Wifi on Cruise

gregokeys

First time cruiser! Is it better to purchase things before the cruise or will you get better deals once you are on board. Thinking about purchasing the wifi package because traveling with the teens and want to be able to communicate with them. Also does the wifi work well in most places onboard?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! We always watch for a sale and buy the wifi before. Coverage can be spotty depending on the carrier, ship and even the deck you're on. It's always been adequate, particularly in the last couple of years. Still expensive though.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! We always watch for a sale and buy the wifi before. Coverage can be spotty depending on the carrier, ship and even the deck you're on. It's always been adequate, particularly in the last couple of years. Still expensive though.

All of these questions vary by cruise line. So, without knowing what cruise line you are going on...hard to give you solid answers.

So, generally, expensive (but not always a real problem). Generally slower than you are used to, but not always. Sometimes better to buy in advance, sometimes the best prices are when you buy on the first day aboard.

Lastly, while some cruise lines have various methods that are cheaper to communicate on board (again, varies by cruise line), you are on vacation, and you don't need to communicate 24/7.

First time cruiser! Is it better to purchase things before the cruise or will you get better deals once you are on board. Thinking about purchasing the wifi package because traveling with the teens and want to be able to communicate with them. Also does the wifi work well in most places onboard?

Are you talking about teenS? - and getting wifi package for each? Pricey alternative to simply telling them to meet you at set times and places - or to leave notes in cabin if plans change.

This was just discussed in another thread. I learned something new in that thread, that on cruise ships that offer free access to the wifi for only shipboard websites, there is software you can install called LAN messengers that can perhaps let you message each other without having to pay for a wifi package.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

• 3 months later...

We are going on Libery of the Seas? I thought I read somewhere they have computers available to you. Is that the case, even if I don't purchase a internet package, can I go to the computer "lab" and check my email?

quote=easyboy;52487038]What cruise line are you taking?

Fwir, it works the same whether you're using your own computers or theirs. Depending on the cruise line, there may be some onboard resources you can access but there's no computer lab on any of the US based mainline mass market lines that offers free unrestricted Internet access.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

We are going on Libery of the Seas? I thought I read somewhere they have computers available to you. Is that the case, even if I don't purchase a internet package, can I go to the computer "lab" and check my email?

quote=easyboy;52487038]What cruise line are you taking?

Unless you have some sort of status or perk you'll be charged for access.

You can go to the computer "cafe" and use their computers or your own laptop. I used my own laptop in the cafe early in the morning or late at night for the best wifi signal and speed.

Last cruise I was on, NCL, they charged by the minute (other lines charge by the megabyte). If you plan on using more than y minutes or x megabytes the pricing may be better on a plan.

As other have mentioned most mainstream lines/ships have an app that you can use during your cruise and only on board. NCL for example has a per device charge for the duration of your cruise to use the app to communicate with others on board. Without the comm-comm feature it's free to use to check your account, make reservations, or book excursions. While it uses the ship's wifi, the app does not allow you to connect to the www.

Awesome. Thanks for the info!!

Unless you have some sort of status or perk you'll be charged for access.

You can go to the computer "cafe" and use their computers or your own laptop. I used my own laptop in the cafe early in the morning or late at night for the best wifi signal and speed.

Last cruise I was on, NCL, they charged by the minute (other lines charge by the megabyte). If you plan on using more than y minutes or x megabytes the pricing may be better on a plan.

As other have mentioned most mainstream lines/ships have an app that you can use during your cruise and only on board. NCL for example has a per device charge for the duration of your cruise to use the app to communicate with others on board. Without the comm-comm feature it's free to use to check your account, make reservations, or book excursions. While it uses the ship's wifi, the app does not allow you to connect to the www.