Brazil Consulate New York City Experience

pthjudy

Today my husband and I made a trip into New York City to purchase a visa we needed for a cruise that stops in Brazil in the fall. We went armed with all of the documentation listed on their website. We got there early, secured our number, and waited. When our numbers were called close to an hour and a half later, we were denied because they decided TODAY that due to the World Cup, it was too busy to process a visa for a trip so far in advance. That little tidbit is not on their website nor was it mentioned during the instructions talk we listened to while we were waiting. In fact, the forms generated from their website after we filled out our information, expires at the end of THIS month. Now the kicker - the guy who was there to facilitate the visa applications process took us aside out in the hall and told us he could accept the applications for us but it would cost $500.00! Needless to say we declined his offer and we will use a visa service.

I saw your post on TA as well just now.

Welcome to Brazil. :-(. That is very typical of the way things get done in Brazil, paying someone off under the table to facilitate getting what you need.

As a US citizen, I find what happened to you to be outrageous. You were legitimately scheduled. I would have tried to see a supervisory level person and insisted that the paperwork be taken, and a reasonable return date given for the passport with visa. Not sure if it would have worked, but worth a try to persist.

Please report what happened, with a description of the guy who solicited the "jeitinho/suborno", addressed directly to the Consul General himself.

However, when you mentioned on TA that you "hate to think of an American doing this to a citizen of Brazil", I can assure you that I have personally seen that and worse happen to Brazilians at the US Consulate in Rio. It is shameful.

I myself was treated rudely by some Brazilian staff members there, and had to say outright/out loud to them that I was a US citizen and would not allow myself to be treated in such a manner on my own soil (which the Consulate is) by Brazilian or American staff without protest right up the chain of command until I got treated correctly.

So I am never really surprised when I hear of some Brazilian consular staff (who btw do not hardly get paid enough to pay their rent in the US without moonlighting--I have friends among them and know firsthand--but no reason to solicit bribes either) gets all snippy in "reciprocation", or claiming they are too busy with WC visas.

But I do feel badly (as someone who knows what good folks most Brazilians aren) that you had to experience what you did, and hope that as you meet more Brazilians during your trip, you will come to think better of them as a group.

And I hope you have a wonderful trip!

To report the incident, I would write directly, in NYC, at the Consulate address, to:

Counselheiro Luiz Eduardo Caracciolo Maya Ferreira, the "Chefe do Setor Consular

and

Embaixadora Ana Lucy Gentil Cabral Peterson, the "Consul-Geral"

I saw your post on TA as well just now.

Welcome to Brazil. :-(. That is very typical of the way things get done in Brazil, paying someone off under the table to facilitate getting what you need.

As a US citizen, I find what happened to you to be outrageous. You were legitimately scheduled. I would have tried to see a supervisory level person and insisted that the paperwork be taken, and a reasonable return date given for the passport with visa. Not sure if it would have worked, but worth a try to persist.

Please report what happened, with a description of the guy who solicited the "jeitinho/suborno", addressed directly to the Consul General himself.

However, when you mentioned on TA that you "hate to think of an American doing this to a citizen of Brazil", I can assure you that I have personally seen that and worse happen to Brazilians at the US Consulate in Rio. It is shameful.

I myself was treated rudely by some Brazilian staff members there, and had to say outright/out loud to them that I was a US citizen and would not allow myself to be treated in such a manner on my own soil (which the Consulate is) by Brazilian or American staff without protest right up the chain of command until I got treated correctly.

So I am never really surprised when I hear of some Brazilian consular staff (who btw do not hardly get paid enough to pay their rent in the US without moonlighting--I have friends among them and know firsthand--but no reason to solicit bribes either) gets all snippy in "reciprocation", or claiming they are too busy with WC visas.

But I do feel badly (as someone who knows what good folks most Brazilians aren) that you had to experience what you did, and hope that as you meet more Brazilians during your trip, you will come to think better of them as a group.

And I hope you have a wonderful trip!

I would love to think that this was one bad apple and not the way things are. You are right that he should be reported but whether i follow through or not is still undecided. Upon further discussion we still may apply in person again and if so, I don't want to burn any bridges. Your post was very informative. Thank you.

I would love to think that this was one bad apple and not the way things are. You are right that he should be reported but whether i follow through or not is still undecided. Upon further discussion we still may apply in person again and if so, I don't want to burn any bridges. Your post was very informative. Thank you.

If you aren't willing to follow through, then IMO you have no business complaining/reporting on this and other forums. Sorry if that seems blunt, but you become part of the problem if you in effect condone the behavior by not doing your part to stop it.

