Book an excursion or not?

TampaGator98

My wife and I will be sailing on Celebrity Reflection beginning Nov 22. Our stops are San Juan (evening stop), St. Thomas (I've been, wife hasn't) and St. Martin (first for both of us).

I know that different people have different opinions, and that's what I'm hoping to get from some more-experienced cruisers. For the latter two stops, would it be better to book an excursion in advance or explore the islands on our own?

I find it easy to explore St. Thomas and St. Martin on our own and in both cases we have negotiated taxis upon our arrival.

At the same time, always good to look at what others do so I would recommend that you check out your roll call for this voyage to see what others are doing in the way of tours and also I would check out the ports of call board for each place.

Keith

If you are healthy enough to walk, you can see all three islands on your own without a taxi. Just set out and explore, you will find many things that a tour just won't show you and you will be able to go at your pace, not the tours.

Plus it's a great way to keep the cruise weight gain down!!!:cool:

If you are going to DIY, and it's quite easy to do, get a guidebook and read it! You will get the most of your time ashore if you know SOMETHING about where you're visiting! Don't go to port "blind"..you need to do your research!

We never do excursions, but we do our research !

My wife and I will be sailing on Celebrity Reflection beginning Nov 22. Our stops are San Juan (evening stop), St. Thomas (I've been, wife hasn't) and St. Martin (first for both of us).

I know that different people have different opinions, and that's what I'm hoping to get from some more-experienced cruisers. For the latter two stops, would it be better to book an excursion in advance or explore the islands on our own?

Take a look at what is being offered. If you see something you like, book it. If not, explore on your own.

I usually book my own; you will find many information stands at each port.

We have been to all those islands many times. But we do look over the ship's excursions to see if anything new that we would be interested in is being offered. otherwise, we just get off the ship and do our own thing. There are many vendors at your ports where you can arrange a tour on your own.

We're on the same cruise! We are also newbies but the ports of call forum has been really helpful to me. Most of what I have planned I am booking on my own but with a detailed timetable to help avoid getting lost or missing the ship. It just seemed less expensive and more in line with what I want to do.

Edited by MinkaGrl01

We're on the same cruise! We are also newbies but the ports of call forum has been really helpful to me. Most of what I have planned I am booking on my own but with a detailed timetable to help avoid getting lost or missing the ship. It just seemed less expensive and more in line with what I want to do.

Hey! We might see you among the 3000 passengers on the ship!

A part of me is not wanting to book anything in advance so we can sleep in if we choose. This is, after all, supposed to be a relaxing vacation.

We have been to all those islands many times. But we do look over the ship's excursions to see if anything new that we would be interested in is being offered. Otherwise, we just get off the ship and do our own thing. There are many vendors at your ports where you can arrange a tour on your own.

Have to so agree with KK above.

Do be sure to see if excursions through the ship will be of interest to you.

On tours through the ship .... They will pick you up at the ship, take you to have fun, return you to the ship, and you'll never "miss the boat" ... all with no worries and planning on your part! :D

LuLu