Dock or Tender in La Spezia?

jvalastro

Hi, we are on the June 30th cruise aboard the Liberty of the Seas. We were originally planned to stop in Livorno, but a few weeks ago this got changed to La Spezia. So, when there first was this change, on the RCCL website it said that you have to tender to La Spezia, but not I just checked again today and it says we dock. Does anyone know which one it is?

Is there a reason why you don't feel the information on the cruise line's website is accurate? If so, you should probably call the cruise line to confirm.

You could also post your question on the Roll Call for your particular cruise where you'll meet others cruising with you.

To find the Roll Call for your cruise: click here, then click on the [name of your ship] Roll Calls, then search the list for the embarkation date of your cruise. Click on it for your Roll Call.

Enjoy your cruise...

Lew

I agree with the above poster. It has been a year since we were there, but at that time there was no possibility of even a much smaller ship docking in La Spezia (and I did not see them building anything).

Honestly, I think the tenders in La Spezia are faster and more efficient than the port buses in Livorno. It is really simple to tender here.

We were there last week and it was a dock. We rode a free shuttle bus to the entrance of the city.

~ Sheryl

Well there you go - we are sailing next month on Disney and all indications are that we will be tendering. So for the OP, it may be your ship is one of the lucky ones to get to dock - it will definitely make things easier for getting off and back on the ship!

Ships can dock at La Spezia, but if there is more than one, they may have to tender. When we were docked in Key West, Disney was there at the same time and tendered, so they may like the idea of tendering, with so many children around they can control things better.

Liberty will almost certainly be docked.

When we were docked in Key West, Disney was there at the same time and tendered, so they may like the idea of tendering, with so many children around they can control things better.

Whether a cruise ship docks or tenders is a decision made by the Harbormaster...not the cruise line. Just my opinion, but I would think docking provides an eminently safer environment than tendering for everyone involved.

Lew

The new dock opened on Sunday, April 7, 2013 with the arrival of the Costa Classica, according to this article: http://www.ilsecoloxix.it/p/la_spezia/2013/04/07/APpXglCF-crociere_spezia_prima.shtml, so something has changed (and rather recently).

After further reading, according to the Port Authority, they will be using two docks. One is in the naval yard and is called Molo Varicella and the other is Molo Garibaldi, which will be used when there is more than one cruise ship in port at the same time. http://www.porto.laspezia.it/notizie/oggi-costa-classica-e-liberty-of-the-seas-alla-spezia.-per-la-prima-volta-una-nave-da-crociera-all2019interno-della-base-militare Since Liberty of the Seas used the military dock, I'm guessing that it can handle larger ships than Garibaldi can.

Archived