Downtown Miami - Seafood Restaurant on water

js

Hi.

We will be in Miami prior to our cruise in March.

The day we arrive is my dd's 20th birthday.

She would like to have a seafood dinner. We have been to Bayside many times

and want something different.

This year, we are staying at Doubletree Grand, which is located

North Bayshore Drive, Miami, FL (Downtown).

We would like a fun place on the water, if possible. We can get in a cab and go if the place suggested is worth it. Maybe has music and good drinks. I will be trying

to keep two 20 year olds busy and entertained LOL

Thank you ALL very much!

Edited by js

The Rusty Pelican is on the water but on Key Biscayne right as you go over the causeway.

Montys in South Beach has beautiful views of downtown and the Gov't Cut.

Garcia's is right downtown on the river. Has some of the best seafood in Miami.

Montys and Garcias are very casual.

The Rusty Pelican is on the water but on Key Biscayne right as you go over the causeway.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Just printed out your response and will take a look but sure will chose one.

Thank you very much again for taking the time to help me. I appreciate it.

The reviews just look okay for the food, which is important to us. We enjoy going out to nice/fine restaurants and good service. While I understand I may be asking for two different things, I would like a place on the water to eat outside with very good seafood and if there is music, then that is a bonus but maybe I should set our sights a little highter than Rusty Pelican or Montys since I do not want to be disappointed in my dinner.

What else do you have :)

Oh, maybe I was looking at wrong Montys? I am now looking on Alton Road, is this correct. I like the atmosphere of the Rusty Pelican but not sure if we will be disappionted with the food.

Montys Sunset located on Alton Road looks perfect. Is this the correct place.

THANK YOU!

Edited by js

The reviews just look okay for the food, which is important to us. We enjoy going out to nice/fine restaurants and good service. While I understand I may be asking for two different things, I would like a place on the water to eat outside with very good seafood and if there is music, then that is a bonus but maybe I should set our sights a little highter than Rusty Pelican or Montys since I do not want to be disappointed in my dinner.

What else do you have :)

Oh, maybe I was looking at wrong Montys? I am now looking on Alton Road, is this correct. I like the atmosphere of the Rusty Pelican but not sure if we will be disappionted with the food.

Montys Sunset located on Alton Road looks perfect. Is this the correct place.

THANK YOU!

If food is important to you and fine dining, then you will be disappointed at The Rusty pelican. The food at Montys is decent, certainly not fine dining. I would make sure and look at their menu and decide if that's what you are looking for.

There are two waterside locations for Monty's; South Beach and Coconut Grove. The food is just average, but the atmosphere is good, and most days/evenings there is live music.

My favorite place is Garcia's on the Miami River. The food is caught fresh daily using their own boats. Always a great meal!

There are two waterside locations for Monty's; South Beach and Coconut Grove. The food is just average, but the atmosphere is good, and most days/evenings there is live music.

My favorite place is Garcia's on the Miami River. The food is caught fresh daily using their own boats. Always a great meal!

Thanks.

My friend who use to live in Miami told me she liked the Grove Montys better and will also look at Garcias.

THANK YOU.

you are discovering one of the curious facets of Miami

altho there is a TON of good food to be found, exceptional food even

there are FEW places on the water or with a water view . . .

don't ask me why cuz I dunno - in over 10 years of living there I too would only have Montys and Rusty P in mind as far as places I've been. Monty's is more 'raw bar' and bar food since they closed their formal dining rooms. R P has been around for a long time and was the victim of a FABULOUS fire a while back - since rebuilt ... kinda reminds me of Chart House

you might want to consider Smith and Wollensky, just down the road from Monty's (south beach) and right on Government Cut

http://www.smithandwollensky.com/locations-2/miami-beach

With the exception of Smith & Wollensky, you will not find waterfront, nice, and fantastic food. The rule of thumb is that if the view is fantastic, the food will not be great because it doesn't have to be.

Garcias is fantastic, but rustic.

I suggest you take a look at Smith & Wollensky.

FWIW, I enjoy Montys and Rusty Pelican and if you stick to basics, it is pretty decent.

Red Fish Grill is on the water but I haven't eaten there in a long time so I don't know if it is any good still.

Edited by BlueHerons

I'm not a seafood fan, but here goes....what about Casablanca on the river? No one has mentioned that and it is a favorite of many locals. I go there with friends, but I don't like fish and seafood, so I get something different while everyone else gets seafood and loves it. That said, I've heard the best seafood around as being Garcia's and that's from the locals.

I wouldn't call Monty's good food. They have a great happy hour, but the food is just bar food; nothing special. I live right here on that very waterfront (the Grove) and frequent Monty's often. Never have been impressed with the food - it's good when you're starving after a long day on the water.

Red Fish Grill is on the water but I haven't eaten there in a long time so I don't know if it is any good still.

I went there a few months ago just for appies and cocktails. I honestly cannot remember what the food was like because the atmosphere was so lovely at sunset. You're right, if the atmosphere is right, the food doesn't have to be. I trust it was good because I do remember bad meals and experiences!

great place

not "in the city"

http://www.redfishgrill.net/location

if you want to go this far out of the city we can expand our recommendations . . .

"Down 95, west to the Gables, round the traffic circle and down Old Cutler Road for what seems like forever to the very end of Matheson Park: There, on the far right side of the parking lot, lies your oasis..."

Edited by Capt_BJ

"Down 95, west to the Gables, round the traffic circle and down Old Cutler Road for what seems like forever to the very end of Matheson Park: There, on the far right side of the parking lot, lies your oasis..."

Haha! Great directions!

Food is just such an subjective topic... I will add my 2 cents.

Love the atmosphere at RED fish Grill.

I thought the food was very good to excellent when I went 2 years ago. I am a daughter of a lifelong commercial fisherman from Maine and my family consider ourselves seafood snobs... LOL

Smith and Wollesky is known for steak and is a chain...I have been to it in Boston and that's what I ordered and it was fantastic. I cannot comment on their seafood.

I will have to try Garcia's. Heading to Florida for cruise and spending 2 days in Miami. Good luck

Does Garcia's have stone crabs at a reasonable price?