It's been a long time, but I'll never forget the problem we had in Rio.

Arrived, presented our passports at Immigration, spent a week in Rio, had a great time.

The day we left we got to the airport in plenty of time, airline wouldn't check us in as our passports had not been stamped upon arrival. Said we were in the country illegally! Sent us to Brazilian officials at the airport. Nothing they could do..."we had entered illegally."

You can only imagine how upset we were. Obviously going to miss our flight home. Luckily we saw a tour guide we had used once during the visit. He was helping a group depart but told us he'd come back and help us, which he did after a few minutes. Much discussion bwtn the guide and the officials, but what it came down to was we would have to pay under the counter to get out. I had visions of several hundred dollars and when he told me $40, I couldn't get the money out fast enough. Problem solved.

We did fly into Rio again about 10 yrs ago and you can bet I made sure we got our passports stamped! In fact, I watch it at most every airport we go into anymore.

We lived in Panama for many, many years so we understand the culture and do what we have to when we have to. Like it - no, but it won't stop me from traveling as often as I can. It's just the way things are.

One last thing, personally I wouldn't contact any official at the Consulate in advance of your trip. We generally use a visa service. The hassle just isn't worth the money. Good luck on your trip.

If you aren't willing to follow through, then IMO you have no business complaining/reporting on this and other forums. Sorry if that seems blunt, but you become part of the problem if you in effect condone the behavior by not doing your part to stop it.

If I had the person's name or even his title, I would be more apt to report him. I really wasn't complaining in my post but rather relating an experience. My husband now wants to get our visa in person early next fall. Call me selfish, but we have this Oceania cruise booked for well over a year and I don't want to be blacklisted or banned. From other posters this is not unusual. Maybe my silence is perpetuating this problem, but posting made me feel a bit better and maybe others will be better prepared if it happens to them!

OP seems to complain mainly about being turned away due to lack of time, and then being asked for a bribe. What "and worse" did you observe at the U.S. Conulate General in Rio? Bribes being solicited? How often were you in the consulate to observe the things you mention? You were getting a visa, or were you in the American Citizen Services section?

OP seems to complain mainly about being turned away due to lack of time, and then being asked for a bribe. You say you've seen what happened to OP in NY, "and worse," happen to Brazilians at the U.S. Consulate General in Rio, though the very general example you give had to do with your treatment by Brazilian employees. What was the "and worse" you personally observed? Bribes bring solicited by American Foreign Service Officers? If so, I hope you reported this. How often were you in the consulate?

Edited by Fattony

If I had the person's name or even his title, I would be more apt to report him. I really wasn't complaining in my post but rather relating an experience. My husband now wants to get our visa in person early next fall. Call me selfish, but we have this Oceania cruise booked for well over a year and I don't want to be blacklisted or banned. From other posters this is not unusual. Maybe my silence is perpetuating this problem, but posting made me feel a bit better and maybe others will be better prepared if it happens to them!

1) It's a small enough staff. They will know exactly who it is by description.

2) So glad you feel better. That's THE most important thing, right?

3) How would you imagine someone might be "better prepared" after reading your post (given that this is likely one temporary employee at one specific Consulate and the first report on any forum of such an action)?

4) Never (over lots of years on forums and through contacts) heard of anyone being "blacklisted or banned" or otherwise refused a tourist visa with all the listed documents.

Good luck in Brazil.

Today my husband and I made a trip into New York City to purchase a visa we needed for a cruise that stops in Brazil in the fall. We went armed with all of the documentation listed on their website. We got there early, secured our number, and waited. When our numbers were called close to an hour and a half later, we were denied because they decided TODAY that due to the World Cup, it was too busy to process a visa for a trip so far in advance. That little tidbit is not on their website nor was it mentioned during the instructions talk we listened to while we were waiting. In fact, the forms generated from their website after we filled out our information, expires at the end of THIS month. Now the kicker - the guy who was there to facilitate the visa applications process took us aside out in the hall and told us he could accept the applications for us but it would cost $500.00! Needless to say we declined his offer and we will use a visa service.

Thank you for posting this. I am also from NY and have to apply for a visa for our So. American cruise in February. I hope all works out for you.

OP seems to complain mainly about being turned away due to lack of time, and then being asked for a bribe. You say you've seen what happened to OP in NY, "and worse," happen to Brazilians at the U.S. Consulate General in Rio, though the very general example you give had to do with your treatment by Brazilian employees. What was the "and worse" you personally observed? Bribes bring solicited by American Foreign Service Officers? If so, I hope you reported this. How often were you in the consulate?

