Speciaal restaurant

beasfriend

Commanders Palace, Restaurant August, Antoine's, Arnaud's, Broussard's, Galatoire's, Mr B's Bistro, NOLA, Pelican Club, R'evolution, and a few others. There are many outstanding restaurants in New Orleans. Not one is way above the others.

If you are looking for a real budget-buster, try Square Root, at 1800 Magazine Street. It has only been open for about a year, but the reviews have been excellent.

It seats 18, by reservation only. You pay in advance. No refunds if you don't show up. Multi-course dinner with a fixed menu.

I haven't been there, and probably never will unless wife hits the Powerball.

It depends on what you are looking for in a celebration meal.

Galatoire's is fantastic and my personal favorite of the old-style New Orleans restaurants, but will not take reservations for parties of less than 8, so you may have to wait in line (outside on Bourbon Street) depending on when you go. It's also considered THE place for old-style New Orleans seafood and egg dishes.

Antoine's is a classic old-style New Orleans restaurant and well worth it for celebrations, but it is not comparable to similarly priced restaurants in other cities. One time I was there and a couple from New York was dining at a table behind me. They were quite loud with their comments, and none of them were complimentary to Antoine's. I really like the classic New Orleans feel, but I prefer people to be armed with knowledge.

Commander's Palace is excellent and the service is fantastic. I'm lucky to know the owners personally, though I have not seen any evidence that this makes my experiences significantly different than anyone else's. Dinner at Commander's is an experience.

None of the classic New Orleans restaurants serve meals in the style that is popular now, it's not cute plates of art. So if you are expecting a meal of fancy dishes with foams and new techniques, you will be disappointed. But they all serve meals that are good food and a fantastic, unique experience.

But since you asked, my preference would be Galatoire's. Though if you would be willing to consider a progressive meal, I would do appetizers at Arnaud's, mains at Galatoire's, and desserts at Commander's Palace. That would be the perfect New Orleans meal for me.

Love the idea of a progressive meal, but probably would not make it to the end by the time the restaurants closed. Waiting time would involve alcohol and therefore interfere with the enjoyment of the food. Am thinking about doing this on our cruise - have the UDP and it should work.

• 3 weeks later...

You probably have made your restaurant plans. There are a number of restaurants in the city where you can have a very special dinner. I will offer four quick comments:

1. You can't go wrong with Commander's Palace, which is the restaurant that first comes to mind. Try to get a table in the Garden Room.

2. I would stay away from Antoine's. If you are going with friends who are regulars or if you have a waiter lined up, Antoine's can be a great dining experience. But if you simply walk in without having a waier lined up, the service can be terrible. I would not take that chance.

3. I love Galatoire's (first level only). But I suspect that most from outside Louisiana would prefer Commander's.

4. There are a number of high-end restaurants in town like Restaurant August that I have never eaten at.

Edited by Reggiefan

• 2 weeks later...

For a special occasion.... GW Fins or Restaurant R'evolution. Both are on Bienville.

ImageUploadedByForums1427852256.886333.jpg.a0f65436ecda4c5fe082a3768aef1495.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1427852291.845738.jpg.27e2c009383f163b98810854e88989c0.jpg

The pictures posted are from GW Fins, if you tell them that it's a special occasion when you make your reservation the go above and beyond to make it special.

• 2 months later...

Galatoire's Restaurant is my favorite, but I've been to the others. I even flew down there to celebrate my 55th birthday with friends earlier this year. Get there early and sit on the first floor. No self respecting New Orlinean would make reservations and sit on the second floor. We were there for five hours at the Tennessee Williams table, and it was an incredible New Orleans experience. Ask for Shelly to be your waiter; you won't be sorry.

You're making me hungry for the food in New Orleans. I've been there twice and usually on a tight budget, so dinner is usually under $20. Would love to try real New Orleans cuisine; however, a wee problem with eating peppers and anything spicy (mild salsa sauce is too hot n spicy). Want to have a bowl of gumbo so bad, but the spices and peppers would do me in....One day I'll say screw it and eat the tums, pepto, and Zantac before I eat and hope it stops the tummy problems and I can enjoy the food.

You're making me hungry for the food in New Orleans. I've been there twice and usually on a tight budget, so dinner is usually under $20. Would love to try real New Orleans cuisine; however, a wee problem with eating peppers and anything spicy (mild salsa sauce is too hot n spicy). Want to have a bowl of gumbo so bad, but the spices and peppers would do me in....One day I'll say screw it and eat the tums, pepto, and Zantac before I eat and hope it stops the tummy problems and I can enjoy the food.

You can definitely do classic New Orleans neighborhood cuisine for under $20/person. You may have to take a taxi and go "off the beaten tourist path," but it is definitely do-able. Red beans & rice are a good choice, and not spicy unless you add too much Crystal Hot Sauce at the table. Po-boys are another relatively inexpensive choice, and not usually spicy.

I hate that everyone thinks New Orleans cuisine has to be spicy. That's Hollywood, not reality. My family is old New Orleans and I don't think I ever saw anything spicier than bell peppers in my grandmother/great-aunt's kitchens. The "everything must be too hot to eat comfortably" is Hollywood and Emeril influence and, frankly, Emeril is from Massachusetts, so I never listen to him as far as "authentic" New Orleans or Cajun cuisine goes.

You can definitely do classic New Orleans neighborhood cuisine for under $20/person. You may have to take a taxi and go "off the beaten tourist path," but it is definitely do-able. Red beans & rice are a good choice, and not spicy unless you add too much Crystal Hot Sauce at the table. Po-boys are another relatively inexpensive choice, and not usually spicy.

I hate that everyone thinks New Orleans cuisine has to be spicy. That's Hollywood, not reality. My family is old New Orleans and I don't think I ever saw anything spicier than bell peppers in my grandmother/great-aunt's kitchens. The "everything must be too hot to eat comfortably" is Hollywood and Emeril influence and, frankly, Emeril is from Massachusetts, so I never listen to him as far as "authentic" New Orleans or Cajun cuisine goes.

Glad you posted this. I do not like spicy. I have eaten seafood gumbo at many places in New Orleans and none have been spicy or loaded with peppers.