Norwegian Getaway vs Royal Quantum Pre-Cruise Smackdown

kylenyc

Help - Norwegian Getaway vs Royal Quantum Pre-Cruise Smackdown

Hi Bendable Buddies, our amarillo adventurer needs your help in planning his upcoming vacation soon. Please help Ben decide which ship he should sail this coming November (Quantum of the Sea Maiden Transatlantic or Norwegian Jewel to Greece/Mediteranean or other?) or should he cancel it outright and plan a different cruise out of the states aboard Norwegian where he's guaranteed to have a fantastic time.

After sailing the Norwegian Breakaway on her maiden transatlantic voyage last April, Ben fell in love with sailing new ships and transatlantic voyages. So last year, he was excited to plan a maiden voyage aboard the new Royal Caribbean Quantum of the Seas. He's never sailed Royal and this was an opportunity to testing new waters and report back a true apples to apples comparison of new ship maiden transatlantic experiences. However, as more details about the Quantum design have been revealed, Ben has serious reservations primarily because of the limited outdoor social, relaxation, and recreational spaces on Quantum. He's already purchased airfare to Europe and it will cost him to cancel or change it or cancel. :( So he really needs some convincing either way.

Not all the details of Quantum have been revealed. But looking at deck plans and images of the ship we can make some important and basic judgements. With Quantum, Royal appears to have focused intently on indoor social spaces not outdoor ones. Perhaps Royal has realized this too late because recently they made the sudden announcement that they will reposition Quantum of the Sea to China instead of focusing on the Caribbean.

Norwegian Getaway/Breakaway vs Royal Quantum of the Seas Smackdown

Sorry this is the best aereal view of Getaway I could find. I will update if I can get a better one.

getaway.jpg

Norwegian Getaway/Breakaway

quantum.jpg

Royal Caribbean Quantum of the Seas

Lower deck outdoor spaces - Quantum lacks a walking deck (Deck 5 is obstructed by lifeboats). Meanwhile, Getaway/Breakaway have the amazing Waterfront on Deck 8 with loungers, restaurants, bars, and live music to enjoy that run nearly the entire length of the ship. Even Jewel-class ships have the Promenade on Deck 7 with loungers, deck games, and an aft view of the ship. Being connected to the sea is important to Ben.

Top sundeck spaces - Quantum has significantly less usable sundeck space. Getaway/Breakaway and Jewel class ships have lots of sun and lounge space both forward and aft. Quantum is severely limited in outdoor spaces - A jogging track runs along between rows of lounges. Meanwhile, the surfing simulator, skydiving simulator, and fitness center and "arm" take up valuable space. While the surfing and wave runner and "arm" are interesting feature, to Ben they are one time experiences and novelties that will likely require reservations. They are not the more important relaxation and social spaces.

Interior Design - Royal has yet to provide all of Quantum's interior designs. But we do know this. They are two banks of elevators yet there are no social spaces for adults between Decks 6 thru 13! They better have loads of elevators! Breakaway/Getaway have very comfortable symmetrical design - You can walk forward to aft on Decks 6, 7, and 8 with multiple venues and social spaces to enjoy with a towering chandelier and rotunda, and atrium that extends above to to OSheehan's. Quantum's interior design is less symmetrical with many spaces still undefined ("more to come") leaving Ben further worried.

These are just some of Ben's worries. So what should Ben do? Should he sail Quantum just to experience a new ship and new cruiseline? Or sail on Norwegian to perhaps a new destination (The Mediterrean) or familiar ships and destinations where he know he'll have fun.

Edited by kylenyc

Hi Ben

I say stay with your plans. Don't lose your airfare and Quantum will be an amazing ship. Maybe because it is sailing in cold NYC that outdoor areas have been limited. I watched a video about Quantum and it looked like the most modern and amazing ship I have ever seen. Sometimes it is good to try new things. You will be doing a transatlantic which Ben likes. Ben will also like to try a new cruise line. Ben will also love not wasting airline money.

Just remind us here on the NCL board to go over and see Ben on the Royal board :)

Help - Norwegian Getaway vs Royal Quantum Pre-Cruise Smackdown

Hi Bendable Buddies, our amarillo adventurer needs your help in planning his upcoming vacation soon. Please help Ben decide which ship he should sail this coming November (Quantum of the Sea Maiden Transatlantic or Norwegian Jewel to Greece/Mediteranean or other?) or should he cancel it outright and plan a different cruise out of the states aboard Norwegian where he's guaranteed to have a fantastic time.

