How Early Should I Book Tours?

sjmbruce

I will be on the POA in early April and am also planning three extra days in Honolulu beforehand.

I will probably be renting a car pre-cruise and at ports. Activities I'd like to do in Honolulu are snorkeling and whale watching. At ports I'd like to book some NCL tours and independent ones as well. A helicopter tour is a possibility.

How soon should I start renting cars and booking tours?

Thanks!

I will be on the POA in early April and am also planning three extra days in Honolulu beforehand.

I will probably be renting a car pre-cruise and at ports. Activities I'd like to do in Honolulu are snorkeling and whale watching. At ports I'd like to book some NCL tours and independent ones as well. A helicopter tour is a possibility.

Thanks!

Although humpbacks can be spotted across all of the Hawaiian Islands, one of the best viewing spots in the world is the shallow Auau Channel between West Maui (Lahaina and Kaanapali), Lanai and Molokai.

You

Thanks!

Discount Hawaii Car Rentals website is highly recommended here. When you go through the website you are routed directly to the rental companies site to book, but you get the lower "Discount" price. You can indicate shuttle pickup at the dock.

Not sure how good whale watch would be in April from Oahu. When whales are plentiful, anything that gets you out on the water will get you whale sightings, but in April? As mentioned, Maui is probably your best bet. Check the Pacific Whale Foundations tour out of Lahaina harbor. Pretty inexpensive I believe and Lahaina town is full of shops, and restaurants, an easy and scenic drive from the ship. Kaanapali Beach is just a short drive from there. If you want to make it a very full day, you can book a luau at Lahaina for that evening. Old Lahaina Luau is one, but there may be others. But Honolulu might be an option for this as well since you have 3 days there.

Hanauma Bay is good for snorkeling in Honolulu. Many do it in Maui, but the best is reportedly in the Big Island, Hawaii. Probably the Kona area. Be very cautious of water conditions in Hawaii if snorkeling off beaches. Many people get into trouble.

For helicopter tours the two biggest recommendations you'll see is for Kauai due to the dramatic and inexcessable features and the Big Island out of Hilo because of the volcano. But, the volcano is easily toured by car as well. We did Kauai, and it is tops for anything I have ever done, a breath taking experience.

Edited by punkincc

We were in Maui in April, and saw lots of whales, so it's quite possible. Some of the late-birth mothers and babies will still be around. Don't know about Oahu, but in Maui, the 1st thing we saw after getting our rental at the airport were whales.! We rounded a bend, saw an overlook, and there were 3-4 whales and babies in this little bay area! Too cool!