Taking your Suggestions for Naples!

faith4keep

Hello everyone! I've done lots of research on Naples and just can't decide what to do. Here's what you need to know:

• We're a group of 4 and all in our late 20s or early 30s.
  • We may break off, so it might just be my boyfriend and I on our own.
  • This will be our first time to Naples.
  • None of us are really interested in ruins: Pompeii seems out but I could be convinced.
  • I am not interested in shopping/browsing, particularly at touristy places.
  • We all love fantastic, picturesque views.
  • We all love great food & drink.
  • We all are into adventurous and/or fitness related things
  • I prefer to have set things to see/do rather than get to a place and "explore"

My grandparents (who have traveled the world) said the Amalfi Coast is the most beautiful thing they have seen in the world. So, that is a priority for me.

My first idea was to take a private tour to Amalfi, Sorrento, and Positano. But it seems like those are all mostly shopping stops and nothing really to see.

So the new idea is to take a hydrofoil to Capri. Get the great views of the Amalfi coast from the water. I am not sure what all to do in Capri, but the chair lift sounds fun. Or, there are some boat tours available: http://www.giannisboat.com/

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Edited by faith4keep

The Amalfi drive has beautiful views; that's why most people do it, I presume, not for the shopping stops in the towns themselves.

You won't get views of the Amalfi Coast if you take the hydrofoil to Capri from Naples.

Capri itself is a lovely day if you prefer to be active (walking rather than riding in a car most of the day) and the island has a lot of great vistas. You can walk up to the old Roman Villa Jovis, not so much for the ruins but for the views. It's a moderate hike of about 45 minutes from Capri Town.

As you say, there is the Anacapri chair lift (haven't done it, so can't comment) and the bus ride to Anacapri from Capri Town is one of those experiences you remember (tight turns, sheer drops to the water). And there are some fun things to see in Anacapri like the quirky Casa Rossa museum and the Villa San Michele.

In addition to the beautiful views from Capri and an Amalfi Coast drive, you also might consider a cruise down the Amalfi Coast on a private boat. In May, six of us rented a speedboat (actually a small cabin cruiser) and Captain for the day from Amalfi and traveled the 50 miles up the coast to Capri and back, with a few hours on Capri taking that gorgeous bus ride to Anacapri followed by the chair lift up to Mount Solaro and back.

The vistas and grottoes to explore from the boat were marvelous.

We love that chairlift in Anacapri, but it is not for anyone who is afraid of heights. They are single chairs (the kind where your legs dangle) and it takes about 15 min to get you up to the top of Mt Solaro where there are fantastic views. There is also a snack bar and some picnic benches at the top...so one can just relax, enjoy the view, and perhaps sip some café. The Chairlift goes over a lot of interesting landscapes including some homes, hikers, etc. At times you are over 40 feet above the ground. We also enjoy having lunch in Anacapri since its more of a residential town (it has a few cafes/restaurants) not packed with the touristy "joints" found in Capri Town.

Hank

Based on your self description I think Capri for the entire day would be the best fit. The views along the Amalfi Coast are beautiful but you don't sound like someone who would be happy spending eight hours sitting in a car looking out the window, broken up by a couple of shopping stops (because there's really not much else to do in the towns along the coast other than shop or eat).

Capri offers fabulous hikes with views to die for, in addition to the chair lift if you're up for it.

http://www.capri.net

The views along the Amalfi Coast are beautiful but you don't sound like someone who would be happy spending eight hours sitting in a car looking out the window, broken up by a couple of shopping stops (because there's really not much else to do in the towns along the coast other than shop or eat).

You are exactly right. 8 hours in a car with a few stops for photos doesn't really appeal to me. Also; I am young and able, there may be a day when I'm not as able, and if that day comes I'll do the 8 hour in a car thing :)

In addition to the beautiful views from Capri and an Amalfi Coast drive, you also might consider a cruise down the Amalfi Coast on a private boat. In May, six of us rented a speedboat (actually a small cabin cruiser) and Captain for the day from Amalfi and traveled the 50 miles up the coast to Capri and back, with a few hours on Capri taking that gorgeous bus ride to Anacapri followed by the chair lift up to Mount Solaro and back.

The vistas and grottoes to explore from the boat were marvelous.

This sounds wonderful - can I actually do this all in one day?

Maybe start with a tour of the Amalfi Coast, then go to Capri, and spend a few hours there? I found a tour company: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187780-d1488041-Reviews-Amalfi_Coast_to_Capri_Boat_Excursion-Amalfi_Amalfi_Coast_Campania.html but if there a way to DIY this?

Maybe start with a tour of the Amalfi Coast, then go to Capri, and spend a few hours there? I found a tour company: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187780-d1488041-Reviews-Amalfi_Coast_to_Capri_Boat_Excursion-Amalfi_Amalfi_Coast_Campania.html but if there a way to DIY this?

Sort of, but you wind up spending your entire day getting there and back with no real time in either place because the ferry schedule along the coast is very limited.

You can get a ferry from Naples to Sorrento at 9 AM (first of the day), but from Sorrento to Positano and Amalfi the first ferry of the day isn't until 10:30, arriving to Amalfi at 11:50. You miss the last morning boat to Capri, which leaves at 11:35. The first afternoon boat isn't until 3 PM, which is too late for you.

If you only go as far as Positano (arriving at 11:20 AM) you could get a boat from there to Capri at noon, which would allow you a couple of hours on Capri.

In total you'd wind up with about 40 minutes in Sorrento, a half hour in Positano, and a couple of hours on Capri.

Edited by euro cruiser

Hello everyone! I've done lots of research on Naples and just can't decide what to do. Here's what you need to know:

• We're a group of 4 and all in our late 20s or early 30s.
  • We may break off, so it might just be my boyfriend and I on our own.
  • This will be our first time to Naples.
  • None of us are really interested in ruins: Pompeii seems out but I could be convinced.
  • I am not interested in shopping/browsing, particularly at touristy places.
  • We all love fantastic, picturesque views.
  • We all love great food & drink.
  • We all are into adventurous and/or fitness related things
  • I prefer to have set things to see/do rather than get to a place and "explore"

My grandparents (who have traveled the world) said the Amalfi Coast is the most beautiful thing they have seen in the world. So, that is a priority for me.

My first idea was to take a private tour to Amalfi, Sorrento, and Positano. But it seems like those are all mostly shopping stops and nothing really to see.

So the new idea is to take a hydrofoil to Capri. Get the great views of the Amalfi coast from the water. I am not sure what all to do in Capri, but the chair lift sounds fun. Or, there are some boat tours available: http://www.giannisboat.com/

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Hi Pam

I don't have any other ideas, but in case it helps you decide, I did this on 3 separate days from Naples. As other have said, it can be very time-consuming to mix and match them. All the best whatever you do, Tony

Capri - with the chair lift ride

[YOUTUBE]uujBnlG7ahs[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]q-TA79Z4-ZE[/YOUTUBE]

Amalfi Coast

[YOUTUBE]_lpGhBoXGro[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]_c4f9PJFkN4[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]FfgdHbK7t0k[/YOUTUBE]

Pompeii & Herculaneum

[YOUTUBE]bTLA4hKQtkM[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]smvbn2fWxMc[/YOUTUBE]