Ouch! Those fares to Europe are "Sky High"

DonLou

I was looking around trying to compare prices of flights to Europe from the US in the summer and they are about $300-$400 more per person than what I paid last year. That and the high cost in Euros and Pounds is sure discouraging our plans for a European cruise in 2007. Is anybody else seeing higher prices for airfare to Europe compared to 2006? Are there anymore bargains out there?

I was fortunate in late October to booked a flight into Rome for next May. The price was under $1000 and since then the prices have gone past that mark. Apparently flights into Rome and Venice seem to be higher than flights into Barcelona or Frankfurt. Lets hope we see some good airfare prices come the first of the year. Summer airfares to Europe (June to August) are usually high, $1000 or more. Tim

I have been trying to get air to Barcelona for 7 months. I check everyday and I can't find anything for less than 1100. There are 4 of us booked on the cruise and I was advise by my loyalty ambassador to find air on my own as it would be cheaper. If I would have booked air at the time of the cruise I would have gotten it for 1000, now we may not be able to go at all.

I just booked my air yesterday rountrip from TPA to BCN was $938. It took a while, but I found it by booking TPA to JFK (Delta) then JFK to BCN (Iberia). Travel time was minimal and was able to use frequent flier miles for the domestic leg. Good luck! I do notice prices are just going up! Try kayak.com

The cheapest air that I have found is 594 a person from BOS to BCN but I am a little skeptial if I should book it because the return flights leaves at 9:50am and we get in at 5:00 and can get off at 7:00. Anyone think I could make, if not if will cost about $300 more a person.

http://www.bestfares.com/travel/desks/story.asp?id=50230&slot=0

"...up to 70 percent off to Amsterdam, Athens, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Munich, Stuttgart, Barcelona, Brussels, Luxembourg, Budapest, Bucharest, Copenhagen, Oslo, Venice, Istanbul, London, Milan, Madrid, Moscow, Nice, Paris, Prague, Rome, Stockholm, Vienna, Warsaw, Zurich, Geneva, Basel and... cheap add-on fares to many international gateways. These airfares can be up to 70 percent off and are sold on a first come, first served basis..."

We went with Air Canada from Toronto to Rome direct last May. Cost $1,300 with taxes (Canadian)

I looked again and it was $1,800 for the same flight for 2007! (There is now a sale on that has reduced this to approx $1,250 inc.)

I was not impressed with our flight and vowed to use British Airways for our next trip (June 07) to Italy, even though it means a change of planes at Heathrow. We got our tickets for $1,150 Can. inc.

I find flying to Italy from Toronto is almost double what I pay to go to England. When I have more time and flexibility I will fly to the U.K and then use a cheap charter like Ryan Air to get to Rome from there!

http://www.bestfares.com/travel/desks/story.asp?id=50230&slot=0

"...up to 70 percent off to Amsterdam, Athens, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Munich, Stuttgart, Barcelona, Brussels, Luxembourg, Budapest, Bucharest, Copenhagen, Oslo, Venice, Istanbul, London, Milan, Madrid, Moscow, Nice, Paris, Prague, Rome, Stockholm, Vienna, Warsaw, Zurich, Geneva, Basel and... cheap add-on fares to many international gateways. These airfares can be up to 70 percent off and are sold on a first come, first served basis..."

Has anyone joined BestFares? Is it worth it?

I joined a couple of weeks ago as I was looking for anything cheaper as the days we want (or need) to fly is running $1,500 - $1,800. I signed up as one of their sales had Houston to Barcelona for around $850. However, when I called with my specific dates it was around $1,350 with 2 stops (and I can get one stop with RCCL for $1,300.) I don't really fault BestFares because I believe the days we need to travel are popular so the demand has the price up (and I don't see them being able to offer a fare less than half off.)

One of their recent articles (sales) had this note: Please note that availability during summer months (June thru August) will be extremely limited.

They do have a 30 day guarantee, so it's worth a look to see if you can find significant savings and if not, cancel.

We booked Delta from LAX (through Atlanta to and NY back) for October for 880........Of course they've changed the schedule a few times, but we're inked........and we're going 3 days prior to the cruise, so I'm not too worried about getting there. We are cutting it close with a 10AM departure after the cruise, but everyone assures me ship docks by 7 and we'll be fine.

Archived