Questions about getting from (Eurostar) St Pancras Station to Waterloo Station

London St Pancras Intl to London Waterloo

We will be arriving from Paris via Eurostar on a Wednesday morning. Our final destination is the Waterloo train station where our hotel is located. And I have a few questions.

Will we have to get off the Eurostar at St Pancras and then find the train to the Waterloo station? Or does the train from Paris just keep going and we get off at Waterloo?

If we do have to get off and re-board another train, how does the ticket work? We were planning on buying an Oyster card upon arriving in London. My understanding is that it works on both the trains and the underground/tube/metro (not sure what it is called in London). So can we use that for the train to Waterloo? Looking at the map, I am seeing a Waterloo train station and a Waterloo underground station. Am I correct? And it seems to me it would be faster/easier to take the train from St Pancras than the underground, as it looks like we would have to switch to another line. I have been trying to find this out online, but I am getting a little confused. HELP!!

The Eurostar terminates at St. Pancras...end of the line. You could go by tube to Waterloo, but I am assuming you will have some luggage, so I wouldn't. Follow the 'Taxi' signs and just get a black cab to your hotel at Waterloo...more expensive (£10 -£15), but much less hassle and its not that far.

Waterloo tube is under Waterloo mainline. If your hotel is near Waterloo, just go there to buy your Oyster card (you need the Underground [Tube...its the same thing!] ticket office). Don't forget you can redeem any money left on the card (including the £5 deposit) at the end of your stay at any tube ticket office. You can use your Oyster card on tube, bus, some rail lines and some river boats...ask for a leaflet when you get it.

Simon

And it seems to me it would be faster/easier to take the train from St Pancras than the underground, as it looks like we would have to switch to another line.
Other than the Underground (aka Tube), there is no train from St Pancras to Waterloo. And yes, as you have noticed, you would have to change between lines if you do it by Tube.

Frankly, I wouldn't bother, seeing as you will presumably have luggage. Just get a taxi from St Pancras.

No doubt whatsoever - get a taxi from St Pancras!!!

As you come out of the terminal, follow the signs and there are the taxis - No hassle and max price I would imagine is £20.

And you will enjoy the experience of taking a cab in London.

I would not entertain the tube or a bus as a stranger with luggage.

Edited by Scriv

No doubt whatsoever - get a taxi from St Pancras!!!

As you come out of the terminal, follow the signs and there are the taxis - No hassle and max price I would imagine is £20.

And you will enjoy the experience of taking a cab in London.

I would not entertain the tube or a bus as a stranger with luggage.

Perfect, thanks so much for the advise, a cab it will be. And we will get our Oyster cards at Waterloo. One last question. It looks like there is a Waterloo TRAIN station and a Waterloo Tube station. Is that true? If so, are they in the same building or just the same area?

One last question. It looks like there is a Waterloo TRAIN station and a Waterloo Tube station. Is that true? If so, are they in the same building or just the same area?
In case you didn't see it, the short answer was given by sddsddean above:-
Waterloo tube is under Waterloo mainline.

All main line termini in London have a tube station too.

Simon

And in Britain they tend to be called Railway stations not train stations, although the American terminology is creeping in, unfortunately.

All mainline railway stations will have and entrance to the tube, although the tube may not be directly underneath the main part of the station.

You will hear the words tube and underground used interchangeably

Except Fenchurch Street Station...

Though Tower Hill tube is 'next door' and counts as the tube station for Fenchurch Street. Of course, a 'cruiser' would probably only use this if goîng to the almost totally misnamed London Cruise Terminal at Tilbury.

Simon

And in Britain they tend to be called Railway stations not train stations, although the American terminology is creeping in, unfortunately.

'Train station' is the terminology of my daughters' peer group ( 28-31). I have never heard them or their friends use the term 'Railway Station', despite our efforts to influence them!

Edited by Scriv

With luggage, I would recommend taking a taxi or the 59 bus.

If you want to take the Underground, you take the Piccadilly line south Leicester Square, and change to the Northern Line. This is awkward with luggage at peak times.

If somewhere other that Waterloo ML Station is your final destination, it may be an idea to put the postcode of your hotel into the journey planner of http://www.tfl.gov.uk

Edited by Amerryscot

Our favourite much tested route by Underground from St Pancras to Waterloo is Victoria line to Oxford Circus and then Bakerloo to Waterloo. The change is just across the platforms.

