Boston hotel suggestions

So $150 - $200 per night is unrealistic? Anywhere in Boston?

Anywhere in Boston is not downtown Boston. I need the exact dates you are looking at. It would also be helpful to know what you want to see and do. Is taking public transit an option for you?

My experience in this great city has been in the Copley Plaza area. I have found this area to meet my needs for dining and acess to transportation for sightseeing. This July, I am booked at the Fairmont Copley Plaza Hotel, which will be a first for me at this property and am looking forward to a 2 night stay at this historic hotel. It is one block from the Boston Metro trolley that will provide me with the ability to visit the one site in Boston that I really want to do inexpensively.: the JFK Museum and Library.

If you are taking a cruise, check with your cruise line as to the hotel packages that they may offer. Sometimes, the rates for such packages and the amenities that they provide are a better deal than trying to book on one's own.

thanks to all who have replied. Will take rkacruiser's advice.

I'm not sure why you don't want to tell us the dates you require or what you want to do in Boston. When folks give me dates, I check a bunch of sites to see if there are any deals out there in appropriate locations for the sightseeing objectives and budget. I just found a hotel for LoisR that is located at the airport on the water, fits her budget and sightseeing objectives, and is appropriate for a solo traveler.

Take a look at the John Jeffries House which is a B&B hotel. It is located in Beacon Hill near the Charles/MGH red line stop. If they have availability, the rooms should be close to your target budget.

I've booked a doubletree in boston - it has complimentary shuttles to/from logan as well as to/from the port. i am not interested in the city itself since I've been many times, so I'm not sure if thats a concern. its around 210.

I've booked a doubletree in boston - it has complimentary shuttles to/from logan as well as to/from the port. i am not interested in the city itself since I've been many times, so I'm not sure if thats a concern. its around 210.

That sounds like the Doubletree Bayside which is in Dorchester down by the JFK Library and UMass Boston. Closest T station would be JFK/UMass. Definitely not a downtown hotel - at least 30 min to get in town and not a lot of amenities nearby.

We've used both Hotwire and Priceline for hotels. We were able to reserve the Seaport via Hotwire for well under $300, St. Charles regatta weekend. I cross reference Hotwire's listings (hotel amenities and descriptions) with Trip Advisor - helps to determine the hotel identity when using Hotwire.

That sounds like the Doubletree Bayside which is in Dorchester down by the JFK Library and UMass Boston. Closest T station would be JFK/UMass. Definitely not a downtown hotel - at least 30 min to get in town and not a lot of amenities nearby.

like i said - i am not interested in boston since i have been many many times. my suggestion was as a place to sleep and shower, rather than flying in the same day as a departure.

For those purposes you can probably do cheaper on the airport side of the tunnels.

That's probably true, but you don't get the availability of both an airport and a Cruiseport shuttle, which has a value of at least $50. Of course you can always use the free hotel shuttle to and from the airport and the Silver Line which is free to Black Falcon and $2.65 from Black Falcon to the airport - not an option that most cruisers would consider.

My experience in this great city has been in the Copley Plaza area. I have found this area to meet my needs for dining and acess to transportation for sightseeing. This July, I am booked at the Fairmont Copley Plaza Hotel, which will be a first for me at this property and am looking forward to a 2 night stay at this historic hotel. It is one block from the Boston Metro trolley that will provide me with the ability to visit the one site in Boston that I really want to do inexpensively.: the JFK Museum and Library.

If you are taking a cruise, check with your cruise line as to the hotel packages that they may offer. Sometimes, the rates for such packages and the amenities that they provide are a better deal than trying to book on one's own.

You do know that the museum is nowhere near the hotel, right?

You do know that the museum is nowhere near the hotel, right?

My understanding of his post is that he is willing to ride the green line, the red line, and the JFK Library shuttle bus for over an hour from Back Bay so that he only has to pay $2.65 each way to get there.

My understanding of his post is that he is willing to ride the green line, the red line, and the JFK Library shuttle bus for over an hour from Back Bay so that he only has to pay $2.65 each way to get there.

I guess you are correct.

cpl100 and 138east,

Yes, my plan has been to use public transport from the Fairmont to/from the JFK Museum. Thanks to 138east's most recent post, I did not realize that it would take over an hour to do so. Hmmm. I am going to re-think my plans for transport. Any idea as to what a taxi might cost?

I really do want to visit the Museum. But, it seems unwise to devote an extraordinary amount of time getting to and from the Museum when that time could be better spent at the Museum.

My original thought was to use a taxi. But, when I began to research Boston's public transportation system and where the hotel was in relation to a trolly stop, I changed my mind.

I do appreciate your thoughts and concerns. Thank you.

cpl100 and 138east,

Yes, my plan has been to use public transport from the Fairmont to/from the JFK Museum. Thanks to 138east's most recent post, I did not realize that it would take over an hour to do so. Hmmm. I am going to re-think my plans for transport. Any idea as to what a taxi might cost?

I really do want to visit the Museum. But, it seems unwise to devote an extraordinary amount of time getting to and from the Museum when that time could be better spent at the Museum.

My original thought was to use a taxi. But, when I began to research Boston's public transportation system and where the hotel was in relation to a trolly stop, I changed my mind.

I do appreciate your thoughts and concerns. Thank you.

What day of the week and what time? Taxi fare finder says $19-43 with an Average if $23.50 each way. JFK Museum is not convenient to anything.

What are you paying for the Copley Plaza?

What day of the week and what time? Taxi fare finder says $19-43 with an Average if $23.50 each way. JFK Museum is not convenient to anything.

What are you paying for the Copley Plaza?

Tuesday. I expect to leave the hotel in the 9:30-10:00 A. M. area and return from the Museum in the 3:30-4:00 area, or earlier if I have visited the galleries I wish to explore.

The Copley Plaza is booked as a HAL pre-cruise hotel package whose price I prefer not to state on a public message board.