MIA Airport After Getaway Disembarkation

chelles24

Hello! What time are some of the recent cruisers getting to MIA airport after disembarking from Getaway? Trying to figure out what the earliest flight I can realistically make after doing self disembarkation (carrying off all luggage) and taking a cab to the airport.

Thanks!

Michelle

Rule of thumb for Miami is try not to make a flight before noon. Many report being able to get to the airport by 9:30-1000 if you carry your own bags and take a taxi. Thing to remember about MIA is that it is an absolute zoo on Saturday mornings with very long lines to get through security.

Just a matter of taking a risk and stressing on making a flight that is early. :D

MIA - 10am is doable, but pretty tight. (maybe even 9:30 - but you would need to be have everything work right)

10:30 a bit better, but still chancy.

Noon is your best bet - but bottom line, what are your options?

As to FTL - harder to say due to distance.

Both MIA and FLL airports are nightmares on Saturdays and Sundays. Bear in mind that there will be other ships disembarking also.

On several occasions I booked morning flights home only to have to deal with the stress of checking in and getting through security and nearly missing -- and in one instance, actually missing -- my flight. After a wonderful cruise, that's the kind of stress you don't need. Either take a later flight or as someone else suggested, try and take a Monday flight.

Tracy

Thanks for the advice guys, but I've cruised a time or two (or 18 times to be exact :)). I'm really just looking for answers from those who have actually cruised on Getaway and flown out of MIA in the morning immediately following disembarkation. I know all the risks, and rewards, of flying soon after disembarking and am just trying to get a general consensus of what folks are currently, or in the recent past, are experiencing with this ship and airport.

Thanks!

Some of our family that cruised with us in October on the Getaway had no problem making a 1030 flight out of MIA. They carried their bags off and I believe they headed off the ship about 8ish and got a cab over to MIA. They made their flight even with a slight delay at airport security.

My experience 11/1 - After self disembarking at 8am with no rush (we could have left earlier) there was a short line for customs to get through and some unprepared cruisers slowing things down. The taxi area had no line and we were at the airport around 8:30. I think I saw 5 ships in port? We had time to print boarding passes, check bags and go through security by 9am. This was a Delta 11:50 flight. There are a lot of variables but noon was a very safe bet and a lot of time in the airport for me! In the future I would be fine with more risk and a flight as early as 10:30. :)

We disembarked on 11/1, had a car service meet us, and were at the airport in plenty of time for an 11:30 flight. We had to wait for the car to arrive and probably could have been at the airport by 10 or a little earlier. We were in one of the first groups to leave as we were in the Haven. I hope this helps.

I disembarked the Getaway on October 25th and took NCL's transfer to MIA...I walked off the ship at 8:30, and got to the airport terminal at 10:00. I erred on the side of caution and booked a 3pm flight...way too much time to kill.

Next time I'll do the self walk off...they allowed people to disembark starting at 7::15 so a noon or even 11:00 flight would be doable since hopping in a cab takes less time than loading and unloading a coach with 50 people.

We sailed Getaway in late Feb (3rd sailing from Miami). Walk-off disembarkation was a breeze. We had a 10:30A flight home...took cab and were at Miami airport by 8:45A. That is when things got hairy!!! You feel as though you are in a third world country at Miami International. Very congested and disorganized. Check-in painfully slow!! We did make our flight by the 'skin of our teeth' but will never fly in or out of Miami again if FLL flights are available.