southwest question

serene56

airfare to fll for our cruise is 92one way.

i want to take the grand daughter but have to wait to see when they will be taking the standardized testing. if that test is the week we go and she cant go do i forfeit that seat. ?

I agree with the others. You have one year to use it, but it mut be for the person named on the ticket. Southwest used to allow you to use the ticket for anyone else, but now it has to be for the original passenger.

There are different rates and they offer different levels of flexiblity. The cheapest fare is the wanna get away fare, and of course it is the most restrictive. With this rate the ticket is non transferable and non refundable, but you can change the flight and only pay the difference in the ticket price, within 1 year of the origional purchase date. So what that means for you is that if you buy your granddaughter a ticket and she ends up not being able to go you can book her another flight that is completed within 1 year of the origional purchase date. No one else can use the credit other than your granddaughter. If you purchase one of the more expensive fares there is more flexibilty to this, but I'm not as familar with those rates. I just had to deal with a very similar situation with southwest about a week ago, so its still fresh in my mind.

Cannot answer your question, but, I WILL say, Southwest is the ONLY airline I will fly!!!! I hate flying, and they have the best safety record. Their pilots and flight attendants are the FUNNIEST in the skies!!! Sorry to get offline. :)

Careful... It depends on what type of fare you book for a name change to be allowed...

But on another note, since you brought this up, I check my flight and found it was $10.00 less, now I have a credit I can use at a future point.

Wanna Get Away

Excellent Value

• No Change Fees
    (applicable fare difference applies)
  • Reusable Funds
    (nontransferable - no name changes allowed)
  • Nonrefundable

Find out from the school if there will be makeup dates for the tests. Our districts have other days to get the take the tests. How are the tests used? Each state is differnt. At times we have opted our DDs out of testing with no penalty to them.

Cannot answer your question, but, I WILL say, Southwest is the ONLY airline I will fly!!!! I hate flying, and they have the best safety record. Their pilots and flight attendants are the FUNNIEST in the skies!!! Sorry to get offline. :)

All airlines in the US are extremely safe these days. Southwest has been hit with fines lately by the government for maintenance issues, like some other airlines. The example last year of the top of the plane opening up at altitude shows that Southwest is far from perfect, safety wise.

You do restrict where you can fly, and at what fare, if you only fly the one airline. Sometimes Southwest is cheapest and sometimes not, even taking into account the 2 free bags up to 50 lbs. Southwest has in fact had some well-reported maintenance problems and was fined over these: http://www.ibtimes.com/southwest-airlines-has-history-maintenance-problems-report-278379 I find the flight attendants pleasant enough, but the scripted (and endlessly circulated on Youtube) schticks by the FAs are a bit much for me. We do fly them, and will again early next year, but IMHO the hype exceeds the actual practice.

I find the flight attendants pleasant enough, but the scripted (and endlessly circulated on Youtube) schticks by the FAs are a bit much for me. We do fly them, and will again early next year, but IMHO the hype exceeds the actual practice.

I agree. I do still use southwest sometimes as they're the largest airline at my home airport by far, but I don't use them nearly as much as I used to. They really don't offer any advantages to me as a frequent business traveler. And when I did fly them frequently, I got sick of hearing the same jokes every third flight. Funny the first couple times, but than it just gets overdone to me.

They're a fine airline. I do have one outstanding ticket for December for a business trip to Huntsville (easier to fly nonstop to Nashville and drive), so I still use them. But...not nearly as much.

you can cancel you reservation on southwest with out penalty, you will receive SW credit for another flight in the amount you paid that anyone can use.

I believe this is wrong. The credit has to be used by the cancelled passenger. I just went thru this with my husband and stepdaughter. I lost her cancelled airfare because she won't be going anywhere within the next year (she moved and is in college).

I believe this is wrong. The credit has to be used by the cancelled passenger. I just went thru this with my husband and stepdaughter. I lost her cancelled airfare because she won't be going anywhere within the next year (she moved and is in college).

You are correct. Ever since Jan 2011, Southwest limits the use of a credit to the originally tickted passenger.

you can cancel you reservation on southwest with out penalty, you will receive SW credit for another flight in the amount you paid that anyone can use.

Unfortunately, that statement is now incorrect. Up until a few years ago, the credit could be used by anyone, but now the credit may only be used by the person whose name is on the ticket.

Also the credit must be used within a year of the date that the original ticket was purchased, not within a year of the date of the original flight.

So, if the ticket was purchased on June 1, 2012 for a flight to take place on November 1, 2012 and then the ticket is cancelled, the person whose name is on the ticket must complete travel on a re-booked flight by June 1, 2013, not November 1, 2013. (I.e., you can't just book a flight by June 1, 2013. You have to complete your travel by June 1, 2013.)

Cannot answer your question, but, I WILL say, Southwest is the ONLY airline I will fly!!!! I hate flying, and they have the best safety record.

Southwest has a good safety record, but not the "best". For example, they overshot the runway at BUR about 10 years ago. There were fortunately no fatalities, but it was ignored as a wake-up call. Several years later there was a very similar accident at MDW and that one was fatal.

Same thing with the hole in the fuselage that Zach commented on.. it happened once before and lapses in their maintenance and inspection programs were ignored...big FAA fine.

There are other airlines with zero fatalities and no serious incidents that are candidates for "best".

Archived