Celebrity Black Sea Cruise

theborders

Hi

We booked a Black sea cruise in December last year, from Istanbul doing the Black sea & Greek Isle cruise for September this year to go over my 50th Birthday. Unfortunatley Mr Putin did not get the memo to be nice for my big birthday, and as we all know there are travel warnings not to go to the Ukraine from most western countries.

Well we have had 2 surveys about our cruise now and the last one gave 3 possible itineries, the original itineray, one around western Turkey & the Greek islands and one that goes in to the Black sea misses the Ukraine but goes to Sochi and Northern Turkey.

I have looked on our roll call and the next and there have been several people who have already cancelled and some more who have threatend to cancel if it goes to Sochi. (I have checked some of the Baltic cruises and no one seems bothered about St Petersburg) so not sure why Sochi is so different from St Petersburg same country?

Well several weeks ago I called Celebrity UK (booked direct) to ask them what is happening, I pointed out many people have cancelled & lots of empty cabins, and what Celebirty would offer to keep us as passengers. I was told that I would be compensated if there was a major change to the itinery, the compensation would be if I cancelled I would get my deposit back (non refundable deposits in Europe) not to impressed with that but oh well. What I would like from Celebrity is to get me excited about this cruise again. Going back in time I would have booked a different cruise on a Solsitice class ship, but if I was to cancel now it would cost me my perks, drinks package & on board credit, and the same grade cabin is about £800.00 per cabin more expensive. I am happy to go on this cruise but would love for Celebrity to step up to the plate and tell us where we are going so I can plan what we (4 of us) are going to do.

Come on Celebrity (Celebrity Cruises who look at these boards) please take a look at the roll calls your customers want answers, if we can't & suspect that we will not be doing the advertised itinery please give us the alternative cruise so we can plan and get excited about the ports we are going to, the ship is leaving today on the transatlantic normally I would be really excited but I am just feeling a bit blurr at the moment. please help me get excited about my Black sea cruise.

I believe I've heard that Azamara in June, Oceania in July and HAL in Sept. have all amended their schedules so far.

I agree with you, OP, that nobody seems to mind giving their hard-earned money to St. Petersburg, while Sochi is definitely not appealing to anybody who has posted to the CC boards!

No matter where you celebrate, have a happy birthday! And hopefully by then you will say, I chose wisely at the time and then it was out of my hands. The most important part of the celebration will be to enjoy the day with your loved ones.

As far as I know there have been no itinerary changes on any cruiselines in regards to the Ukraine situation. Unless you know of something different I wouldn't worry.

Hi, All cruise lines are missing out the Ukraine at the moment with a travel advisory I doubt the cruise line would be insured.

I believe I've heard that Azamara in June, Oceania in July and HAL in Sept. have all amended their schedules so far.

No matter where you celebrate, have a happy birthday! And hopefully by then you will say, I chose wisely at the time and then it was out of my hands. The most important part of the celebration will be to enjoy the day with your loved ones.

Thanks I am sure I will have a great cruise & a great birthday.

I hope you have a wonderful time in Istanbul and all your other ports of call, even if some of them are not yet known.

I did a 12 cruise last Oct from Istanbul on the Constellation. It was a fabulous cruise. Great Tureky ports and some of the Greek Islands. Hope you are staying pre or post cruise in istanbul for a couple of days. So much to see and do.

Enjoy doing the reseach on the ports you know you will be seeing and the others ones will be a great adventure.

We, too, are on the Sept 6th Black Sea cruise/Constellation, and wonder (DAILY) what will happen. I am sure CELEBRITY has no clue, this early,

as to what they plan to do, or what changes they plan to make. This is too far out, for them to know what SEPT will bring. ((I know-- I know-- the whole area in question is pretty ugly, at this point. )) However--At least 2 months ago, on this forum, folks from Australia were sharing that they had been advised, by their govt. absolutely NOT to go to Russia in the forseable future. I remain confident, that whatever ports the Constellaion paddles into, will be good. :-)

To OP, yesterday on our "Connections" pages for the cruises to the Black Sea, I also intended to post this very same message, in the Celebrity message board, but, did not. Here is my message I posted yesterday in-case Celebrity is reading this board.

(I don't call Celebrity to ASK questions, because of the LONG HOLD TIMES calling their toll free number.)

What about it Celebrity?

We are on the October 2nd cruise. It is not like CELEBRITY not

being up-front with us about this cruise.

No one is going there. The state department has even issued a travel

warning against going there. This "Magical Mystery Tour" of ours need some definination and, soon.

Everyday, I check these message boards to see WHERE we are going.

And, Celebrity STILL carries those Ukrainian ports of call on their website.

Anyone know WHAT they tell you IF one called and inquired about a cruise to the Black Sea? Do they still tell you they are going there?

I have answered 2 surveys and, even said on the last one, to let us know "within 2 weeks", and, still NOTHING from them. Nobody is booking these cruises, but, the rates are still pretty high. We need some direction.

Sadly, I paid in full up front on this cruise AND, bought airline tickets so, I am somewhat in a quandry about this....first time ever I paid up front for a cruise and, airline tickets to Istanbul, and, then, have this happen to us.

I will NEVER do this again!

MESSAGE TO CELEBRITY:

CELEBRITY, PLEASE DE-CLASSIFY WHAT YOUR PLANS ARE FOR THE

BLACK SEA CRUISES NOW, FOR YOUR PASSENGERS.

Enough of this waiting game, to see just where we are going so we can either commit or CANCEL! :mad:

I hope you have a wonderful time in Istanbul and all your other ports of call, even if some of them are not yet known.

I did a 12 cruise last Oct from Istanbul on the Constellation. It was a fabulous cruise. Great Tureky ports and some of the Greek Islands. Hope you are staying pre or post cruise in istanbul for a couple of days. So much to see and do.

Enjoy doing the reseach on the ports you know you will be seeing and the others ones will be a great adventure.

Thanks Azulann we are going over a day early but staying 4 days after, we plan on going to Gallipoli for the day as well, we went to Istanbul a couple of years ago on the Ruby Princess and loved the city. I guess I am going to have to try & chill out a bit and research all the ports they have suggested. Whatever happens I am sure we will have a great cruise and will love the ports of call.

At this point, we only KNOW we will be in Istanbul at both ends of the cruise.

And actually, I should probably only say 99.44% sure about THAT!!!

I predict we will hear the itinerary changes this coming Thursday, May 1st. Happy May Day. Hmmm.

Unfortunately, this is the world we live in and like it or not, change is always difficult. That being said, it is out of your control unless you are able and want to cancel. Just plan on the change and maybe, just maybe, you might be surprised, even with an alternate itinerary. You are not alone; there are so many of us in this conundrum!:eek:

Unfortunately, this is the world we live in and like it or not, change is always difficult. That being said, it is out of your control unless you are able and want to cancel. Just plan on the change and maybe, just maybe, you might be surprised, even with an alternate itinerary. You are not alone; there are so many of us in this conundrum!:eek:

Thx for the reminder! Disappointments were supposed to be more difficult to handle when we were little boys and girls. Now, as you can plainly see, we are acting like the ladies and gentlemen we've grown into!

:p