St. Kitts...playing it by ear (i.e no pre booking?)

cruisingbajan

How easy is it do get off the ship and get a decent island tour for a decent price? Whether it be a private tour (just us) or a group.

I know there will probably be plenty of taxis as is the case in most ports.

We don't want to commit ourselves to anything in particular hence the reason for not pre-booking as we could decide based on our mood that day to just walk around downtown (which I believe is not too far from where the ship docks.)

Thanks in advance guys.:)

How easy is it do get off the ship and get a decent island tour for a decent price? Whether it be a private tour (just us) or a group.

I know there will probably be plenty of taxis as is the case in most ports.

We don't want to commit ourselves to anything in particular hence the reason for not pre-booking as we could decide based on our mood that day to just walk around downtown (which I believe is not too far from where the ship docks.)

Thanks in advance guys.:)

There were several tour operators within the port area offering various tours when we were on St. Kitts a few cruises ago. Prices generally are reasonable if not downright cheap. Although I'd rather book and know what I'm getting, I think you'll be able to find something reasonable the day of. You are correct that the town is just outside the port area.

However, the real beauty of the island is in the natural sights away from the town, particularly Brimstone Fortress. That is the one sight I would not miss, and would return to if I were visiting St. Kitts again (and I very much hope to).

Yeah, there were plenty tour operator and taxi drivers around. But just to give you an advice; I went with the beautiful Scenic Railway and I will return doing it again with my parents, and this tour (which takes "only" 4 hours) is only bookable through the cruise ship; normally there is still plenty of time to do something else in the afternoon.

There were several tour operators within the port area offering various tours when we were on St. Kitts a few cruises ago. Prices generally are reasonable if not downright cheap. Although I'd rather book and know what I'm getting, I think you'll be able to find something reasonable the day of. You are correct that the town is just outside the port area.

However, the real beauty of the island is in the natural sights away from the town, particularly Brimstone Fortress. That is the one sight I would not miss, and would return to if I were visiting St. Kitts again (and I very much hope to).

Thanks for the info/insight.

We have an idea of what we want to do...just wanted to be sure of if it was viable to wait until we get to port.

Yeah, there were plenty tour operator and taxi drivers around. But just to give you an advice; I went with the beautiful Scenic Railway and I will return doing it again with my parents, and this tour (which takes "only" 4 hours) is only bookable through the cruise ship; normally there is still plenty of time to do something else in the afternoon.

I was actually thinking of booking this. How much is it through the ship?

I've just been looking at this - it sounds perfect. I'll be there on Ventura on 28th Nov, and it's waitlist only now. £63 for adults, £32 for children. 3 hours.

It is approximately $100.00. We did it on our second time visiting the island and though we enjoyed it I think it is a lot of money for what you get. You will get to see a fair amount of the island but there are no stops so you don't get to experience places like Brimstone Fortress, etc. If this is your first time going to St. Kitts I would recommend one of the land based tours.

St. Kitts is a beautiful island and well worth seeing.

I've just been looking at this - it sounds perfect. I'll be there on Ventura on 28th Nov, and it's waitlist only now. £63 for adults, £32 for children. 3 hours.

It is approximately $100.00. We did it on our second time visiting the island and though we enjoyed it I think it is a lot of money for what you get. You will get to see a fair amount of the island but there are no stops so you don't get to experience places like Brimstone Fortress, etc. If this is your first time going to St. Kitts I would recommend one of the land based tours.

St. Kitts is a beautiful island and well worth seeing.

It will be my first time to St. Kitts. Thanks for the info.

I did some further research and there seems to be 2 tours. One involving a bus and the other a boat. Any pros and cons on either one?

Thanks again.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

We did just that. Got off the ship and wandered around. We were approached by many vendors selling tours. Some were pretty aggressive which I expected but it's still a turn off. Eventually, we went with a taxi driver named Elvis who took us to Brimstone and provided a great tour on the way there. Very laid back and enjoyable day. I got his card and would use Elvis again.

We did just that. Got off the ship and wandered around. We were approached by many vendors selling tours. Some were pretty aggressive which I expected but it's still a turn off. Eventually, we went with a taxi driver named Elvis who took us to Brimstone and provided a great tour on the way there. Very laid back and enjoyable day. I got his card and would use Elvis again.

Where did you go beside Brimstone? What was the cost of the tour?

Thanks

I did some further research and there seems to be 2 tours. One involving a bus and the other a boat. Any pros and cons on either one?

Thanks again.

We are only supposed to mention tour operators in response to a specific question about one. So I won't mention the name but there is a tour operator who runs a large van type vehicles and is mentioned in multiple threads on this board. He is very knowledgeable about St. Kitts and provides a great narration as he drives you to multiple destinations including the Brimstone Fortress where your fare for the tour includes the entry fee to the fortress. For a first visit to the island you would great a great overview in a very comfortable air conditioned vehicle. The man is an absolute gentleman.