Fattony, you are a US citizen with an upper class Brazilian spouse with a professional job, so I am not surprised that you may never have seen or experienced such things, despite your considerable time in Brazil.

Please spend your time on the forum more profitably than trying to impune my experiences.

I just sent an email to the consulate. You were right. They need to know not only about the extortion attempt but also about the last minute, unannounced rule changing. Thank you.

I just sent an email to the consulate. You were right. They need to know not only about the extortion attempt but also about the last minute, unannounced rule changing. Thank you.

As I suggested above, a more effective approach might be to send mail (not email) directly addressed to those in charge, the Consul General and the head of the consular section, who have the power to do something. As you yourself may have suspected, sending email to the general address monitored by your greedy friend and his colleagues probably isn't going to accomplish much positive, but nice try. I still suggest following up with a snail mail paper letter to each of those two in charge mentioned above. They are diplomats, appointed to their job, not simply Brazilian US residents with no particular qualifications other than being in need of a job as are the "regular" staff.

Fattony, you are a US citizen with an upper class Brazilian spouse with a professional job, so I am not surprised that you may never have seen or experienced such things, despite your considerable time in Brazil.

Please spend your time on the forum more profitably than trying to impune my experiences.

Now, now, you're getting pretty nasty over things I didn't say, and over your implications of our socio-economic status. I didn't say I hadn't seen these things (actually I'm aware of examples of rudeness, by both Brazilian employees and U.S. employees in both Rio and Recife, and, of course, wouldn't have applied for a U.S. visa). Nor did I say you hadn't experienced any of these. You said you'd personally seen and experienced things OP described "and worse" at the consulate in Rio. Pretty vague. What was the "and worse"? Doesn't mean they're false, as you say I charged, just without details. I asked for examples (for example, did you see a solicitation of a bribe?), and you gave none, but instead went on the attack, saying I "impuned" (sic) your unspecified experiences, and phrasing it in terms of class privilege. I guess I'm supposed to feel guilty. You could have strengthened your argument by giving facts, but instead lash out. How sad.

I will, by the way, decide what and what not to post on this free Web site, which is not owned by either of us, rather than ask for your guidance or permission.

Edited by Fattony

While I use a service and did so when we got our Brazil visa in 2012 but I know people who used a service last year and the Brazil Consulates slow rolled the applications and it took them months to get them.

Bottom line the Brazilian Consulates are consistently a problem. I just hope our USA consulates are not that way to those applying for visas to come here.

Keith

Corruption is a way of life in Brasil, Rio in particular and customs officials (including Policia Federal) especially. I lived in Rio over 12 years ( married a Brasilian gal) and have had similar experiences with customs officials and Policia Federal.

As the current World Cup fiasco is (will) show, Brasil is a third rate country with a poor infrastructure and horribly inefficient bureaucratic judicial and legislative systems. To make matters worse, the Brasilian currency (real/reais) is, according to Goldman Sachs, the most overvalued currency in the world. The cost of living in Rio was, until 3 years ago, about the same as New York when the $R was 1.55 to the US $. It is now about 2.24 so the cost of living is about the same as it is in smaller US metropolises.

Go to the beaches, do a dance, have a juice and then head out to a different country, one that has a modicum of real civility and culture (besides beaches, samba and macumba).

p.s. to OP...You have a "civic" duty to your fellow travelers to report this incident of gross inefficiency and especially the attempted bribery to appropriate authorities although, frankly, nothing will probably come of it. Still, one must try.

Edited by pmacher61

Corruption is a way of life in Brasil, Rio in particular and customs officials (including Policia Federal) especially. I lived in Rio over 12 years ( married a Brasilian gal) and have had similar experiences with customs officials and Policia Federal.

As the current World Cup fiasco is (will) show, Brasil is a third rate country with a poor infrastructure and horribly inefficient bureaucratic judicial and legislative systems. To make matters worse, the Brasilian currency (real/reais) is, according to Goldman Sachs, the most overvalued currency in the world. The cost of living in Rio was, until 3 years ago, about the same as New York when the $R was 1.55 to the US $. It is now about 2.24 so the cost of living is about the same as it is in smaller US metropolises.

Go to the beaches, do a dance, have a juice and then head out to a different country, one that has a modicum of real civility and culture (besides beaches, samba and macumba).

p.s. to OP...You have a "civic" duty to your fellow travelers to report this incident of gross inefficiency and especially the attempted bribery to appropriate authorities although, frankly, nothing will probably come of it. Still, one must try.

I informed the consulate about what had transpired. As of now, I have not had a response. I am sure I won't but it had to be done anyway.