Dry Tortugas In December

kalliyan1

We are thinking of doing the Dry Tortugas trip the end of December. Haven't decided yet on whether to take the ferry or seaplane. The questions I have are, during that time of the year, is it:

1. realistic to think the water will be warm enough to snorkel? What about with a wet suit?

2. If we take the ferry, can we pretty much count on a rough trip and extended time on the boat due to weather?

3. If we take the plane and assuming the water will not be warm enough to snorkel, will the half-day trip be sufficient to walk around the fort a couple of times, and do some exploring. We would have 2 1/2 hrs on the half day vs. 6 1/2 hrs for the full day.

Are there bathrooms on the island?

The water will be a bit chilly for snorkeling in my opinion but with a wet suit you may be fine.

If you take the ferry you will spend most of your day riding and it can be rough. I have seen quite a few sick upon arrival and recover only in time to begin the trip back.

If you take the seaplane (the only way to go in my opinion) it is around a 35min or so ride 500 feet above the water where you will see all sorts of fish and other wildlife and a couple of shipwrecks. On the half-day trip you will have time to walk the complete circumference of the fort and see all there is in the interior as well. There are only two bathrooms on the pier and that is it.

I hope you are planning a land vacation as I would not plan to do this on a cruise port day.

It is one of those trips you will talk about for years to come.

Mike

Thanks for your reply, yes we will be in Key West for a few nights! The biggest unknown is the weather and availability to snorkel which would determine 1/2 day or full day.

The water will be a bit chilly for snorkeling in my opinion but with a wet suit you may be fine.

If you take the ferry you will spend most of your day riding and it can be rough. I have seen quite a few sick upon arrival and recover only in time to begin the trip back.

If you take the seaplane (the only way to go in my opinion) it is around a 35min or so ride 500 feet above the water where you will see all sorts of fish and other wildlife and a couple of shipwrecks. On the half-day trip you will have time to walk the complete circumference of the fort and see all there is in the interior as well. There are only two bathrooms on the pier and that is it.

I hope you are planning a land vacation as I would not plan to do this on a cruise port day.

It is one of those trips you will talk about for years to come.

Mike

That's what I say; but you would be surprised:rolleyes:

Mike:)

Mike, thanks for all this info. We are now living in southwest florida and I am intrigued about a seaplane trip from KW to do this! Thanks again.