Enough time for a trip to Maho?

iheartmarshall

DH and I will be in St. Maarten in December from 9:00a - 6:00p. We're taking a ship excursion that should be over by 1:30p at the latest. Afterwards, we'd like to take a taxi to Maho beach for an hour to see the planes coming in. I've read to allow about 40-45 minutes one way for the taxis and by that account, I would hope to be back at the port by 5:00p at the latest.

For those of you who have been there, is this realistic and something we could accomplish? Or are we cutting it too close? If this isn't doable, we'll just hang out at the port after our excursion but we'd love to be super tourists and check out Maho if possible. Looking forward to your feedback/experiences!

If your tour is over at 1:30, you could get to Maho by taxi by about 2:00 - have time to see a few planes come in and out - and head back by 3:30 or so (you have to allow as much as an hour or more due to heavy PM traffic). A lot of the large plane traffic - in and out - takes place early to mid afternoon, and how many times do you need to get sand-blasted?

If your tour is over at 1:30, you could get to Maho by taxi by about 2:00 - have time to see a few planes come in and out - and head back by 3:30 or so (you have to allow as much as an hour or more due to heavy PM traffic). A lot of the large plane traffic - in and out - takes place early to mid afternoon, and how many times do you need to get sand-blasted?

Very true! We honestly just want the touristy photo op, to say we've been there. The real treat is our excursion in the morning so Maho is just a fun extra. I know we have a while until the cruise, but I think we'll plan on catching a taxi and going out there.

Thanks!

Very true! We honestly just want the touristy photo op, to say we've been there. The real treat is our excursion in the morning so Maho is just a fun extra. I know we have a while until the cruise, but I think we'll plan on catching a taxi and going out there.

Thanks!

You are on a ships excursion so I would see if there is one scheduled for an afternoon departure. I would take 10:30-12:30 at Maho compared to 2:15-4:15 given the opportunity.

You are on a ships excursion so I would see if there is one scheduled for an afternoon departure. I would take 10:30-12:30 at Maho compared to 2:15-4:15 given the opportunity.

The excursion we want to go on only departs at 9:30; there's not a second option in the afternoon unfortunately. I figure we would end the excursion, grab a quick bite to eat, and then head to Maho to be touristy. We'll see if it works out that way, but right now it's the plan.

The larger planes - which are the more interesting to see coming in low over the water - only start arriving from US mainland and Europe after noon - you are not likely to see anything but two prop puddle jumpers before then

The larger planes - which are the more interesting to see coming in low over the water - only start arriving from US mainland and Europe after noon - you are not likely to see anything but two prop puddle jumpers before then

That is not necessarily true. I have seen with my own two eyes the KLM arrive around 10:45 in the summer. Even with the time change that would put it in at 11:45 winter time. Sure it was due in around 11 or shortly thereafter. I have seen it many times around 11-11:10. That's noon in the winter months.

If the OP gets to Maho by 2:15 and stays until 3:45 they should see plenty of planes so that is probably the best bet. For those visiting after our daylight savings time change I would choose 10:30-12:30 over a 2:15 arrival myself. Many planes in the summer arrive on time or ahead of schedule.

The excursion we want to go on only departs at 9:30; there's not a second option in the afternoon unfortunately. I figure we would end the excursion, grab a quick bite to eat, and then head to Maho to be touristy. We'll see if it works out that way, but right now it's the plan.

I would suggest that you check the plane schedule for the day of the week that you are arriving on for a few weeks before your date. If the schedule shows that many planes are landing between 2:00-3:00, I honestly think that skipping lunch and heading straight to Maho would be your best bet. A quick lunch is 30 minutes plus by time you get through the security line, walk down the pier, get on the ship, get your food, eat and get off of the ship and walk down the pier and to the taxi area. It sounds like the Maho stop is important to you so this is just something to consider. :)

That is not necessarily true. I have seen with my own two eyes the KLM arrive around 10:45 in the summer. Even with the time change that would put it in at 11:45 winter time. Sure it was due in around 11 or shortly thereafter. I have seen it many times around 11-11:10. That's noon in the winter months.

If the OP gets to Maho by 2:15 and stays until 3:45 they should see plenty of planes so that is probably the best bet. For those visiting after our daylight savings time change I would choose 10:30-12:30 over a 2:15 arrival myself. Many planes in the summer arrive on time or ahead of schedule.

OP was talk about a December visit. The trans-Atlantic flights from Paris and Amsterdam arrive around 12:40 and 3:05 - on days when there are two - it seems there is always a 3:05 scheduled arrival that time of year.

OP was talk about a December visit. The trans-Atlantic flights from Paris and Amsterdam arrive around 12:40 and 3:05 - on days when there are two - it seems there is always a 3:05 scheduled arrival that time of year.

Yes in the winter they may come closer to the scheduled time but in the summer they are almost always early, especially the KLM.

When we were there in May, the KLM came in at 11:10am. We missed it coming in because we were over at Mullet thinking we'd leave around 11:30 in order to get there by the time it arrived. We did get to see it take off though.

I know the time for sure because I checked the picture info.

P5200403-L.jpg