Choosing between Westerdam or Amsterdam for our 50th Wedding Anniversary

JimAOk1945

I'm thinking about booking one or the other for our 50th anniversary next Summer. Although we have been on two Alaska cruises on other cruise lines, we have not visited Sitka and are looking forward to seeing it.

For anyone who has cruised on either one or both of these ships, can you tell me a little about your onboard experience and, if you have been on both ships, which ship you preferred.

Thanks!

Edited by JimAOk1945

I'm thinking about booking one or the other for our 50th anniversary next Summer. Although we have been on two Alaska cruises on other cruise lines, we have not visited Sitka and are looking forward to seeing it.

For anyone who has cruised on either one or both of these ships, can you tell me a little about your onboard experience and, if you have been on both ships, which ship you preferred.

Thanks!

Congratulations on your 50th.

Sorry that I cannot comment on the Amsterdam in Alaska but here is a pdf tour of the Westerdam from my website:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=1561

I highly recommend the excursion Otters, Raptors, and Bears. It starts with otter and whale watching, followed by a visit to a raptor rehab center, and then a visit to the Fortress of the Bear.

Here is a link to the On Locations (daily activities) that we had July 2014 on the Westerdam:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=1643

If possible grab an aft-wrap cabin on Deck 5 that is fully covered. You will be able to sit on your verandah no matter how much it rains in Glacier Bay.

Edited by Crew News

Happy 50th Anniversary.

That is so cool.

I have cruised on both ships, and this would be a tough decision that is for sure. Love both these ships. I would say that the Amsterdam is more intimate then the Westerdam but they both have wonderful crews and Captains. I would say that the Amsterdam has better art work but there is so little difference, I don't think you could go wrong with either ships.

Congratulations on your upcoming 50th anniversary.

We have sailed on both ships quite a few times and on both to Alaska.

They are both great ships.

But I would tend to celebrate on the Westerdam. It's Pinnacle Grill is located such that there are windows to look out. On the Amsterdam the Pinnacle grill is located on the Promenade Deck and there are only 3 windows that look out into a Hallway.

Alaska is all about the scenery.

I've sailed on both ships, and several times to Alaska on the Amsterdam. Clearly, she is my choice between the two in this area.

First, are the itineraries the same? In Alaska, itinerary rules. Go with the ship that takes you where you want to go.

Second, if they are the same itinerary, which day of the week shares the ports (and the airport) with fewer ships/passengers. Alaska ports are overwhelmed with tourists, but you do get a better experience when there are fewer of them.

Third, the Amsterdam is one of the fleet's co-Flagships, and as such is especially beautiful. Also, she is smaller than the Westerdam, so easier to get around. She has a lot of aft outdoor space, much of it with shelter, from which you can watch the expansive scenery. You miss a lot if you don't get outdoors on the public decks.

Whatever you choose, you really can't go wrong. Have a great time in The Great Land.

Been on both. Love them both. Amsterdam is smaller which is good in some ways, Less people. If they both go to the same place and which one fits your schedule then ether one . We have a family trip going in June of this year on the Westerdam :):) PS I would be sure and go to Glacier Bay if only one goes there. Bill

The pdf tour is great! My wife and I spent a lot of time looking through all of it. After viewing your pictures, I have thought of a few questions.

Am I correct in thinking the SB Neptune Suites are all smaller than the SA category?

Are the tenders visible when you look down from your balcony?

Did you book the Otters, Raptors, and Bears tour through HAL?

Thanks!

Hi Everyone,

OP here. Thanks to everyone who read my question and took the time to answer and contribute your thoughts and suggestions. We are very excited about celebrating our anniversary (it's such a monumental milestone) by cruising on HAL!

We both love cruising and Alaska very much. We are looking forward to our HAL experience. We are very impressed by what we have seen in the CC reviews and pictures taken by HAL cruisers.

After reading through Crew News website, we decided to splurge on a Neptune Suite. After comparing itineraries, we chose the Westerdam because it goes to Glacier Bay. We have already seen Tracy Arm, but that would be a very nice second choice if we need to have an alternate itinerary for any reason.

Please feel free to come back and leave any other tips or thoughts that you may think of. I will be back on the HAL board from time to time.

I hope HAL opens it's Summer 2016 Alaska cruises soon. We are so excited that it's hard to wait. :D

Edited by JimAOk1945

The pdf tour is great! My wife and I spent a lot of time looking through all of it. After viewing your pictures, I have thought of a few questions.

Am I correct in thinking the SB Neptune Suites are all smaller than the SA category?

Are the tenders visible when you look down from your balcony?

Did you book the Otters, Raptors, and Bears tour through HAL?

Thanks!

SB aft cabins (5190 or 5191) are slightly smaller than the rest of the Neptune Suites but have balconies that can easily accommodate 25 of your friends. They are also fully covere. All other SA and SB are pretty much the same size. Difference is location from the Neptune Lounge.

If you are on the side of the ship near the Neptune Lounge, they are visible but not blocking of your view.

Booked the excursion through HAL.

Enjoy your Neptune Suite.

Edited by Crew News

SB aft cabins (5190 or 5191) are slightly smaller than the rest of the Neptune Suites but have balconies that can easily accommodate 25 of your friends. They are also fully covere. All other SA and SB are pretty much the same size. Difference is location from the Neptune Lounge.

If you are on the side of the ship near the Neptune Lounge, they are visible but not blocking of your view.

Booked the excursion through HAL.

Enjoy your Neptune Suite.

Thanks for coming back to answer my questions. You have been very helpful. Happy cruising to you and your wife.