Fly in LATE Friday or early Sat?

Jons9999

For a Sunday cruise from Miami.

Fly into FLL about 1:00AM on Friday night or about 10:00AM on Sat? Be nice to get a whole beach day, but don't want to spend a bunch of money on a room and get there at 2AM.

I'm not sure how long your flight is, but I would opt for the Sat. morning flight. I really have not enjoyed any red eye flights that I've taken in the past.

More details about the 2 flights would be helpful.

It's a 3 hour flight...

The initial reason was that it would be easier to have someone take us to the airport at 6PM than at 4AM.. flight Fri night is about $15 cheaper.. and I guess it would be nice to be down there to hit the beach earlier...

But at what cost for a hotel room?? Worth $200 for a quick night?

what about a hotel room Friday night close to your local airport

either way you will need a hotel for Friday night/morning

We live an hour from the airport so usually go there the night before then get to MIA a day before the cruise

Personal choice

I would fly in late Friday night and have a great Saturday in Miami Beach!

I would book a FLL airport hotel on hotwire for Friday night then get up early Saturday and Uber to a hotel in South Beach. I would give my luggage to the hotel then head for either the pool or beach and veg out most of the day. I'd walk over to Smith & Wollensky to their outdoor bar for happy hour and watch the cruise ships leave through Government Cut. I'd then head to Havana 1957 (Ocean Drive outside) about 9PM or later for an alfresco Cuban meal and magnificent people watching. I'd end the evening at Sky Bar at The Shore Club outside by the pool with a nightcap. It's an amazing space you have to see to believe.

That's my suggestion.

I think "BlueHerons" has the best plan. Your hotel close to FLL airport won't be that expensive, but well worth it to get some sleep, a shower and then you will be ready to get the vacation started the next morning. That way you have your ride to the airport and apply the $15pp savings towards an inexpensive hotel that night.

Have a great cruise and a fun vacation!

Sounds like a plan! As you get closer to your cruise date, check the prices on your hotel rooms. You might find an even better $$. Of course this works if you have reservations that can be cancelled ahead of time.

I also always check TripAdvisor for reviews and photos of hotels.

Factor into your cost any transportation you might have.

Have fun and let us know how everything works out for you.

I figured only going to be at Motel 6 for about 6 hours so can deal with it lol

Nothing wrong with your thought, however having a hotel that is safe and comfortable is a minimum for me. Sometimes just another $10 or $20 can make a big difference. Plus if the hotel comes with free breakfast and free airport shuttle, it can pay for the difference in those amenities. Or if it doesn't include breakfast, then having places to grab a bite within walking distance is helpful.

I'm just saying doing a small amount of research ahead of time, can make a big difference in your experience.

If you don't mind sharing what the dates are for your cruise, then we can help you find a good hotel at a price that won't break the bank.

Do you have any credit cards that have loyalty programs? Our credit union credit cards earn points that allow me to order gift cards for several hotel chains. I've used them before and either paid the hotel in full with the gift cards or ending up paying no more than $20 out of my own pocket. You can also go to Groupon and see if they have any hotels for a discounted price on your dates.

You should only have to "deal" with a hotel if there are no other alternatives. It only takes a little time to do a bit of research, but can have a big difference.

Our cruise is Feb 11-18, only rewards is a Southwest CC

Your SW CC has a reward program (Rapid Reward) and if you can use points for gift cards for Best Western, Fairmont Hotels, I-Hotels, and Bed & Breakfast dot com.

It looks like 2/9/18 is pricey right now, but it is early to get your best prices. This is where having refundable reservations comes in handy.

The Comfort Inn, 3551 W. Commercial Blvd. is currently running $112 for that Friday night for 2 Adults. They advertise free breakfast and airport shuttle. I would call the hotel directly and ask them what hours their shuttle runs. And if the shuttle doesn't run, will they reimburse you for your taxi or Uber cost. This price is available thru Expedia, Priceline, and Comfort Inn & Suites. After carefully checking that price - it is the non-refundable $. The everyday $ is $140 or $137 if you sign up for their free member card.

I really think you will find a better price in a couple of months closer to your cruise. It is a good idea to reserve something, just in case prices go up for some reason. Be sure you can cancel w/o penalty.

You could also try using name your own price with Priceline. I have done that once flying into Honolulu for a cruise and the hotel prices were crazy expensive. We ended up with an amazing hotel for a great price. Just do your research and you can end up in a nice hotel for a reasonable amount.