What do you pay extra for on Holland America

twopeas

Just what things can I expect to pay for "a-la-carte". I understand that soft-drinks are extra? Special areas for lounging? Special lounge chairs? Spa? Gym? Room service? Espresso service in internet cafe? Besides Pinnacle Grill, what other dining services?

Having been on Crystal Lines and Mariner I am learning that a lot of what was included is not on HA. I want to prepare myself.

Twopeas,

I am not sure what you mean by special areas for lounging. We have never paid to sit on special lounges anywhere on a HAL ship.

Yes you do have to pay for services in the Spa and Beauty Salon

The Pinnacle Grill is also the only place that you pay for food. We used to get our espresso coffee gratis but that changed when they upgraded all the ships. Room service is free and you can order a full breakfast as well as at night you can order what is on the dining room menu. During the day there is snacks menu that you can use.

You can have cooking lessons and that is also a charge. I believe it is well worth the money.

Of course you have to pay for photos but the same applies to most ships.

Drinks of course are charged including wines at dinner, drinks ordered to have in your room and in the various lounges and bars. I know on some ships drinks are included but not so on HAL. Also if a bar service has been set up in your cabin, I believe that the drinks used are also charged.

I think I have covered everything that we have ever paid for on our account. We are not gamblers so we do not buy any chips etc.

Last but not least, a set amount of $10 a day p.p. is charged to your account. This includes all tips though you can personally hand over extra to your favourite steward if you like, it is up to you.

Jennie

Just what things can I expect to pay for "a-la-carte". I understand that soft-drinks are extra? Special areas for lounging? Special lounge chairs? Spa? Gym? Room service? Espresso service in internet cafe? Besides Pinnacle Grill, what other dining services?

Having been on Crystal Lines and Mariner I am learning that a lot of what was included is not on HA. I want to prepare myself.

From my recent experience on HAL:

A soft-drink card costs $20 for 20 small glasses of soda. I got an insulated coke container with a lid as part of the deal.

If you want access to the Neptune Lounge or to a private verandah, you need to get an upgraded room. (The Neptune Lounge isn't particularly good looking, but they had snacks and iced tea, coffee, expresso, latte (etc.)machine throughout the day, plus wonderfully helpful staff members who could handle virtually any problem for us.)

Booze is extra, although there were several opportunities for free booze since we had a suite. Since we don't drink alcohol, I didn't keep careful notes on this, but there was an unopened bottle of champagne in our room all week, and the steward kept icing it down for us. Champagne was free at the art auction, and at a couple of receptions for suite passengers.

The gym seemed to be free (didn't use it myself, but I did go in there). Spa services involve a fee, and some gym classes have fees.

Internet services were so expensive that we decided to go without, and it actually made the trip seem more like a vacation. Our only contact with the outside world was CNN and the mini-NYTimes that appeared in our mailbox most days.

I didn't see any special chairs for a fee. The recliners in the Crows Nest were first-come.

Room service is free, and available 24 hours.

I didn't notice any meals that incurred a charge except the Pinnacle Grill. Even that was free at breakfast if you were a suite passenger. (Same breakfast menu as the main dining room, but MUCH less chaos.)

Just my personal experience from last week on the Oosterdam... It was GREAT! :D

Moogy

I understand that soft-drinks are extra? Yes

Special areas for lounging? The Neptune Concierge Lounge is for suite passengers.

Special lounge chairs? No

Spa? Yes, depending on the services provided

Gym? No, unless one takes a class

Room service? Free

Espresso service in internet cafe? Yes - but less than what you'd pay at Starbucks - although capuccino in the main dining room after dinner is gratis.

Besides Pinnacle Grill, what other dining services? Pinnacle is $20/head - all others are included.

Gym is free, though there are some special classes that there might be a small fee for should you choose to take them. Spa treatments are not free, nor do I believe they would be free on an "all inclusive" line either. The only lounge chairs I know of that cost extra are those special heated loungers in the spa. You can buy a day or weekly pass to use that special spa pool area ... I forget what it's called.

Room service is free, though you should tip the delivery person a few bucks.

Specialty coffees and expresso-type drinks in the Explorations Cafe do have a small fee ... very reasonable ... and believe me, they are drinks that you can't get anywhere else on the ship.

As for dining services ... other than the Pinnacle, every other dining venue aboard ship is free. You only pay for alcoholic beverages, bottled water and sodas.

That's what I like about cruising. It is very easy to budget how much you will spend by picking those items most important to you. That's why I stay away from the "all inclusive" lines ... because, believe me ... those items they include are not free. They are built right into the price of your cruise. So, in essence, you are forced to pay for things that you otherwise might not use. That's why I like the mass market lines like HAL ... because I can pick and choose what's important to me, and save my money on the other items.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Ii recently checked HAL's WEB site and saw that a soda card of 20 sodas ( as of april, 2006) on thier Gift order form is $18.75. Is it less if orderred ahead of time?

When I bought my soda card onboard, there was a 15% bar gratuity added, which brought the price to just over $20.

