Sapphire beach or Megans Bay???

newparents

What do you think is best?? Been to Megans Bay a couple of times and its lovely but never been to Sapphire beach and wondering whether to try it.

We will have a 5 yr old and 3yr old with us so what beach would you say is best for them??

Last time in St Thomas there were 4 ships in port and I'm sure Meagan's bay was crowded. We got a taxi ($20) over to Emerald beach. We used all their facilities, i8ncluding the pool, had a great lunch and even watched a wedding on the beach. It was much quieter.

http://www.emeraldbeach.com/

I would recommend Emerald Beach, is much nicer and quieter than Meagan's esp. when a lot of ships in port.

Edited by Folk Singer

Haven't been to Emerald but have been to Sapphire & Magen. The facilities at Sapphire aren't as nice as at Magen (no changing rooms, bathrooms are at the end of a winding hall in half-burned hotel). But the beach is lovely and has a nice coral area for snorkeling. There are people on the beach selling food and the food is good. I'll probably toss a coin on the next trip.

If I'm thinking about the same beach and I think I am, I wouldn't waste my time going to Sapphire beach, it's nice, but I'm sure no nicer than the others and it seem to take a long time to get there. If we had to do it again, I'd choose another beach. I ask the people at sapphire and they said Megans beach is just as nice and about the same - so why drive that far, maybe not that far, but took too long if that makes sense :)

We were on Allure 2 weeks ago and in St Thomas this spring. Megans is the best.... if you can get there early and beat the crowds. We went to Coki last time and it was crowded as well - but great snorkling. Secret Harbor is small but quiet (you could maybe stop at more than one).

Emerald is close to port and quiet (except when the airport is busy).

I recommend trying a different place each trip - then you can form your own opinion.

I would check the Ports of Call boards for more info. Sapphire was supposedly having some problems recently. It's a beautiful beach though.

For any beach: get there by 10am and leave when it gets too crowded. Don't show up in the middle of the day.

Edited by marci22

I agree with the others that Magen's Bay is much nicer than Sapphire. Since we've done both Magen's and Coki beaches many times, we decided to check out Sapphire this past January. It was much quieter than the other two beaches we've been to in St. Thomas and the beach is lovely but I wouldn't say it's nicer. The day we were in port I think there were 4 or 5 ships so we decided to try Sapphire knowing that Magen's and Coki would be crowded.

What do you think is best?? Been to Megans Bay a couple of times and its lovely but never been to Sapphire beach and wondering whether to try it.

We will have a 5 yr old and 3yr old with us so what beach would you say is best for them??

We went to Sapphire beach not the last time we were there but the time before. I want to go back! It was very peaceful and quiet. Beautiful sand and water. Megans is the beach where everyone goes. I like to try the place where its a bit quieter. Here's a few pics of the beach area that I took back in 2008. Next time we go to St Thomas, we're going back to Sapphire!

You'll notice from the beach pictures how quiet the beach is. No large crowds - just you and a few others enjoying the beach

P1050349.JPG

P1050353.JPG

P1050357.JPG

One of my favourite pictures I've taken anywhere

P1050359.JPG

P1050365.JPG

Edited by nbsjcruiser

I just read a couple of reviews of saying that Sapphire Beach at the moment is having a lot of construction going on. So it is quite loud. I read that the beach was not very nice and the bathrooms were horrible. It looks like you still have some time till your cruise so I would hope it would be all cleared up by then.