Prices at Mystic Mountain

bender031177

Note, if you look closely at this website it says that cruise passengers can't buy through them.....

That's true. This is from the website:

Important note for all cruise ship passengers:

If you are visiting via cruise ship these tours are not available online, please contact the cruise line directly to book activity tickets.

I didn't mean to suggest that the OP (or anyone else) should buy online. I only meant that the website provides information about prices. I believe the website prices are the same as the "at the door" prices at MM's ticket booth. Cruise passengers (and everyone else) can buy tickets there without being asked how they arrived in Jamaica. :cool:

I apologize if I caused any confusion. :o

I was wondering if it was possible to do the Dunn River Falls and the "Tranopy" tour at Mystic Mountain all in one day on a cruise stop? Thanks!

We did :-) Our ship got into port at about 10:00. We went to MM first & spent about 4 hours there. (sky lift up, observation tower, bob sled, zip line, sky lift back up, "museum", lunch, water-slide & quick dip in pool for pics, hummingbird garden, sky lift down) Then we went to DRF for about 2 hours. (2 trips up the falls) I would have liked to stay longer & climb the falls a third time, but by then they were closing for the day. (I believe that was at 4:00.) Neither place was busy when we were there, so we didn't have to spend hardly any time waiting in lines. Crowds could dramatically effect your ability to do everything.

Have fun! :D

Has anyone taken the RCI excursion for the two places i.e. DRF and the bobsled?

Wanted to know what the thoughts were regarding the queues etc, especially as we'll be on Oasis :confused:? Would welcome anyone's personal experiences. Thanks :).

That's true. This is from the website:

Important note for all cruise ship passengers:

If you are visiting via cruise ship these tours are not available online, please contact the cruise line directly to book activity tickets.

I didn't mean to suggest that the OP (or anyone else) should buy online. I only meant that the website provides information about prices. I believe the website prices are the same as the "at the door" prices at MM's ticket booth. Cruise passengers (and everyone else) can buy tickets there without being asked how they arrived in Jamaica. :cool:

I apologize if I caused any confusion. :o

Did you feel comfortable grabbing a cab at the port to take to you MM?

Did you feel comfortable grabbing a cab at the port to take to you MM?

Going into it I did--because of everything I read here before we left. But when we got to Ocho Rios, things did not go as I expected. Instead of docking at the main port where fares are apparently posted & there are supposed to be lines of taxis waiting, we went starboard to an industrial-looking port. :eek: (You can see it on GoogleEarth.) My comfort & confidence took a big hit for several reasons :)--it was a very odd situation. (I think it might have been a little uncomfortable for even seasoned cruisers, but we were on our 1st ever cruise & OR was only our 2nd port.) Everything worked out okay, but I can't say I was comfortable with how it went. I never felt unsafe--just anxious about things not being anything like what I expected. BUT, if I were going back to OR, I wouldn't think twice about grabbing a cab at the main port. ...and I wouldn't even be worried if we had to dock at the industrial port again. So long as the taxi had the red license plate & JTB (Jamaica Tourist Board) decal, I would feel comfortable.

I don't know if that helps or not. :-/ I certainly don't want to scare anyone off. I don't think getting a legal cab in OR could get much crazier than what we experienced, and what we went through wasn't enough to make me regret our decision to skip the excursions & head out on our own!

Enjoy your trip!

Does anyone know how much the taxi is to MM and how long it takes from Falmouth pier? We are going in May 2013 and DD wants to do the bobsled. We have already experienced the Falls and don't want to do that again. I heard the pool at MM is beautiful and the food is great. True, not true? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Dunner & utlisa1050, you're very welcome. :) The people on Cruise Critic were incredibly helpful to me when I was trying to figure this stuff out before our first cruise. I'm just trying to return the favor. :cool:

Annefran, true. ;) I thought the pool at MM was beautiful. It's a wonderful place to take pictures with your cruise ship in the background! The food was very good, and the portions were huge. We could have easily split one meal instead of ordering two. Try the festival! It's a delicious (and VERY filling) cross between a doughnut & cornbread. Ask your server to tell you about it. :cool:

I'm the OP for this question and we're back from our trip so I wanted to give so feedback. We ended up buying the Carnival excursion to Mystic Mountain and it was awesome. There isn't any signage at MM with prices or anything. I asked the lady if someone comes on their own how much it costs to do the bobsled and she seemed confused, looked at the other lady in her little booth then said $69.00 which is what we paid with Carnival.

We loved the sky explorer. Our 2 and 3 year olds managed just fine and I never felt worried about them. The chairlift guys were very helpful and they even strapped my toddlers in without me asking. We brought the stroller up the lift as well. My husband and older children did the bobsled and thought it was great. There was a long line though, about 45 minutes which was cut by 2/3 by the time we were leaving. It would be ideal to get there late morning rather than first thing when everyone else is arriving. We ended up swimming in the infinity pool which was small with very little seating around it. It's also in full shade in the am so it was kind of chilly sitting around it. The waterslide was fun though - it goes fast! You can take your children down it on your lap. No hard core safety rules here man! The jerk chicken with rice/beans was delicious. Huge portions so share. Dancers performed while we ate. I didn't get a chance to look around the museum as my kids were on the move but it looked interesting if I had time to focus on it. Same for the gift shop.

Overall it was a great way to spend 2-3 hours, fun for all ages.

I'm kind of a wimp when it comes to roller coasters. Does the bobsled have any real steep drops, like straight down where you feel your stomach in your throat?

I can go fast, just not straight down! :eek:

I asked my 7 year old and he said there weren't any steep drops. He said just small hills/drops, more than anything it was quick sharp turns that jolted the body around. You should be fine.

I asked my 7 year old and he said there weren't any steep drops. He said just small hills/drops, more than anything it was quick sharp turns that jolted the body around. You should be fine.

