Hotels around Fiumicino (Rome airport)

kcgolfer

Need help with ideas on hotel around Rome (FCO) airport. We are getting off transatlantic Galaxy cruise next May and want to stay near airport so we can catch an early flight the next morning rather than way in Rome.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

KC Golfer :)

We stayed after TA at Hilton at airport in 2006. You can stay in covered walkway from terminal to Hilton entry (200-yards?)and there are luggage carts available. Hilton has free bus to historic district (45 min ride) every 2 hours.

Hotel is modern average business-class hotel. Food/drinks VERY expensive, consider paying fee for access to hospitality suite that has free beer, wine, bevs, finger foods, fruit, pastries, internet, etc. Or checkout food choices at airport and walk back over. Good Luck

we came in for our Liberty Cruise in 05 late in day after having flown all night with 6 of us (son, DIL and 2 grands, 3 & 5 - stayed on the concierge floor - wonderful - walked from our gate to the hotel - pushed luggage - had drinks and went to bed - got up next morning feeling fresh, had b'fast in concierge floor lounge and then headed downtown for 5 nite stay at Cavalieri Hilton over looking Rome before boarding ship - we can highly recommend the Hilton at the airport - interesting pool - good concierge service - We are diamond members of Hilton and love staying there - sure there are others but we all recommend this one. Happy Sails to you...dbh

and I mean it! It is an ugly pile of grey concrete built, it looks like, by some Soviet-era architect. The hallways were dark and very unwelcoming. The room was about Motel 6 quality. The connection to the terminal is a longgg walk down a dreary walkway. Be sure and grab a trolley and take it to your room or the walk is even longer if you have to hump your luggage. There is no express check-out so I paid up the night before I left as lines were long every time I ventured into the lobby area. There is nothing to eat either pre or post security at the airport. The airport is a total soup sandwich!! I am sure there are much better options but, as I was on my own, I didn't want to hassle with shuttles and such early in the AM. Good luck!!!!!!!!!

and I mean it! It is an ugly pile of grey concrete built, it looks like, by some Soviet-era architect. The hallways were dark and very unwelcoming. The room was about Motel 6 quality. The connection to the terminal is a longgg walk down a dreary walkway. Be sure and grab a trolley and take it to your room or the walk is even longer if you have to hump your luggage. There is no express check-out so I paid up the night before I left as lines were long every time I ventured into the lobby area. There is nothing to eat either pre or post security at the airport. The airport is a total soup sandwich!! I am sure there are much better options but, as I was on my own, I didn't want to hassle with shuttles and such early in the AM. Good luck!!!!!!!!!

We have stayed at the Rome airport Hilton on three separate trips and never had the experience that hybrn8 had. Yes, the architecture of the outside of the hotel may be dated but after 18 hours in planes and airports being able to get off the plane, walk two hundred yards or so and go to bed was well worth it. We did not find the hallways dark. They were well lit. The rooms were nice (the equivalent of any Marriott or Hilton we had stayed in stateside) and the food in the restaurant was great.

We have stayed at the Hotel Cancelli Rossi. There is a shuttle bus (6 Euros each) that picks up passengers outside the Arrivals Terminal. The hotel has very poor ratings on Trip Advisor, but we have found it clean, quiet and with a good restaurant. The desk staff are rather rude, but helpful. Prices are relatively low. Good breakfast buffet (included in price), but serving does not start until 7:00 AM - maybe a problem if you have an early moring flight. The hotel seems to be popular with European families and groups.

and, as such, I cannot recommend the Hilton. If I was getting off an overseas flight, I could put up with its shortcomings. But, for the price paid, it is not as convenient as its website wants you to believe - it is a very long walk and you really, really need a trolley and there were none in the Hilton lobby. I found mine outside in the hotel's forecourt.

Interesting posts. We have stayed at the Hilton on 3 ocassions, whenever we had an early flight (before 11) out of FCO. It is the only Hotel located in the immediate vacinity of the airport, although there are a few other motels located within a few miles. We find the hotel to be a very typical airport hilton which means it big, well sound-proofed, with normal Hilton rooms and their very upscale bedding. The hotel is designed to serve business travelers on an expense account and all the restaurants are overpriced. This being said, they do have an excellent dinner buffet every night, but the cost is about $50 per person (approximate). Much has been posted about the walk to the airport. Yes, its long, but its very convenient. The entrance to the walkway is about 10 feet from the main hotel entrance and once you are in the walkway its entirely covered and flat. If you have a major issue with the walk you just have to request a shuttle and the Hilton will drive you over to the terminal. This hotel is not cheap, but we usually have enough Hilton Honors points to get a free room. We really like the Hilton option because we can turn-in our rental car the evening before our flight, walk over to the hotel, and than know exactly how long it takes to walk to the terminal in the morning without worrying about waiting for a shuttle, taxi, etc. Those who complain about the long walk are often those that could really use that long walk (big smile).

Hank

We booked this airport Hilton using a free night through HiltonHonors and there are three of us. Our choice was either a king or two beds. But, then I found out that the beds are twins and not doubles as would be the case in the US. The reservation notes three of us, but it appears that only two of us will have beds? Do they have rollaways available?

I booked this hotel because it was free and seemed convenient - but are there better choices for one extra night in Rome?

I would emphasize that we only recommend the Hilton if you have an early flight (before noon). Given a choice we would always opt to spend a night in Rome as opposed to the airport. Why? In Rome you have lots of choices for restaurants for your "last supper" and its a fun city for walking at night. In fact, the last time we did stay at the Hilton, we checked-in about 4pm and than walked over to FCO and grabbed the train into Rome for dinner and our evening (the last train back leaves about 11 or 11:30). The only problem with this scenario is that trains (Leonardo Express) cost us over $50 round trip (per couple). As much as we do like the location of the Hilton for early flights, we detest their limited (and very overpriced) dinner offerings.

Hank

OK, so maybe the Hilton isn't our best option for a one-night post-cruise stay (even if it's free). We have a 2:00 PM flight the next day and X will be taking us to the airport after the cruise. So, we'd be now looking for a relatively inexpensive hotel closer to the city and transportation to/from the airport - any ideas? Thanks!

Archived