But I still would not recommend it with luggage.

Edited by Scriv

If you want to take the Underground, you take the Piccadilly line south Leicester Square, and change to the Northern Line. This is awkward with luggage at peak times.

You mean the people with a stack of luggage that I see on the westbound Piccadilly line at Kings Cross St Pancras tube station each morning, obviously heading towards Heathrow.

As the trains come in with bodies pressed against the windows, you can see them thinking "good grief how full", whilst all the regular commuters are thinking, "mmm, not very busy today".

And there is a circle of hell reserved for people getting on a tube train wearing a back pack.

You mean the people with a stack of luggage that I see on the westbound Piccadilly line at Kings Cross St Pancras tube station each morning, obviously heading towards Heathrow.

As the trains come in with bodies pressed against the windows, you can see them thinking "good grief how full", whilst all the regular commuters are thinking, "mmm, not very busy today".

And there is a circle of hell reserved for people getting on a tube train wearing a back pack.

Piccadilly trains have luggage racks so from that perspective it's fine to use them. But you can't get all the way to Waterloo on the Piccadilly Line, so have to transfer to the Northern Line at Leicester Square. It's the escalators that are tricky with luggage. After course anyone can manage, but if time is not too tight, it's a lot easier to take the bus within Central London. It's not the same as going to Heathrow.

YMMV.

I think the best route by Underground from St Pancras International to Waterloo is the Victoria Line, transferring to the Bakerloo Line at Oxford Circus :) The transfer is just across the platform so all on the level.

However, I don't know about luggage racks etc.

But I really would not want that hassle with luggage - nor a bus. Just MHO of course.

Edited by Scriv

People with a baggage train of luggage are not popular on the Tube ...
Sorry, SteveH2508 - my apologies. And I had been so proud of myself for getting one suitcase to 32.0 kg exactly, even if I couldn't pack quite so much into the smaller one.

;)

Sorry, SteveH2508 - my apologies. And I had been so proud of myself for getting one suitcase to 32.0 kg exactly, even if I couldn't pack quite so much into the smaller one.

;)

I am guilty as well - two days ago on the Piccadilly Line from Kings Cross to South Kensington with a draggy bag and a BFO rucksack for two of us, having just done a month round Europe. (It was 7.30 pm though so not during rush hour).

People with a baggage train of luggage are not popular on the Tube and are positively reviled on buses by the locals - trust me;)

Take a cab - please.

Yes, and adding to this, imagine the people are strangers to the country and to the system and are travelling at a busy time.. ... unsure and constantly stopping to check the boards/maps/guides/signs...and going slowly and constantly checking that they have all their group and their belongings... and stopping to wait for others to catch up... and hesitating and then changing direction or cutting across the flow of other passengers... taking ages to get onto the bus for all reasons above....blocking the aisle with all the luggage... battling against the buggies, prams, shopping trolleys already on board and looking for a place.....

Then imagine the reaction of your fellow travellers and everyone gets worked up and impatient .. .all the more so if trains/buses are busy/delayed and/or the weather is hot/sticky/cold/ wet....

Please take a cab! Would hate your memory of London to be that of a harrassing tube or bus journey. Sit back in the cab and enjoy looking at London and make the experience a pleasant one.

By all means go on a bus or tube once you are without your luggage:)

Edited by Scriv

People with a baggage train of luggage are not popular on the Tube and are positively reviled on buses by the locals - trust me;)

Take a cab - please.

And trust me that locals are reviled by travellers when they wont move out of the special area for luggage on Picadilly line trains forcing people with luggage to have to stand in the middle of the tube carriage with their case on the way to Heathrow.

As some one who pretty much always takes local transit; it's just not a problem it people apply common sense. Would I recommend someone with suitcases take my local transit system? Absolutely! I would advise it's easier if you avoid rush hour, but I certainly don't 'revile' visitors.

Take transit - please.

Well, I guess it's now up to the OP to now choose which recommendations to follow, seeing as there are several differing opinions.

It's interesting to note though, that those who do not advise crossing London by tube with luggage on a weekday morning are frequent users of the London Underground with knowledge of that particular route and/or live and/or work in the capital.

Ah well, OP. Over to you :)