New Camera Help

l2f

Hello,

Looking to buy a new camera. I have read many threads on here. I haven't heard the Canon A120 mentioned.

This is one camera I'm considering.

I would like to spend no more than $300 ish. Want more or a pocket size camera.

I see many talk about the RX100 here. So my question for this camera is the RX100 that far behind the RX100M2 or RX100III. Although I know the M2 and III are way above my preferred price point.

Hello,

Looking to buy a new camera. I have read many threads on here. I haven't heard the Canon A120 mentioned.

This is one camera I'm considering.

I would like to spend no more than $300 ish. Want more or a pocket size camera.

I see many talk about the RX100 here. So my question for this camera is the RX100 that far behind the RX100M2 or RX100III. Although I know the M2 and III are way above my preferred price point.

When the RX100 came out, it was a ground-breaking single entry in a new class of compact camera that took near-DSLR quality photos while fitting neatly into your pocket. That hasn't changed. :) The MII and MIII models added bells and whistles based on user input but the original RX100 is now a real bargain for the price.

Dave

Edited by pierces

The Canon S120 is not in the same class of camera as the Sony products you mentioned. A comparable Canon would be the G range, specifically the G7X.

The S120 is a reasonable point & shoot with the same DIGIC 6 processor that is supplied to high end DSLR's. The lens has a good range of 24 to 120mm, which gives you wide angle shots and a reasonable telephoto. ISO range of 80 to 12800 should cover most low light situations. Lens max aperture of f/1.8 will provide lots of light and depth of field, but it does reduce when you zoom.

Online reviews are good, especially for the price point.

I would not look at the RX100 M2 -- The differences with the first version was very minor, and not really worth paying more for. (Unless you feel you really need wifi).

The Canon S120 is a capable point and shoot, a half step above most point and shoot cameras. And the RX100 is several steps above that.

There are some significant differences between the original RX100 and the M3 -- They use the same basic sensor. In that sense, they will have very similar low light performance and image quality, but the M3 has what I would consider, 3 real upgrades, that make real differences in using the camera and getting high quality images:

The M3 has an electronic viewfinder. This doesn't affect image quality, but it does affect using the camera. Big selling point for some.

The M3 has improved stabilization -- will lead to better IQ.

The biggie -- The M3 has the equivalent of a 24-70/1.8-2.8 lens. The M1 (and M2) have a 28-100/1.8-4.9. What this means --- The M3 lens is wider (24 vs 28, much better landscapes). The M1 has longer reach (100 as opposed to 70). More importantly -- They both have fast 1.8 lenses at the widest angle. But as you zoom in -- The M3 stays pretty fast -- 2.8 aperture. But the M1 slows down immensely. At 70mm, the M1 is a f4 lens, while the M3 is a 2.8 lens.

That means, if you are shooting at 70mm, you can use ISO 400 on the M3, where you might need ISO 800 on the M1 -- A 1 stop improvement.

So the RX100M3 is about double the price of the RX100. At under $400, I still think the original RX100 is a great camera, and a real value at that price. You will not find any other sub-$400 cameras that can match it. But the RX100M3 does have some significant upgrades that make it an even better camera.

Thanks for the responses.

Looks like the Canon G1 X is on sale right now for $400. A huge discount. Must be a new model replacing it.

Any thoughts on the G1 X

Edited by l2f

Sorry. I mis typed. The Canon I was asking about is the

Canon S120.

I have owned the Canon S100 for several years and it is my pocket camera that goes everywhere with me on a cruise. It is unobtrusive and I use it mainly for on-board and dining photographs:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Westerdam-On-Board-10-2-14.pdf

The S120 is two upgrades from my model and I have been considering the same purchase. The ability to shoot RAW and movies is a real plus. You would have a great P&S camera that will fit in a shirt pocket if you purchase the S120.

I have owned the Canon S100 for several years and it is my pocket camera that goes everywhere with me oruise.

Do you use your s100 off the ship, say excursions, beach. if so how does it do. also how is the software to use on computer.

Probably should of asked about the G16. Not the G1 X

Haven't looked at the G Series since the G9, which my daughter uses and the wife had a G10. They are excellent P&S cameras that can be used in full auto, or through the menu structure you have most of the features available on the mid range DSLR's.

