What can I not bring on board--can't find the answer

My suggestion would be to use flat rate shipping boxes from the post office. If it fits it ships...send several and that way you won't have to worry about having anything taken from you on the ship.

Oh, we are already doing that, and expect to do another later in the summer, but thought of also taking food off the ship if we were able to.

Not an either or situation, but just seeing if we could do more than we already were.

How many more months will they be there that their food will cost so very much? Would you guess they are paying 15% more, 25% more?

Oh, it's closer to a 60% increase.

They had budgeted for an increase of 25% in cost, but it's a lot more than that.

They are staying for two months as docents. They have an apartment that is provided for, and everyone keeps bringing them salmon and other fish... but meat and fish haven't been a part of their diet since they retired, and it's the fruit and vegetables that are hurting their budget.

I'm hoping that by sending pantry items, it will free up more of their budget for the fresh stuff.

I'm not worried about them starving, just wanting them to enjoy their time there without stressing too much.

Oh, it's closer to a 60% increase.

They had budgeted for an increase of 25% in cost, but it's a lot more than that.

They are staying for two months as docents. They have an apartment that is provided for, and everyone keeps bringing them salmon and other fish... but meat and fish haven't been a part of their diet since they retired, and it's the fruit and vegetables that are hurting their budget.

I'm hoping that by sending pantry items, it will free up more of their budget for the fresh stuff.

I'm not worried about them starving, just wanting them to enjoy their time there without stressing too much.

If you were flying in, you could take what you want - subject to legal restrictions and your willingness to pay for the suitcase. Unfortunately, you're not flying. I priced out a 25"x25"x25" box with 50 lbs of "stuff" in it on the UPS site. Even with my discount, UPS ground is nearly $400.

I can certainly appreciate what you're trying to do. It makes sense on paper. But then paper meets the government....

BunlessInSeattle,

When I attended school overseas, I remember what a treat it was to have food brought to me that I could not otherwise purchase or was just too expensive for common sense. (Also when I flew back and forth from the US, I was able to carry packaged goods in my suitcase without any questions or additional taxes). Sure, I could've bought a bag of tortilla chips, but for $7! So, while buying a gift card might help, it still won't bring the prices down and compare with the value of what they are used to.

Based on the experience of midwest_852, your plan is possible.

Have a great trip!

BunlessInSeattle,

When I attended school overseas, I remember what a treat it was to have food brought to me that I could not otherwise purchase or was just too expensive for common sense. (Also when I flew back and forth from the US, I was able to carry packaged goods in my suitcase without any questions or additional taxes). Sure, I could've bought a bag of tortilla chips, but for $7! So, while buying a gift card might help, it still won't bring the prices down and compare with the value of what they are used to.

Have a great trip!

You might be right, however it still could trigger the Customs Inspectors.. As I explained I was stopped in Ketchican just trying to mail out a package to myself at home..I had to fill out a Customs form & be cleared by the Customs Inspector..

I posted this on our return from Alaska: This is a copy of my post: Quote

However, don't try to get off the ship in an Alaskan port with anything you purchase even in Alaska, without declaring it..Psgrs. on Foreign Flag Carriers must clear Customs in order to Mail Packages Home! We purchased gifts "all made in Alaska" ..

In 2008, we sailed on the Veendam from Seward to YVR & heard we could mail a package for $9.00..The U.S. Post Office is only a block from the HAL dock in Ketchikan.. However, The P.O. box was too small so we went to a Business supply store & got a larger box w/sealing tape & went back to the ship to pack it up.. In it were Christmas gifts, including 2 Ulu Knives & boards, a native doll, a Fur vest & some of our own clothes which we no longer needed...

On disembarking the ship with our sealed box, we were stopped by HAL’s Security Officer, who informed us that we must clear U.S. Customs. The U.S. Customs Agents had previously been at the ship, but had already left...

We were stunned & could not understand why this was so, since we were U.S. citizens who purchased these items for our personal use or gifts for Family & Friends in the U.S.. We were mailing them from a U.S. Port to our home address in the U.S. The Security Officer had us consult with the Port Agent who would either drive us to Customs or call the Customs Agents on the phone..

Fortunately, while we were talking to the Port Agent a U.S. Customs Officer was still at the dock, overheard our conversation & offered to assist..

He was a nice young Man who explained that HAL was a Foreign Flag Carrier & we were in effect in a foreign country while on board. If the HAL Security Officer had permitted us to take the items off the ship without clearing Customs, HAL could be fined as much as $15,000 per person...

We obtained a Customs Form from the Ship, presented it to the U.S. Customs Officer who then cleared our package for mailing home...

On final disembarkation in YVR, the Canadian Customs Agent specifically asked if we had mailed anything home & when we said yes, wanted to know the contents of the package. We couldn’t quite remember everything we put in the box, but she cleared us through anyway…Unquote

In addition Copper 10-8, a HAL employee confirmed that Customs Inspectors are in all ports in Alaska in post No. 23 in this thread!

If the OP is willing to go through customs, & all the food is packaged it should not be a problem, but they should be aware of a possibility of having to clear customs..

Edited by serendipity1499

BunlessInSeattle,

Have a great trip!

I often bring food items back from the UK, that I cannot get here or is extremely expensive, but that is by air. As long as it is a permitted item and you declare it, no problem. However, it may be totally different when you are taking food items off the ship.

Recently a group on Westerdam brought "a lot" of supplies for a school in the Caribbean. They carefully filled HAL bags and topped them up with towels/beach stuff so that non of the officials would be aware that they were taking that much off the ship.

Maybe you could do the same. Fill up a bag each and cover it with a jacket/hat etc. And still only bring pre-packaged/legal foodstuffs. It might be less than you initially wanted to bring but at least you wouldn't get hassled.