After sailing the Norwegian Breakaway on her maiden transatlantic voyage last April, Ben fell in love with sailing new ships and transatlantic voyages. So last year, he was excited to plan a maiden voyage aboard the new Royal Caribbean Quantum of the Seas. He's never sailed Royal and this was an opportunity to testing new waters and report back a true apples to apples comparison of new ship maiden transatlantic experiences. However, as more details about the Quantum design have been revealed, Ben has serious reservations primarily because of the limited outdoor social, relaxation, and recreational spaces on Quantum. He's already purchased airfare to Europe and it will cost him to cancel or change it or cancel. :( So he really needs some convincing either way.

Not all the details of Quantum have been revealed. But looking at deck plans and images of the ship we can make some important and basic judgements. With Quantum, Royal appears to have focused intently on indoor social spaces not outdoor ones. Perhaps Royal has realized this too late because recently they made the sudden announcement that they will reposition Quantum of the Sea to China instead of focusing on the Caribbean.

Norwegian Getaway/Breakaway vs Royal Quantum of the Seas Smackdown

Sorry this is the best aereal view of Getaway I could find. I will update if I can get a better one.

getaway.jpg

Norwegian Getaway/Breakaway

quantum.jpg

Royal Caribbean Quantum of the Seas

Lower deck outdoor spaces - Quantum lacks a walking deck (Deck 5 is obstructed by lifeboats). Meanwhile, Getaway/Breakaway have the amazing Waterfront on Deck 8 with loungers, restaurants, bars, and live music to enjoy that run nearly the entire length of the ship. Even Jewel-class ships have the Promenade on Deck 7 with loungers, deck games, and an aft view of the ship. Being connected to the sea is important to Ben.

Top sundeck spaces - Quantum has significantly less usable sundeck space. Getaway/Breakaway and Jewel class ships have lots of sun and lounge space both forward and aft. Quantum is severely limited in outdoor spaces - A jogging track runs along between rows of lounges. Meanwhile, the surfing simulator, skydiving simulator, and fitness center and "arm" take up valuable space. While the surfing and wave runner and "arm" are interesting feature, to Ben they are one time experiences and novelties that will likely require reservations. They are not the more important relaxation and social spaces.

Interior Design - Royal has yet to provide all of Quantum's interior designs. But we do know this. They are two banks of elevators yet there are no social spaces for adults between Decks 6 thru 13! They better have loads of elevators! Breakaway/Getaway have very comfortable symmetrical design - You can walk forward to aft on Decks 6, 7, and 8 with multiple venues and social spaces to enjoy with a towering chandelier and rotunda, and atrium that extends above to to OSheehan's. Quantum's interior design is less symmetrical with many spaces still undefined ("more to come") leaving Ben further worried.

These are just some of Ben's worries. So what should Ben do? Should he sail Quantum just to experience a new ship and new cruiseline? Or sail on Norwegian to perhaps a new destination (The Mediterrean) or familiar ships and destinations where he know he'll have fun.

Hi Kyle,

When do you have to decide. I think Quantum's new dinning program sounds interesting (semi free style). The 270 space sounds promising. Why not wait another few months to decide.

But of course, we all love NCL and the perks which you are not going to get on RCI. Though choice .

Johan

Hi Ben

I say stay with your plans. Don't lose your airfare and Quantum will be an amazing ship. Maybe because it is sailing in cold NYC that outdoor areas have been limited. I watched a video about Quantum and it looked like the most modern and amazing ship I have ever seen. Sometimes it is good to try new things. You will be doing a transatlantic which Ben likes. Ben will also like to try a new cruise line. Ben will also love not wasting airline money.

Just remind us here on the NCL board to go over and see Ben on the Royal board :)

I agree with you. However, I think that one of the things that Ben likes is the NCL hospitality. I wonder if the RCI folks would appreciate Ben as much as we do.

The replies you're getting on Facebook are quite different than here :). I'd stick with your current plans. As you said yourself, changing airfare at this point is going to be either difficult or very expensive. You knew going in that it would be a different experience, and it will be. I'm sure you will have a great time regardless. Besides, you'll be on a brand new ship and reporting back to us drooling over the chance to be on that TA sailing!