The G16 reviews I read were positive, although the added features from the G15 were minimal. The cons were mainly operation in low light.

Haven't looked at the G Series since the G9, which my daughter uses and the wife had a G10. They are excellent P&S cameras that can be used in full auto, or through the menu structure you have most of the features available on the mid range DSLR's.

The G16 reviews I read were positive, although the added features from the G15 were minimal. The cons were mainly operation in low light.

The main drawback with the G series is the size. If you're willing to give up pocketability, you could get a Sony A5000 with the 16-50 zoom for about $450. With the zoom attached, it is roughly the same size, weight and price as the G16 and the option to change lenses along with the improved image quality would make it an easy choice for me.

Since the OP was originally looking at pocketable cameras, I suppose points for or against the larger cameras are moot anyway.

Dave

Do you use your s100 off the ship, say excursions, beach. if so how does it do. also how is the software to use on computer.

I may have a few excursion pictures with my S100 and I am sure it would be fine for excursions. The image stabilization system does very well stopping blurred images. This camera has a blink shutter feature that will trip the shutter once the photographer gets into the picture and blinks an eye. To be honest, I have not tried that feature but it sounds pretty cool.

The Canon software works well for enhancing the pictures but I use Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop for my photographs.

I use my Olympus OM-D M-1 small DSLR with 12-40 and 50-150mm zoom lenses for excursions. This camera will definitely will not fit in a pocket and I would be very hesitant to expose it to a lot of beach sand.

I also have the S100 and think it's a great camera - for comparison purposes my main camera is a Nikon high end DSLR (D300 for anyone that cares) .

I use the Canon primarily as an underwater camera (in appropriate housing of course) but also use it when I want something light and/or discreet that I can stick in a pocket. It does very well. Only real shortcoming for me is it isn't wide enough. 24mm equivalent isn't quite wide enough to be ideal but it's a worthwhile trade-off for what I use it for (good example is at an amusement park with the kids) .

Worth looking at is the Canon S110 - recently discontinued predecessor of the S120. Not sure how the two differ but you can find S110's at the major online retailers for $200 vs. $400 for an S120.

Thanks everyone.

One of the posts (#8 I believe) mentions 2 upgrades on the S120. I looked on Snapsort and compared the two. There seems to be several differences/upgrades.

FWIW, I've had the even older S95 for several years and found it to be an excellent advanced point and shoot that easily fits into a jeans pocket. The S120 builds on that. I did break down this spring and rather than upgrading to the S120, I went with the G7X, which so far I find to be an amazing camera, but it is definitely bigger than the S120. If you want a very good camera that fits in a pocket (or presumably a purse; don't carry one of those!), the S120 is an outstanding choice.

Just when I thought I figured it out and was going to buy the S120 a guy at work is selling his like new condition RX100 (manufactured in Japan edition) with extra battery and case for a little less than the S120 on sale. I was going to pull the trigger and get the S120. The price was the main reason, and it seems the S120 would everything I wanted the camera to do. Couldn't justify going $300+ over my initial budget for the RX100.

But now......

Edited by l2f

Personally, if a new product meets my requirements, I will always opt for new over a used product with more features, especially if price is similar.

I just can't give up the manufacturer's warranty coupled with additional warranty through the credit card. Most of the time you never require warranty, but it's reassuring to know it is there.

With P&S cameras my concerns for used product is how many times has the camera been dropped and has it got sand from use of the beach.

I understand what your saying about new vs. used. Even though the person sounds like her has taking great care, you never know.

I plan to go to store and handle a new RX100 (and S120 as well) then go see the guy shortly after. Hopefully this will help me compare.

One thing is I would like to know how he got a made in Japan model. I called Sony and they said they had no way to tell me to identify (via serial number or what have you) So I guess the box.

Still may go for the S120. But I do have it down to these two cameras. More than when I started this thread.

Thanks everyone.

Thought I would come back and provide an update. I ended up buying the used RX100 (made in Japan model) from the guy at work. He had the paperwork where he just had it professionally checked out and cleaned. Plus probably $75-$100 in extras.

Looks like I have a lot of reading to do.

Thanks for those who provide answers to my questions.