Kahului Harbor to Kaanapali Beach

arvinramlakhan

Whats the best way to get Kaanapali beach without renting a car? Are there any shuttles that take you directly there?

Well, by your own car is the best and by far the cheapest way, and very easy to drive. I don't remember a POA tour to Kaanapali. The POA tour Lahaina On Your Own will get you practically next door to Kaanapali. You can probably get an affordable taxi from there, or I have read about buses which run from Lahaina near the cinema area down to Whaler's Village which fronts kaanapali beach. Of course if you go that route you must worry about bus and tour schedules to insure your return.

Edited by punkincc

A private limousine would be the best way, but also quite expensive.

Driving on Maui is quite easy and it's fun to explore on your own ... just curious if there's a reason for not renting a car?

I don't think there will be shuttles. Kaanapali Beach is on the opposite side of the island, so getting there isn't going to be easy. You will have to watch schedules/times closely to ensure getting back to the ship on time.

If you post your times in port, others with knowledge of the bus schedules will post whether it is even doable.

I am considering the NCL trip to Lahaina. Does anyone know how frequently it runs? Or when the last bus is from Lahaina?

Look at the tour info on the website, but I believe this is basically just a round trip transfer for those who want to spend the day in Lahaina and with only one drop off and pick up. You would have to be back in Lahaina at the designated time, probably late afternoon.

To say that 90% of the cars on the road are rentals is ridiculous although 90% of the convertibles may be rental cars.

'arvinramlakhan'...as others have posted renting a car is the best way to get to Ka'anapali or anywhere here on Maui. I have info on the limited bus system & cost for cabs although to me neither are worthwhile options to get around Maui. If you want that info let me know & I can give it to you.

What time should I leave Lahaina, Kaanalapi area to return the ship on the second day? The ship leaves at 6 pm. I will have a car rental.

Most cruises I've sailed have "all aboard" 30 minutes prior to sailing which would be 5:30. Without traffic delays it takes about 45 minutes to drive to the airport where most car rental agencies are located. While I've never done this I would allow 45 minutes to drop off the car & to get to the ship.

Thus leaving at 4:00 would be the latest but I would leave much earlier & suggest spending time seeing things in Central Maui. There is only a 2-lane road between Lahaina & Ma'alaea and if there's an accident there isn't a good alternative route. Sections of the road near Kahakuloa around north Maui are very narrow & make the Road to Hana feel like a highway. Traffic approaching the airport on Dairy Road can also be bad.

I would much prefer to return earlier to Central Maui where the ship is docked & to see the sites there. How much earlier depends upon your comfort level but I would leave several hours earlier & visit places like I'ao Valley.

Thanks astroflyer for the response. I could always take NCL's Lahaina on your own tour and let them worry if there's a problem with traffic. I know they leave Lahaina on the bus at 3 pm. I could take the shuttle to Kaanalapi beach area and back to catch the NCL tour bus back to ship. I want to do that area on the second day. I could leave the area by car at around 2 pm with an early start in the AM.

Thanks astroflyer for the response. I could always take NCL's Lahaina on your own tour and let them worry if there's a problem with traffic. I know they leave Lahaina on the bus at 3 pm. I could take the shuttle to Kaanalapi beach area and back to catch the NCL tour bus back to ship. I want to do that area on the second day. I could leave the area by car at around 2 pm with an early start in the AM.

You're welcome & hopefully you'll find your best option to enjoy a day in West Maui. :)

Here's a link to a taxi website with fares on Maui including between Lahaina & Ka'anapali at about $12 one-way:

http://westmauitaxi.com/services_and_rates

I think a taxi would be a more reliable option than the shuttle bus ($2 o/w) which only leaves hourly from the back of the Wharf Cinema Shopping Center:

http://thewharfcinemacenter.com/bus-schedule/

Edited by Astro Flyer

You're welcome & hopefully you'll find your best option to enjoy a day in West Maui. :)

Here's a link to a taxi website with fares on Maui including between Lahaina & Ka'anapali at about $12 one-way:

http://westmauitaxi.com/services_and_rates

I think a taxi would be a more reliable option than the shuttle bus ($2 o/w) which only leaves hourly from the back of the Wharf Cinema Shopping Center:

http://thewharfcinemacenter.com/bus-schedule/

This is great, thank you!

I am considering the NCL trip to Lahaina. Does anyone know how frequently it runs? Or when the last bus is from Lahaina?

This is not a shuttle, they take you to Lahaina, drop you off and then pick you up at the designated place and time, generally by the old Banyan Tree about 3:00.

Most cruises I've sailed have "all aboard" 30 minutes prior to sailing which would be 5:30. Without traffic delays it takes about 45 minutes to drive to the airport where most car rental agencies are located. While I've never done this I would allow 45 minutes to drop off the car & to get to the ship.

Thus leaving at 4:00 would be the latest but I would leave much earlier & suggest spending time seeing things in Central Maui. There is only a 2-lane road between Lahaina & Ma'alaea and if there's an accident there isn't a good alternative route. Sections of the road near Kahakuloa around north Maui are very narrow & make the Road to Hana feel like a highway. Traffic approaching the airport on Dairy Road can also be bad.

I would much prefer to return earlier to Central Maui where the ship is docked & to see the sites there. How much earlier depends upon your comfort level but I would leave several hours earlier & visit places like I'ao Valley.

It also needs to be verified how long the rental car shuttles are going to run. So imperative that also be verified. I would allow 2 hours as mentioned, BUT I know where I am going and have driven there numerous times. No guessing or missing turn offs. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I think there is still a bus that goes from Lahaina to Ka anapali , it lets you off at the shopping mall area right there on the beach . It has been a few years since we took it but I think the stop is one street behind the main street and it is inexpensive , try researching the Maui , Lahaina bus transportation see if it comes up. Just a thought. Last few times in Lahaina we were on excursions or just stayed in Lahaina , so not sure about it anymore .

Cori

I think there is still a bus that goes from Lahaina to Ka anapali , it lets you off at the shopping mall area right there on the beach . It has been a few years since we took it but I think the stop is one street behind the main street and it is inexpensive , try researching the Maui , Lahaina bus transportation see if it comes up. Just a thought. Last few times in Lahaina we were on excursions or just stayed in Lahaina , so not sure about it anymore .

Cori

I checked it out and it still looks like it is running. the web site is

http://www.co.maui.hi.us/index.aspx?NID

Hope this helps. Cori :)