helo + rain question

reefgirl

Planning a helo trip in Juneau next week. Looks like we'll have rain. I understand that weather is uncertain this far out but will helos fly in the rain? We were scheduled to fly a helicopter out of Juneau 6 years ago and it was canx due to weather. I was also scheduled to fly a helo in Kauai, but on the way to the airport I got, not one, but two flat tires. Hawaii and their pot holes :mad:. I even worked on CH46's in the Marine Corps and didn't get to fly one (that was OK by me). So it seems we are destined to never fly one. Whatever happens, happens, but I would appreciate what people's experiences have been with the weather. Thank you, Angie

Edited to add: I understand that helos fly in the rain, but are trips likely to be cancelled due to rain?

You already know the answer. It all depends on the weather. Rain won't ground you but often it is accompanied by fog, which is a deal breaker, and it may be fine in Juneau but the weather may be lousy at your destination. So the bottom line is it is anyone's guess.

#1: Never, ever think the forecast is correct. It changes hourly in Alaska.

#2 Even if it rains, they might still fly. And, the weather where they land can be totally different.

#3 - Hope for the best.

We did a floatplane one year, and a helo the next. Both were great!

FlightTours depend on the ceiling and visibility. On our cruise last August, FlightTours in Juneau and Skagway due to low ceilings (gotta be able to see the mountains as you fly). No rain, no fog, just clouds below the allowable ceilings. People were furious, yelling at the ShoreEx staff in the Theater as they tried to book other tours at the last minute.