Booked My First River Cruise

Lois R

And I am really excited.....after 12 years of "Ocean Cruises" I have recently booked my first River Cruise for next spring.....April 2016:D

I am sailing out of Amsterdam on a "TULIP TIME" cruise....going around

The Netherlands and Belgium.....my first time for all these new things:)

First time to all these countries and first ever River Cruise.....I will keep

an eye out on the weather.....I think it may be on the cool side.....so

long pants for daytime tours and long sleeves/cardigan/jacket.....and

I will take heed from my Med cruise (which was way back in 2012) but

I will be wearing good walking shoes (and socks) for tours:)

Already booked my hotel pre-cruise in Amsterdam but waiting on the

flights......prices are crazy high right now:eek:..As for clothing? Maybe

will get a couple of new things but I doubt it.

Hi Lois,

Lucky you! We have wanted to do a river cruise (France) for a long time but the airfare always stops us. What line are you going on?

Susan

Hi Susan:)...I am going on AMA Waterways and I haven't booked my

flights yet. Anytime you are flying to Europe it is going to cost $$$$$.....

I am hoping maybe later in the year prices will go down a bit because

you are right.....well, I just don't want to pay these prices:rolleyes:

Choice Air? My TA even called AMA to book through them but prices

are just as high........

I will wait a few months and see if anything good happens.;)

I just booked a flight from London To Tampa & it was less than half price on cruise air . Have a great river cruise ! I recently bought easy spirit walking shoes & they are the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn.

Hi Sally,:) when are you flying? I think flights are always less money

to London;)

And when you say cruise air....you mean you booked through the cruisline, correct?

So, if the cruiseline is not offereing any deals, then booking on your own is the

alternative.......glad it worked out for you:)

Edited by Lois R

Fares depend on airline and where you leave from in the US. For me, Paris & Amsterdam are usually a few hundred cheaper than London - I fly Delta and CDG & AMS are hubs.

I want to be in charge of my flights so I always book my own, and just budget it all as part of the vacation. If the money isn't in the vacation account, we don't make the trip. The Euro exchange rate is SOOOOO amazing right now! Absolutely the best time to head over:D

We did a Christmas market cruise in December and being yankees who live in the South, we like to travel when it's cool - so I just packed the way I would for a land trip to "north of the Alps" Europe in the fall/early winter.

Edited by Hoyaheel

Fares depend on airline and where you leave from in the US. For me, Paris & Amsterdam are usually a few hundred cheaper than London - I fly Delta and CDG & AMS are hubs.

I want to be in charge of my flights so I always book my own, and just budget it all as part of the vacation. If the money isn't in the vacation account, we don't make the trip. The Euro exchange rate is SOOOOO amazing right now! Absolutely the best time to head over:D

We did a Christmas market cruise in December and being yankees who live in the South, we like to travel when it's cool - so I just packed the way I would for a land trip to "north of the Alps" Europe in the fall/early winter.

Hi:)....I agree, timing and city.....well,...right now flying from Jax

to AMS is over 1200 bucks:rolleyes:.....hopefully the price will go down

later in the year and I also agree, If I don't have the money, I won't

make the trip.

I want to be in charge of my flights so I always book my own, and just budget it all as part of the vacation.

If previous posters are referring to ChoiceAir, which is associated with Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, and Azamara, you do have control of your flights. You go to the website, search for flights, and choose what you want. Or you can call. The prices are usually the same as what you'd find on an airline's website (or one of those sites we're not allowed to name), and I've been able to fly in days before the cruise or depart days after. In particular, I have found ChoiceAir has great prices for one-way flights (i.e., for transatlantic cruises where I need a flight in only one direction).

I am not sure what kind of flight arrangements can be made with the OP's cruise line, which I have not heard of.

I am not sure what kind of flight arrangements can be made with the OP's cruise line, which I have not heard of.

It's a river cruise line. Quite well known.

I mean - I want TOTAL control of my flights. I want to pick the airline. I want to know that the fare basis I've purchased gives me miles to maintain my status, etc. But then, I pretty much want complete control of my entire travel experience, so...Just my preference;)

If previous posters are referring to ChoiceAir, which is associated with Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, and Azamara, you do have control of your flights. You go to the website, search for flights, and choose what you want. Or you can call. The prices are usually the same as what you'd find on an airline's website (or one of those sites we're not allowed to name), and I've been able to fly in days before the cruise or depart days after. In particular, I have found ChoiceAir has great prices for one-way flights (i.e., for transatlantic cruises where I need a flight in only one direction).

AMA Waterways is the cruiseline and it is quite well known in the "River Cruise Industry".

Edited by Lois R

Lois,

I am soooooo envious, do you need a roomie?:D

A river cruise is sort of on our radar. DH is a reluctant traveler but someone he knows only goes on river cruises so has been putting the bug in his ear.

Hi stranger:D you know me well enough to know....as much as I like

having my friends, sharing a cabin is not something I do with them;):):D

Lois, I'm so excited (and envious) for you! :p You're so adventurous! I've had river cruises in my head for awhile now but since we don't cruise anymore...oh well. Maybe some day.

Can't wait to hear how your packing plans come along. And good luck with the air reservations.

It's a river cruise line. Quite well known.

I got that from the title of the thread and the first post. I'll take your word for it that it's "well known."

I mean - I want TOTAL control of my flights. I want to pick the airline. I want to know that the fare basis I've purchased gives me miles to maintain my status, etc. But then, I pretty much want complete control of my entire travel experience, so...Just my preference;)

You can get all of that information through ChoiceAir. Use them or don't--whatever. I just wanted anyone who was confused about what ChoiceAir is to understand it's not like the traditional roll-of-the-dice air booking with a cruise line.