Moogy

Drinks of course are charged including wines at dinner, drinks ordered to have in your room and in the various lounges and bars. I know on some ships drinks are included but not so on HAL. Jennie

Jennie, are you talking about the drinks that are also extra charge in the dining room? I know about soda, alcohol, and bottled water being extra charge. However, if I order tea or juice to the room WITH room service, I am not charged extra......am I?

We leave on our first HAL cruise THIS UPCOMING SUNDAY!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I am trying to learn all that I can.

Thanks!

Ii recently checked HAL's WEB site and saw that a soda card of 20 sodas ( as of april, 2006) on thier Gift order form is $18.75. Is it less if orderred ahead of time?

I thought when they did away with the unlimited soda card the new 20 for $20 is for cans of soda. Some other poster on this thread commented they were small glasses.

Can someone else confirm small glasses or cans of soda?

Jennie, are you talking about the drinks that are also extra charge in the dining room? I know about soda, alcohol, and bottled water being extra charge. However, if I order tea or juice to the room WITH room service, I am not charged extra......am I?

We leave on our first HAL cruise THIS UPCOMING SUNDAY!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I am trying to learn all that I can.

Thanks!

THLB,

You are not charged for tea or coffee in the dining room nor if you have a tea or coffee in your cabin and it is brought by room service.

Have a wonderful cruise and I hope you enjoy your time on one of HAL's lovely ships.

Jennie

THLB,

You are not charged for tea or coffee in the dining room nor if you have a tea or coffee in your cabin and it is brought by room service.

Have a wonderful cruise and I hope you enjoy your time on one of HAL's lovely ships.

Jennie

Thanks. I assumed that you would only be charged for it in the room if you are charged for it in the dining room. I just wanted to verify that, though, since this is a new experience for me.

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited!!!!!!! Only a few more days are left before I board the ship!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Thanks. I assumed that you would only be charged for it in the room if you are charged for it in the dining room. I just wanted to verify that, though, since this is a new experience for me.

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited!!!!!!! Only a few more days are left before I board the ship!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Have a BLAST, kiddo! I can't wait to try HAL! :)

• 10 years later...
Twopeas,

I am not sure what you mean by special areas for lounging. We have never paid to sit on special lounges anywhere on a HAL ship.

Yes you do have to pay for services in the Spa and Beauty Salon

The Pinnacle Grill is also the only place that you pay for food. We used to get our espresso coffee gratis but that changed when they upgraded all the ships. Room service is free and you can order a full breakfast as well as at night you can order what is on the dining room menu. During the day there is snacks menu that you can use.

You can have cooking lessons and that is also a charge. I believe it is well worth the money.

Of course you have to pay for photos but the same applies to most ships.

Drinks of course are charged including wines at dinner, drinks ordered to have in your room and in the various lounges and bars. I know on some ships drinks are included but not so on HAL. Also if a bar service has been set up in your cabin, I believe that the drinks used are also charged.

I think I have covered everything that we have ever paid for on our account. We are not gamblers so we do not buy any chips etc.

Last but not least, a set amount of $10 a day p.p. is charged to your account. This includes all tips though you can personally hand over extra to your favourite steward if you like, it is up to you.

Jennie

I understand that the p.p charge can be waived by merely asking at reception. You can opt to pay steward/stewardess directly at end of cruise.

You have resurrected an 11 year old thread, and much of the info given is now wrong.

I understand that the p.p charge can be waived by merely asking at reception. You can opt to pay steward/stewardess directly at end of cruise.

If anyone opts out of the daily Hotel Service Charge any cash given to any steward/stewardess must be turned in to the HSC pool, and they will get less than if you left the HSC intact.

Edited by jtl513

Yes, an 11 yr old thread resurrected but the new member was only doing what I've seen "old" members (like me I'm old 2009) ;) tell "Newbies" to do when they start a new thread with a question that's been asked 1000 times.

"Use the search function", so they did and they searched the threads and found this one....only the answers are out dated and no longer accurate.

These threads should be deleted after a certain number of years.

Yes, an 11 yr old thread resurrected but the new member was only doing what I've seen "old" members (like me I'm old 2009) ;) tell "Newbies" to do when they start a new thread with a question that's been asked 1000 times.

"Use the search function", so they did and they searched the threads and found this one....only the answers are out dated and no longer accurate.

These threads should be deleted after a certain number of years.

Deleted or locked. Doesn't Tripadvisor lock discussion threads after a period of inactivity? It would be nice if the search function listed threads in order of most recent post.

Deleted or locked. Doesn't Tripadvisor lock discussion threads after a period of inactivity? It would be nice if the search function listed threads in order of most recent post.

Great idea on the lock suggestion...I think TA does lock them.

It was fun to read this one and see how much things cost 11 yrs ago.

Searching first... good practice. Would reduce the re-hashing of the same topic over and over.

Telling newbs to search first before starting a new thread... also good practice. But adding "search for recent threads and if there are none THEN start a new thread" would be better. Also asking them to note in the new thread that a) they searched first and b) the info was old would help a lot.

From time to time I've posted a lot on Trip Advisor (under same name) and yes they do lock old threads but they are still searchable. Funny that the practices are so different since Trip Advisor bought Cruise Critic in 2007.