budget - they met us at the pier - and went to Sea World. Had plenty of time and had a lot of fun.

Having been there also while not on a cruise, I spent an afternoon at Canaveral National Seashore at the beach. Not a long drive, and far more peaceful and relaxing than Cocoa Beach. Saw manatees from a bridge on the way out and tons of turtles, birds, and even an alligator - far from the road and far from the beach.

Depending upon when you sail there could be ships sailing out the day before your cruise. My daughter and I enjoyed going to the point pier there and watching the ships sail out. There is a small park there where you could have a picnic. There are also several restaurants there that have outside seating that offer a good view of the ships as they sail out. I remember two are Rusty's and Fishlips. They both have websites.

You've always got the theme parks in Orlando, and they are all about an hour (give or take a few min.) away. The Brevard Zoo is not too far, not a huge zoo, but it's done nicely, and there is a "splash" area for the kids. There is also a zipline and ropes course there, as well as kayaking. Airboat ride is a must...if you've never been, and not far at all.

Of course, beaches are everywhere, and Canaveral National Seashore is pretty special (just don't go too far away from the parking area, as there is an "unofficial" clothing optional beach. You can also visit the Merritt Island wildlife refuge. I would imagine your boys would love Kennedy Space Center.

And of course, no trip to our area would be complete without a visit to RonJon surf shop. It's more than a surf shop, it really has become a tourist destination.

If the space station seems to be too much, give the separate space museum a try...we found it to be very interesting, although I will have to admit, we were old enough to have lived through the whole space program years, so much of that brought back memories. Much smaller, less expensive, and the museum items are up close and personal.

Archived