Hi Lois! So excited for you and your newest adventure. Paul and I went to Amsterdam for 3 nights this June, so I'll share some things with you....

We flew out of MIA and found the most reasonable flights (with decent schedules) to be on British Airways, connecting in London Heathrow. There were a few other choices, but the connection times were too short or too long, or they didn't fly every day, or the total time was really long. My experience with booking European flights is that we usually book about 8 months in advance and rarely find any price drops beyond a few dollars; rather, the prices go up a little every few weeks and then level out.

We stayed at the Hampshire American Amsterdam Hotel. We got it on Orbitz for only $200/night. We had to prepay but it was totally refundable. The hotel was nice and has a bar in the lobby. It's located halfway between the Ann Frank House and the Museumplein. We never took a taxi anywhere, as it was a great location. It felt like a very safe city. We took a bus from the airport to the hotel but my husband was cursing me the whole time because I brought a lot of luggage :D; we took a private car service back to the airport and it was inexpensive.

We bought museum tickets online for Ann Frank House, Rijks Museum, and Van Gogh Museum, and printed them out to bring with us. This saved us an hour or so in line at each site, as we walked right in.

Now back to clothing...:):):)

Even in June, it was cool. I wore long sleeves in the daytime and sweaters and a jacket in the evening. So bundle up! The tulips are bloomin'!!! Are there formal nights on river cruises???

Hi stranger:D you know me well enough to know....as much as I like

having my friends, sharing a cabin is not something I do with them;):):D

No, I wasn't serious. :)

I've cruised with a couple different friends and it's not my preference. Truth be told, I was about ready to strangle my sister by the end of the week.:eek:

Hi Lois! So excited for you and your newest adventure. Paul and I went to Amsterdam for 3 nights this June, so I'll share some things with you....

We flew out of MIA and found the most reasonable flights (with decent schedules) to be on British Airways, connecting in London Heathrow. There were a few other choices, but the connection times were too short or too long, or they didn't fly every day, or the total time was really long. My experience with booking European flights is that we usually book about 8 months in advance and rarely find any price drops beyond a few dollars; rather, the prices go up a little every few weeks and then level out.

We stayed at the Hampshire American Amsterdam Hotel. We got it on Orbitz for only $200/night. We had to prepay but it was totally refundable. The hotel was nice and has a bar in the lobby. It's located halfway between the Ann Frank House and the Museumplein. We never took a taxi anywhere, as it was a great location. It felt like a very safe city. We took a bus from the airport to the hotel but my husband was cursing me the whole time because I brought a lot of luggage :D; we took a private car service back to the airport and it was inexpensive.

We bought museum tickets online for Ann Frank House, Rijks Museum, and Van Gogh Museum, and printed them out to bring with us. This saved us an hour or so in line at each site, as we walked right in.

Now back to clothing...:)

Even in June, it was cool. I wore long sleeves in the daytime and sweaters and a jacket in the evening. So bundle up! The tulips are bloomin'!!! Are there formal nights on river cruises???

Hi Sharon:)..thank you for all the tips:). I booked my hotel already.

It is called The Mansion Banks and looks lovely. As for flights.......

Miami probably has quite a few more choices than here but if I can

fly across the pond with only 1 stop (here in the states) that would

be my preference. Right now United flies from Jax to Amsterdam with

only one stop...either Jax to Chicago to AMS.....Jax to Dulles to AMS

or Jax to Newark to AMS......

You live much closer to Miami;)

As for formal nights? Nope.....but I will probably bring a long skirt and

a nice top.....along with several pair of nicer slacks.

Thanks again for all the information.:)

Edited by Lois R

May I ask did they charge a large single supplement?

Sure you may ask:)..and the answer is no:D...AMA has cruises where it is

totally waived...they have a certain amount of single cabins and when

you book one of those there is no supplement:D.

If anyone reading this thread is interested in river cruises & things like single supplements - the River Cruise forum is full of information. There have been several lines who've had promos recently waiving the single supplement. As with any other "fare" - seems like once one company drops the price (or the supplement) many follow suit. I'm not shopping for a river cruise so I'm not sure that any promos are currently active, but it's nice to know for future reference that it does happen:D

Hi Sharon:)..thank you for all the tips:). I booked my hotel already.

It is called The Mansion Banks and looks lovely. As for flights.......

Miami probably has quite a few more choices than here but if I can

fly across the pond with only 1 stop (here in the states) that would

be my preference. Right now United flies from Jax to Amsterdam with

only one stop...either Jax to Chicago to AMS.....Jax to Dulles to AMS

or Jax to Newark to AMS......

You live much closer to Miami;)

As for formal nights? Nope.....but I will probably bring a long skirt and

a nice top.....along with several pair of nicer slacks.

Thanks again for all the information.:)

Your hotel is in a good location for visiting the museums, halfway between Rijks and Rembrandt House, by the flower market. Watch out for bicycles...they go fast and zoom by when you least expect them! It sounds like you have a nice selection of flights to choose from too.

Your hotel is in a good location for visiting the museums, halfway between Rijks and Rembrandt House, by the flower market. Watch out for bicycles...they go fast and zoom by when you least expect them! It sounds like you have a nice selection of flights to choose from too.

Hi Sharon:)...lots of choices but all of them are more than I want

to spend.....hoping prices will come down later in the year.

Hi Sharon:)...lots of choices but all of them are more than I want

to spend.....hoping prices will come down later in the year.

I wonder if AMA has any contracts with airlines where you can book a refundable ticket at non-refundable prices without paying until final payment is due. This way if the price goes up instead of down you have something booked. The reason that I ask is that I've done this when booking Gate1 tours with Lufthansa and it worked out great.

Edited by royalcruz