Taxi Service in Amsterdam

My wife and I will be spending a couple of days in Amsterdam before our cruise next July.

We would like to know whatever those of you with experience can tell us about taxi service in Amsterdam. Is it readily available? How much is it? do they take credit cards?

Anything else you think might be helpful would be appreciated.

Thanks!

My wife and I will be spending a couple of days in Amsterdam before our cruise next July.

We would like to know whatever those of you with experience can tell us about taxi service in Amsterdam. Is it readily available? How much is it? do they take credit cards?

Anything else you think might be helpful would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Taxis were readily available in July, and took credit cards. I can't tell you the exact rate, but nothing excessive.

Unfortunately cabs are rather expensive in The Netherlands, that is why most dutch take public transport. Cabs cannot be stopped in the streets, they have fixed points of departure or have to be ordered by phone.

For ride within a city it will be o.k. (minimum is E. 10,- but for a real short ride!,) most likely you will pay more of course. Yes most of the cabs take creditcard.

If you stay in a hotel, the staff can indicate how much your ride will cost.

Edited by Ine

As Ine says, you are much better of with the use of trams and perhaps metro for your inner city transport. Amsterdam is very compact, don't waste your money on expensive taxi's unless necessary due to absence of public transport (i.e. Amsterdam to IJmuiden cruise terminal).

What do you plan to see and do?

• 2 weeks later...

I too have to agree with Ine and FreestyleNovice. As others have said, you don't flag cabs on the street like you do in some locations. With that said, there are some locations that seem to have cab stands. Ie, the train station, since we had taken the train from Rotterdam, back to Amsterdam and cabs were readily available when you waited in the line there. With that said, they are going to be more expensive than many of us are use to but I don't recall the rates off the top of my head. Also, hotels are happy to call a cab for you, but again, you won't just be flagging them in the city when you decide to go somewhere, BUT they have an excellent tram system and we ended up getting all day passes for those and were easy to use. Also, the city is quite walkable for the most part but I know that isn't for everyone. But we loved it and found it so charming. And yes, the cabs do take credit cards. Enjoy your time in Amsterdam. It's a great city.

As Ine says, you are much better of with the use of trams and perhaps metro for your inner city transport. Amsterdam is very compact, don't waste your money on expensive taxi's unless necessary due to absence of public transport (i.e. Amsterdam to IJmuiden cruise terminal).

What do you plan to see and do?

Given the comments I have gotten to my post, my wife and I will likely only use a cab to get from our hotel to the pick up location for the HAL transfer to Ijmuiden. This is because of the anticipated difficulty in schlepping our bags on the tram (and we are not 30 y/o anymore! :)).

I imagine cabs are big enough to carry 2-3 large suitcases.

Given the comments I have gotten to my post, my wife and I will likely only use a cab to get from our hotel to the pick up location for the HAL transfer to Ijmuiden. This is because of the anticipated difficulty in schlepping our bags on the tram (and we are not 30 y/o anymore! :)).

I imagine cabs are big enough to carry 2-3 large suitcases.

Yup, mostly Mercedes Benz E class cars, some vans and some smaller cars.

Could someone please tell me the approximate Taxi fare from the rivercruise dock to the Estherea Hotel? Also the fare from the Estherea to The airport?

Several of us can possibly walk from the dock to the hotel. But a couple of elderly ladies in our group would not be able to do that.

Thank you in advance for your help. CC members are the greatest when it comes to helping others out!

Could someone please tell me the approximate Taxi fare from the rivercruise dock to the Estherea Hotel? Also the fare from the Estherea to The airport?

Several of us can possibly walk from the dock to the hotel. But a couple of elderly ladies in our group would not be able to do that.

Thank you in advance for your help. CC members are the greatest when it comes to helping others out!

From the dock to Estherea might cost around E. 15.- depending traffic. From your hotel to the airport will be around E. 40,-