Tipping and the spa?

My DH scheduled a massage for me for my b-day. :) what can I expect in the spa? I am guessing that a tip has already been included in the fee, so do I need to tip additionally? How hard do they push their products and will they back off after a simple no thank you?

In my experience they push the products quite hard - in my case, even after I said I was not interested in purchasing products of any kind. Some CC members have reported not getting the hard sell after saying this though, so I guess it depends on which spa person you get!

I always give an extra $20 for excellent service, $10 for average because I believe they have to pool tips or share them like other employees. I don't write it on the receipt but simply give cash. Only had the hard sell once on NCL Breakaway but never on RCL - maybe I'm just lucky though!

My DH scheduled a massage for me for my b-day. :) what can I expect in the spa? I am guessing that a tip has already been included in the fee, so do I need to tip additionally? How hard do they push their products and will they back off after a simple no thank you?

a simple no thank you is NOT sufficient, you must be VERY firm UP FRONT that you do not want any sales pitch and if they try it anyway, then you need to be quite vocal in your intention to remove any tip.

Okay thanks! Just out of curiosity, I can see the hard push for products after a facial, what do they push after a massage? Lotion?!

Lotion, anti- cellulite products, scrub products for home use...anything they can think of really! :)

I've only had a Fire and Ice Pedicure and talked into an acupuncture session.

The pedicurist suggested I look into an oil once I get home, they did sell it there but, she said it was overpriced. I was shocked it was the opposite of a hard sell!!

The acupuncturist, when I asked the cost, told me it would only be a small fee, maybe a 30 min session... I was a lil shocked when I got the bill but it was my fault for not asking the dollar amount. After my session she wanted to sell me a 4 - 6 day package @ 200+ per session. She was very pushy, I stood my ground and said No!

Its just a matter of who you get, some will be pushy others will be nice :)