Edited by Ocean Boy

We are only supposed to mention tour operators in response to a specific question about one. So I won't mention the name but there is a tour operator who runs a large van type vehicles and is mentioned in multiple threads on this board. He is very knowledgeable about St. Kitts and provides a great narration as he drives you to multiple destinations including the Brimstone Fortress where your fare for the tour includes the entry fee to the fortress. For a first visit to the island you would great a great overview in a very comfortable air conditioned vehicle. The man is an absolute gentleman.

Point taken and I would not want you to run afoul of the moderators. I believe I know the provider you are speaking of. It seems to be pretty clear when it comes to him and there are no "grey" areas.[emoji4]

I think however you have to book him in advance which I am not sure I want to do at this point.

Thanks again.

Keith .... Are you asking about the bus vs catamaran return on the Railway Tour?

LuLu

Point taken and I would not want you to run afoul of the moderators. I believe I know the provider you are speaking of. It seems to be pretty clear when it comes to him and there are no "grey" areas.[emoji4]

I think however you have to book him in advance which I am not sure I want to do at this point.

Yes. You have it. It is good to make reservations. However, you do have the option to walk up to him and asked if there was any room left on his van.

As far as the railway goes, you have to buy from the cruise line as the railway will not sell to you. So you would have to buy a ticket at least before you leave the ship. As for the trip back to the port, we elected to take the bus as we wanted to get back and spend some time around the port area. We did talk to some people on the ship later who said that the catamaran was pretty crowded and not that comfortable. I'm not sure how long it took them to get back to the port on the boat.

Yes. You have it. It is good to make reservations. However, you do have the option to walk up to him and asked if there was any room left on his van.

As far as the railway goes, you have to buy from the cruise line as the railway will not sell to you. So you would have to buy a ticket at least before you leave the ship. As for the trip back to the port, we elected to take the bus as we wanted to get back and spend some time around the port area. We did talk to some people on the ship later who said that the catamaran was pretty crowded and not that comfortable. I'm not sure how long it took them to get back to the port on the boat.

Thanks Ocean Boy...I will certainly weigh my options and make a decision before we set sail.

Yes, several years ago now when we arrived there on Serenade of the Seas. I thought Harrison's Cave, among other places, was awesome.

Yup...Harrison's Cave is definitely a sight to behold. You must try to get back to the island again as soon as possible. [emoji2]

Thank you very much. Have you ever been?

I agree Barbados is my favourite Island of all. Been a few times on cruises and in December I have nearly two full days as our cruise is docked overnight. Can't wait and currently trying to decide what to do :)

As for St Kitts I spent two weeks at the Jack Tarr Hotel in 1996 and loved the island. I would definitely include Brimstone if it was my first time. The islands is beautiful and I'll be here next month. Can't wait to see it :)

Yes I was.

Considering you live in Barbados (beautiful place) which has MUCH better catamarans sailings, you might be happier taking the bus back. We thought the catamaran on our return was way too crowded and not as much fun as we had hoped it would be. :o

LuLu

Considering you live in Barbados (beautiful place) which has MUCH better catamarans sailings, you might be happier taking the bus back. We thought the catamaran on our return was way too crowded and not as much fun as we had hoped it would be. :o

LuLu

Thanks LuLu....excellent advice indeed.[emoji4]

I agree Barbados is my favourite Island of all. Been a few times on cruises and in December I have nearly two full days as our cruise is docked overnight. Can't wait and currently trying to decide what to do :)

As for St Kitts I spent two weeks at the Jack Tarr Hotel in 1996 and loved the island. I would definitely include Brimstone if it was my first time. The islands is beautiful and I'll be here next month. Can't wait to see it :)

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the island and its your favorite.[emoji106] Hope you continue to visit as well. [emoji2]

What cruise ship will you be on in December.

• 2 weeks later...

We took the train tour in the morning & expected to grab a cab to the beach or tour around locally. With two ships in port, we found it super challenging to get a cab for two people at the cruiseport. All the cabs were vans looking for groups, or offering group tours. A taxi was running $30 to the beach, with group offers $15. We heard later there were individual cabs from the circus/roundabout in town. We got frustrated with the port crowds & walked along the harbor on the sidewalk. A police officer accosted us & said we could not walk any further. Crossing the street we walked into a restaurant & were ignored service, along with a table of cruisers next to us. The strangest experience! My parents chose to not book a ships tour, & wanting to see the fort, jumped on a group tour saying it would visit the fort. They toured around the island (gorgeous), but then it was suggested they skip the fort & be charged extra to visit the beach. Hopeful that this all was just an "off" experience, but we were surprised & disappointed by how this all unfolded. Will try Nevis next time!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums