Using verizon cell in St Thomas

solehigh

Thanks so much for the information...I just called Verizion yesterday to ask and they told me all were free. I can see whoever I talked to didn't state $1.99 a minute for voice. We are also going to San Juan, Puerto Rico I assume the same applies.

Thanks so much for the information...I just called Verizion yesterday to ask and they told me all were free. I can see whoever I talked to didn't state $1.99 a minute for voice. We are also going to San Juan, Puerto Rico I assume the same applies.

I think the confusion comes from whether or not the agent understands that you are traveling to St. Thomas. If you are not traveling, just calling from the US to St. Thomas, then there is no charge. Since you are traveling and on a roaming partners network, that's why there is an extra charge for the phone calls. Puerto Rico actually is all considered domestic. See the pictures again! The first one is where most of the agents I feel are getting confused, the second shows the rates while in Puerto Rico.

global.jpg.520d396a0c6883df28ac72c6ab4366af.jpg

447460071_stthomas.jpg.7de2f604485dff1eda4a9fb53d42ae07.jpg

Verizon works just fine in San Juan. No roaming. It is the same as if you used it at home.

In San Juan 18 months ago...free phone calls, called my mom twice. No extra charge?? Dn't know why.

AT&T and Sprint have a local presence in the USVI, so included on a national plan. AT&T is probably the better of the two. Verizon (cell) is roaming and $2 a minute. If you get it free, you are lucky. There have been rumors that Verizon was building towers, but so far no word...

• 1 month later...

I was in St. Thomas the first week of January and I was concerned about this before I left. The night before I traveled, I spent an hour and a half on the phone with Verizon trying to get an answer (spent most of the time on hold and had to talk to four different people). I still wasn't sure what was going to happen when I got down there.

Upon arrival in St. Thomas, I sent and received texts, no problem. My phone received phone calls just like as if I were at home, no additional fees. But I could NOT call out the entire five days I was there. I'd get a message saying that service was not available. I had to text people to ask them to call me. :/

• 10 months later...

Just got off the phone with Verizon (and he then sent me an email with a chart confirming what he told me) and calls are FREE from San Juan. Calls are $1.99 per minute from St. Thomas. Texting (messages, not photos) is free to send and receive in both places.

Hope this helps.

Spent 10 days on St Thomas this summer with Verizon Iphones. No additional charges showed up for texting and we never made actual phone calls. We used WiFi for emails and internet. AT&T has a tower on St Thomas so my husband had a different experience with his work IPhone.

Sent from my iPad using Forums