Amazing Race too strenuous?

Jairey10

Hi there! I will be in Cozumel in August and my wife and I have discussed doing this excursion. On the description it says those with mobility issues may have difficulties. Can anyone who has done this before give me some insight please? I do pretty well with walking long distances but I have a knee injury which makes climbing, jumping, running faster than a light jog very difficult. She is a stronger swimmer so she would likely do that part (I've heard only one person needs to) but I could handle that too if needed. So for anyone who has done this excursion, just how physically demanding is it? Thanks!

We did this last August 2015. It a lot of walking to various points. No need to jump, bend or jog to complete it. I think those that finished up front were running parts of it. Not everyone needs to do the swim just one or two and they can relay the info.

It was fun, hot and took a good portion of the time in port.

Edited by wilee

Our family would like to do this excursion too, but on our Cruise dates it is not showing it is available as one of the excursions in Cozumel. Should I call Carnival? Or book directly?:confused:

If the ship is not offering it directly I would contact the company. It normally is teams from all the ships in port which is good. When we went there was just 2 teams from our ship but thanks to the other ships in there was about 20 teams

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Our family would like to do this excursion too, but on our Cruise dates it is not showing it is available as one of the excursions in Cozumel. Should I call Carnival? Or book directly?:confused:

Your cruise might be too far out. I just booked this excursion for my upcoming cruise through Carnival - less than 30 days out. I didn't even know it was on the excursion listing and was going to book through the company, but they don't allow you to book directly through them if you're coming off a cruise - at least with Carnival. I normally don't like to book through Carnival, but I really want to do this, so I went ahead. It's only $3 more pp than booking directly.

I've done the Amazing Race excursion and it was a lot of fun. I was travelling solo and they added me to one of the groups. We had about 9 or 10 people in our group all varying in age and physical ability so we had 2 younger fellows running and leading us to the next clue and within a couple of minutes we could all regather at the next clue. We came in 2nd and lost by less than 5 minutes. The excursion ends a t a Mexican restaurant so we were having a beer & an appetizer for a half hour or so and the last groups trickled in. Excellent arrangement. Nobody is inconvenienced. However, I walked very briskly for about 2 hours straight so you do need to be able to do that. Super fun and a great way to see Cozumel. There are a couple of air conditioned stops so you don't overheat. But be sure to bring water. It's hot out there. Enjoy!!:p

Kara

We did the ACR in 2011...family of four with Grandma and Grandpa (in their 60s). Had a BLAST...they said they never would have done it on their own, but had so much fun. It takes you off the beaten path, active but in a good way, lots of challenges so everyone can have a chance to participate (one of my favorite cruise pictures is of Grandma getting a tattoo...henna of course!). Would do it again in a heartbeat....lots of fun! (PS Bring water!!!)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

We are HUGE fans of the TV series and our cruise ship didn't offer it so we booked directly. It will remain one of our FAVORITE excursions ever. I completed the race four months after having my pacemaker replaced. I can walk but I can't run, but my daughters and Grandson KILLED it on the clues. There were a couple of teams that copied their answers then sprinted ahead of us, but we would get to the next clue and they weren' able to solve it and were sitting waiting to copy our answer or listen in. It was all good fun for us, so we didn't care. We had two goals...to complete the entire course and not to finish last...lol. We did BOTH. I obviously slowed my team down, but our team was my two daughters and my 22 year old Grandson. It was JULY and very HOT but we had water. You will see Cozumel like NO OTHER TOUR. The course of the race is in the REAL Cozumel with local shopkeepers and spots of interest. It even involves you going out on a small boat. The locals and shopkeepers were cheering us on and we ended up sweaty, hot, exhausted and THRILLED with ourselves. The team that won set some sort of record, but we set our own record (LOL). I wanted to have time to go back to these shops and buy things, but I was too pooped to walk all the way back to the shops I passed on the route. We had a t-shirt printed and they LOVED it because the race coordinators could spot us coming to all the checkpoints and the locals immediately knew what we were doing (so they would point us in the right direction...lol) Our t-shirts said Cozumel's Amazing Race. You have to come up with a team name. Don't wait to do that until the race is about to begin. We had ours on the back of our shirts. As we were waiting to catch a cab to the pick-up spot, all the folks on our cruise ask us about the race and wished us good luck, and all the passengers recognized us that night and the next day and wanted to know how it went. When we got off the ship, we let the ship's photographer take our photo in the t-shirts (before we got all sweaty..lol). Good decision. We didn't look so "fresh" in the photos they took at the end of the race. I can't tell you how much fun we had. I'm SO glad we booked this excursion.

We did this last November. We were a group of four; one couple in their mid-40's and the other in their early 50's and we had a blast. We are all big fans of the TV show, so when we saw this as an option for our stop in Cozumel, we knew that we had to give it a try.

There are some steps in at least one stop but nothing too strenuous. It was our favorite excursion to date. You definitely get to see parts of Cozumel that you never would on a typical excursion.

I say, "Go for it!" I think you'll be glad that you did.

• 3 weeks later...

We just did this on St. Marten August 7 cruise....

We did not win, but had a great time.

Cannot wait to do in Cozumel.

The one draw back is we carried our heavy beach bag with us.

I know do not bring it, but it held our towels and suntan lotion.

Does anyone know if on the race in Cozumel are their lockers to put your stuff in so you do not get weighted down.

Thanks

We did this excursion in 2014. It was too hard for our group of 8. We came in last, and we were all miserable by the end. 4 adults, 4 pre-teens. It was great being able to see some of the real city, but I hated that we felt so rushed. And it was hot! We thought we got lost at one point and that was a bit alarming. There is one point where you take a boat out and one or two people can jump in the water to see the clue better. My daughter did this (12), and she didn't have to swim very deep. It took only a minute to do this. I wouldn't do this excursion again. But I would love doing a tour around Cozumel that wasn't rushed or so spread out.

We just did this on St. Marten August 7 cruise....

We did not win, but had a great time.

Cannot wait to do in Cozumel.

The one draw back is we carried our heavy beach bag with us.

I know do not bring it, but it held our towels and suntan lotion.

Does anyone know if on the race in Cozumel are their lockers to put your stuff in so you do not get weighted down.

Thanks

They did not have lockers when our children did it last July 2016. Some of our kids brought backpacks for water/sunblock. They took turns carrying.

I am traveling with 11 other people. Can we all be on 1 team or will we be divided into other teams?

I think they want max of 10 in a team. You can divide yourselves to 2 teams if you want. You make your own teams. There was 18 in our group so we divided into 2 groups of 9. But there were other teams of just 2 people. When our kids did this in July 2016 our younger group won 3rd place. The 1st and 2nd place winners were both just 1 couple per team. A bigger group have to wait for everyone in the group to check in at every stop before they can proceed to the next clue. Our kids had a wonderful time.