Thanks. Going to CCL website to book it now.

I'm the OP for this question and we're back from our trip so I wanted to give so feedback.

Welcome back AandBmom :) Thanks for updating us. I'm glad you guys had fun! Thanks for sharing about your toddlers being strapped in on the sky explorer. I'm sure that will reassure a lot of parents who are researching MM.

FWIW... Unless I'm missing something, you aren't the OP. To the best of my knowledge, the "OP" is the "Original Poster"--the person who started the thread. This thread was started by bender031177. It's no big deal; I just didn't want anyone to be confused. ...especially if I'm the one who is confused & I have the OP abbreviation wrong! :-o

Thanks again!

Welcome back AandBmom :) Thanks for updating us. I'm glad you guys had fun! Thanks for sharing about your toddlers being strapped in on the sky explorer. I'm sure that will reassure a lot of parents who are researching MM.

FWIW... Unless I'm missing something, you aren't the OP. To the best of my knowledge, the "OP" is the "Original Poster"--the person who started the thread. This thread was started by bender031177. It's no big deal; I just didn't want anyone to be confused. ...especially if I'm the one who is confused & I have the OP abbreviation wrong! :-o

Thanks again!

You know what you're totally correct. I thought I was the OP but I posted a similar but different question on the same topic. My oops.

• 10 months later...

We are taking Holland America and the only excursion they have with the MM bobsleds also includes Dunns River Falls. We have done DRF before and only want to do the bobsleds. Does anyone know how much the taxi is from the port in Ocho Rios to MM? If the cruise line doesn't have the excursion we want there hopefully won't be problem purchasing tickets at MM!

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Royal Caribbean price from Falmouth for MM is $140. The price has increased dramatically for this excursion, even taking the transportation from Falmouth into account! I'd happily pay $69...not sure about $140.

I'm not thrilled about the $140 priced charged by RCL, but I have been unable to find anyone independent who will provide the tour from Falmouth for cheaper than this. The RCL tour includes the bobsled, zipline and chair lift ride. This is called the tranopy tour and on the Mystic Mountain web site it's listed as $137.50 and that's w/o transportation.

We'd be fine doing just the bob sled at $68, but can't find transport any cheaper to justify it. Do you happen to know anyone who will do this tour from Falmouth w/ transport for less than the $140 charged by RCL?

Always prefer to book independently if/when we can!

• 1 year later...

Thanks everyone for the great discussion on MM, special thanks to AandBmom who confirms the safety of the sky explorer.

My cruise ship (Harmony of the Seas) will be docking at Falmouth, and I am interested in taking my toddlers (2 and 3 years old) to MM. RCL only offers excursions with Bobsled / zipline, or 6-hr Sky Explorer + Falls tour, so I have no choice but go on my own.

Anyone took taxi from Falmouth to MM? Do you feel easy and safe? or you would recommend going with private tour company like Jaital? Thanks.

• 4 months later...

We are considering the excursion through RCCL that includes the skylift, bobsled and canopy zipline tour (Canopy Adventure and Aerial Explorer Bobsled). We have some questions:

1. What is the travel time from Falmouth?

2. Is it worth the $149 price tag? We have a 9 and 10 year old so we know they would enjoy this kind of tour, but $596 is steep for a half day's adventure. I realize everything is subjective, but would like honest opinions from folks who have done it.

3. I see many mentions of a slide/pool....is that included or is that extra?

4. Nothing in the excursion description says anything about lunch and this is shown as a 6 hour tour. Is that on your own? Do they allocate time for lunch or do you just make sure to eat before you go (11am departure time)?

Thank you!

• 1 month later...

My 16 YO DD and I did this tour last week as a night-before decision from the Liberty of the Seas excursion desk ($149 ea.) We typically book independent excursions or take cabs in other ports but I was uncomfortable doing this in Jamaica. I'll try to answer your questions below...

We are considering the excursion through RCCL that includes the skylift, bobsled and canopy zipline tour (Canopy Adventure and Aerial Explorer Bobsled). We have some questions:

1. What is the travel time from Falmouth? - About 1 hour in air conditioned bus with a Jamaican guide who was interactive with guests and tried to make it fun. No food, drinks, or restrooms included on bus.

2. Is it worth the $149 price tag? We have a 9 and 10 year old so we know they would enjoy this kind of tour, but $596 is steep for a half day's adventure. I realize everything is subjective, but would like honest opinions from folks who have done it. - We enjoyed the three activities, especially the 15 min. chair lift ride/view, the Bobsled ride was very quick but fun, my DD and I connected our Bobsleds together or you can go solo. We did 5 zip lines/bridge and the two guides made it exceptional - especially with the younger kids and my DD. That was our favorite

3. I see many mentions of a slide/pool....is that included or is that extra? - It was included but I didn't know it beforehand so didn't bring swim suits/towels. There was plenty of time in between activities to enjoy (unless lines were long??)

4. Nothing in the excursion description says anything about lunch and this is shown as a 6 hour tour. Is that on your own? Do they allocate time for lunch or do you just make sure to eat before you go (11am departure time)? - Nothing was provided. There is plenty of time to go upstairs and purchase food or drinks if you choose. We had cheese sticks and a Jamaican meat patty (like an empanada) with fries - which were good. There are shops and Jamaican performers to kill the time with in between activities as well - the waiting in between seemed excessive but we were the only ship in port so it wasn't very busy there.

There are also a couple huts with fresh fruit and drinks at the base where you wait for your group to finish after going down the lift before re-boarding the bus. I got a Red Stripe Beer and a Sprite for $9. There is a very pretty creek area with a unique tree and pretty fauna. Guides and driver hint/welcome tips and we were glad we brought bring bug spray and water with us - hope that helps!

Thank you!