Maybe Escape should be your next adventure?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am sure that Ben would be happy to be at sea again. I have been on one RCI cruise and it was good. I am sure that Ben will not have a problem making new friends, but he should not forget his loyal NCL fiends.

I'm not on FB, but I think it should be Escape vs Quantum. With Quantum losing by a mile.

Good luck with whatever Ben chooses.

Happy Sailing :)

Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

I'm not on FB, but I think it should be Escape vs Quantum. With Quantum losing by a mile.

Good luck with whatever Ben chooses.

Happy Sailing :)

Thanks Robin. I'm already committed to sailing Escape's maiden voyage in October 2015. So it's not an either or. I I have to decide really soon because Quantum sails this November. I think my choice is narrowing between Royal Quantum of the Seas transatlantic and Norwegian Jade to Greece/Mediteranean. I'm waiting for my TA to respond with what the damage is if I change my flight.

Edited by kylenyc

Hi Kyle,

When do you have to decide. I think Quantum's new dinning program sounds interesting (semi free style). The 270 space sounds promising. Why not wait another few months to decide.

But of course, we all love NCL and the perks which you are not going to get on RCI. Though choice .

Johan

Good idea. I have until July to decide.

The interior spaces (Two70 and the music hall sound) sound interesting, but that's the thing is, they are indoors venues. What made Breakaway's transatlantic great was being out on the Waterfront, Spice H2O, Sun Deck. Sports Complex every day and night. With Quantum's deck plan, I can't see where they will have room for such outdoor bar and lounges except at the pool, and maybe the Solarium and outdoor buffet assuming that's what will be aft.

Edited by kylenyc

I think Ben should stick with his original plan...new ship...new line...new experience! (Even though I would share Ben's concerns, the lack of outdoor space is somewhat limited, isn't it?) Is a balcony room booked? If not, I think I would be upgrading, if I could.

Yeah, the limited outdoor space makes me very nervous. Yes, I have a studio balcony reserved. But I don't plan on being in there much ;) I'd rather be at an outdoor bar lounge :p

Edited by kylenyc

I'm a similar position, having booked Quantum but unsure about whether or not I'll enjoy her as much as the Breakaway Class. Still, I intend to keep my booking and give her a shot anyway. I love RCI's past few generations of vessels, and Quantum looks like she will be a fantastic ship. She might not be as impressive as Oasis or Allure, but Quantum does offer a few interesting new venues that could be very enjoyable. Actually, the new Dynamic Dining concept seems more enticing than Freestyle. Having different menus in each of the MDRs is a fantastic development, and the quality of menu options also seems to be a step up from NCL. Hopefully NCL is taking notes! On top of that, we still don't really know much about what sorts of indoor facilities Quantum will offer. If the rumors are true, and she does have an Esplanade with a water feature, that could be very, very cool!

I'm not sure that a comparison between Breakaway's and Quantum's outdoor spaces is completely justified. Breakaway and Getaway are very much warm weather ships suited to cruising the Caribbean with tons of outdoor venues and spaces. That's perfectly fine considering NCL's more North American targeted approach to deployments, but RCI really needs to have the flexibility of having cold weather ships to handle some of their more eclectic itineraries. Case in point, Quantum is being deployed to Shanghai after her initial six months in New Jersey. Breakaway and Getaway are unlikely to leave their respective Bermuda and Caribbean itineraries anytime soon. Quantum has several covered indoor pool areas, and the Two70˚ Lounge is a nice compromise in providing a close connection to the sea even in bad weather.

Edited by barnacle_boy

I'm a similar position, having booked Quantum but unsure about whether or not I'll enjoy her as much as the Breakaway Class. Still, I intend to keep my booking and give her a shot anyway. I love RCI's past few generations of vessels, and Quantum looks like she will be a fantastic ship. She might not be as impressive as Oasis or Allure, but Quantum does offer a few interesting new venues that could be very enjoyable. Actually, the new Dynamic Dining concept seems more enticing than Freestyle. Having different menus in each of the MDRs is a fantastic development, and the quality of menu options also seems to be a step up from NCL. Hopefully NCL is taking notes! On top of that, we still don't really know much about what sorts of indoor facilities Quantum will offer. If the rumors are true, and she does have an Esplanade with a water feature, that could be very, very cool!

