Childcare for infants?

We are sailing on the Dream in October. Our 6 year old is very excited about Camp Carnival. Does anyone know what the hours are/ how often they will have "paid babysitting" available for the younger ones (18 months old)? Has anyone used that service before and can you give me some feedback? We probably won't use it at night because both of our kids need to have a decent bedtime, but I was wondering mostly about daytime hours and while we're in port.

Thanks!!

Ill be traveling with a 14 mo old myself. This is what I was able to find on Carnival.com

Under 2 Infant Care

On Port Days, care for infants begins from 15 minutes before the first tour until 12:00 noon (or from 1:00pm until 5:00pm for ships arriving in port after noon time). Port Days are for drop off only. Fees Apply: $6.75 per hour plus a 15% gratuity, per child.

On Sea Days, Under 2 time is scheduled from 8:00am-10:00am. During this time, parents have the option of leaving their child in the care of the Youth Staff Fees Apply: $6.75 per hour plus a 15% gratuity, per child for this service or they can stay and use the Camp Carnival facilities at no charge. Please note that this time is designated for the use of Under 2’s and their parents only.

Each evening, Night Owls is available from 10:00pm-3:00am. Fees Apply: $6.75 per hour plus a 15% gratuity, per child. During this time, there will be children from other age groups (2-11 years) participating in Night Owls.

Great, thanks!! We were hoping to do an excursion with just our 6 year old, so this really helps!

Wow...those are pretty restrictive hours if you have to be back on board by noon........

Have you found any private excursions to do with your child.....I'm not sure I've ever seen any Carnival excursion that a child would enjoy that gets you back that early.

And if God forbid something happens and you don't make it back on the ship then your 18 month old is on his own. No way would I go ashore and leave a child on board unless there were other family members available to step in if there was an emergency.

And if God forbid something happens and you don't make it back on the ship then your 18 month old is on his own. No way would I go ashore and leave a child on board unless there were other family members available to step in if there was an emergency.

Seriously, Deb? Do you really think the childcare people would leave any child on his/her own?

This is NOT going to happen! You might have to pay extra $$, but no child will be turned out or left alone.

Seriously, Deb? Do you really think the childcare people would leave any child on his/her own?

This is NOT going to happen! You might have to pay extra $$, but no child will be turned out or left alone.

Thanks, Plant!!! I'm glad you see it my way! I've been flamed for everything I've asked on these boards and now I feel like a horrible mom for wanting to spend a couple hours of one on one time with our daughter.

I don't think Deb meant that the child would be left all alone. I think she meant if something happened the child would be on his/her own without their parents. Of course Carnival wouldn't just leave the child by themselves.

I can totally understand wanting some one on one time with your daughter or husband. You are taking a fabulous vacation that the baby will not remember but your daughter certainly will.

Just a thought and it maybe too late for you, but if you have a younger family member like a niece or sister, someone you trust - it might work out to be cost effective to offer them a free cruise in exchange for a few hours babysitting a day.

I'm not gonna flame you....we have two girls...6 and 3...each get their own time with us...we make it a point to give them each their own time with us....Enjoy your cruise and do with your time as what you feel is right for your family and your children :) (I'm also the parent who lets their kids eat ice cream at 10pm and drink soda but they are well behaved little monsters :)

Thanks, guys!! You all made me feel a lot better - and not like a bad mom! I would LOVE to take my sister or niece, if I had one. But my only sister died when she was 24 and her son was only 2, so unfortunately, I don't have that option. And I don't think her son (who is 14 now and we are very close to) would even be willing to babysit in exchange for the free cruise ;)

3 of the port days we plan to take Isaac off with us since that's the only time he will be allowed in the water, but we were thinking of just 1 port day spending time with just Carlissa.

Thanks, guys!! You all made me feel a lot better - and not like a bad mom! I would LOVE to take my sister or niece, if I had one. But my only sister died when she was 24 and her son was only 2, so unfortunately, I don't have that option. And I don't think her son (who is 14 now and we are very close to) would even be willing to babysit in exchange for the free cruise ;)

3 of the port days we plan to take Isaac off with us since that's the only time he will be allowed in the water, but we were thinking of just 1 port day spending time with just Carlissa.

You do not need to explain your thinking.

The service is available so if you want to use it, do so.

and frankly, if something was to happen that I could not make it back to the ship, I would be fine knowing my baby was being looked after on the ship than in the same situation I had found myself in because it would have to be a pretty bad situation for me not to make it back onboard.

I used the under 2 drop off service when my son was 9 months and 15 months. The longest he was there was 2 or 3 hours and they took great care of him! They change diapers, prepare bottles, etc. I see no problem using the service to have some adult time. We did leave the ship while he was onboard but only to walk around the immediate port area. I've also used Camp Carnival now that he is over 2 and he loves it there!

We sailed on the Dream with our "under 2". I have attached the card detailing the services available. I know they are rather limited, but if you want true babysitting hours and activities for infants over 6 months of age, you'll need to sail on Royal or Disney. Royal Babies puts Carnival's under 2 services to shame:

DSCF9501.jpg

No need to explain yourself...you are doing nothing wrong. The services are there for you to use and so no need for anyone to be critical for you wanting to take advantage of it. Im traveling solo with my infant daughter and am considering using the service for a couple hours one port day as well. Some people dont understand that not everyone has extra hands on call that can just babysit our children.

I don't think Deb meant that the child would be left all alone. I think she meant if something happened the child would be on his/her own without their parents. Of course Carnival wouldn't just leave the child by themselves.

I agree, she meant if something happened to YOU while you were in port...and things happen all the time to tourists.

Thanks, Plant!!! I'm glad you see it my way! I've been flamed for everything I've asked on these boards and now I feel like a horrible mom for wanting to spend a couple hours of one on one time with our daughter.

I didn't look to see how long you have been a member or how many posts you have but please do not let people like Deb discourage you. If I left every time someone flamed me I would have been gone years ago - there are sooooo many good and nice people here. There will never be a post you make that someone won't disagree with and leaving a child on board is a hot topic with people. I always say - do what you are comfortable with and believe me your child will be just fine. In all my years I have never heard of a child leaving without the parent.

Archived