I'm not sure that a comparison between Breakaway's and Quantum's outdoor spaces is completely justified. Breakaway and Getaway are very much warm weather ships suited to cruising the Caribbean with tons of outdoor venues and spaces. That's perfectly fine considering NCL's more North American targeted approach to deployments, but RCI really needs to have the flexibility of having cold weather ships to handle some of their more eclectic itineraries. Case in point, Quantum is being deployed to Shanghai after her initial six months in New Jersey. Breakaway and Getaway are unlikely to leave their respective Bermuda and Caribbean itineraries anytime soon. Quantum has several covered indoor pool areas, and the Two70˚ Lounge is a nice compromise in providing a close connection to the sea even in bad weather.

Thanks. Good points. The indoor venues would certainly have an advantage in differing climates and poor weather. I do have every intention to sail Royal but I just realized now it doesn't have to be their maiden transatlantic. I'd have even more time to sail her out of Cape Liberty which is in my back yard. I will have soon sailed Gem 3 times and Breakaway 3 times in less than two years LOL. I'll need a change of pace for my annual cruise out of New York. I think I'm now leaning heavily on sailing the Jade in the Med to the Greek Isles - a totally new experience for me, and for the longest time, a place I've always wanted to visit above all other European destinations.

Thanks EVERYONE for helping Ben think things out! :D

I'll probably just book and hold Med cruise. I'll have a few months before I must choose.

Edited by kylenyc

2 aspects of Quantum that I really like. I love the lounge area that has the screen to make it feel like you are in the middle of the woods or under the stars. And they do entertainment in that area too. So freaking cool when I saw the demonstration.

The sky diving capsule is also pretty revolutionary and would love to try.

Here is what I am talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP8uzTkZPh4/

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke6S32M-hR4

Edited by david_sobe

Ben, stick with the original plan! Since you already have the airfare paid that would be a deal breaker for me. Can you stick on a Med/Greece cruise prior to the Transatlantic so you can keep your NCL fix before the crossing?

:eek: :eek: :eek: That would be insanely good!!! OMG! ideas ideas.

::faints::

You guys ROCK! My head's whirring now. The dates certainly fit B2B with a day in between. The thing was I was planning originally to fly into Amsterdam, take train through Brussels, Zurich, and the the Bernina Express through the Swiss Alps, and arrive in Venice. Although Greece sounds more appealing than snow hands down.

I might even be able to do all three if I beg borrow and plead for time off.

Edited by kylenyc

Just keep in mind that Quantum is only going to be in the New York area until the summer before being replaced by Liberty on the runs to Bermuda. If you're going to go, you have a very narrow window in which to do so. Otherwise, you'll have to wait until November for Anthem.

I've also done Jade around the Eastern Med and Greek Isles. It's a wonderful route on a wonderful ship. Unfortunately, that particular situation is also time sensitive, given that Jade is slated to leave Europe by the end of 2015 and it doesn't appear that NCL will replace her. Not only are Epic's European itineraries exclusively Western Med, the fact that a consortium of cruise lines agreed today to limit the cruise ships sailing out of Venice to 96,000GRT seems to permanently eliminate Epic as a possible replacement candidate.

Just keep in mind that Quantum is only going to be in the New York area until the summer before being replaced by Liberty on the runs to Bermuda. If you're going to go, you have a very narrow window in which to do so. Otherwise, you'll have to wait until November for Anthem.

I've also done Jade around the Eastern Med and Greek Isles. It's a wonderful route on a wonderful ship. Unfortunately, that particular situation is also time sensitive, given that Jade is slated to leave Europe by the end of 2015 and it doesn't appear that NCL will replace her. Not only are Epic's European itineraries exclusively Western Med, the fact that a consortium of cruise lines agreed today to limit the cruise ships sailing out of Venice to 96,000GRT seems to permanently eliminate Epic as a possible replacement candidate.

I can definitely fit Quantum in early 2015. But doing both Jade and Quantum B2B .. wow.

Yeah I remember reading something about Venice. I didn't know it would affect Jade and future travel like that. OMG decisions decisions.

Edited by kylenyc