Formal portraits?

bangzoom6877

Are there still people who dress formally and take portraits on NCL? We are going on the Breakaway in July, with the whole family, and we have always taken formal portraits on cruises. Our last NCL cruise was on the Jewel in 2011, and some people dressed up, some didn't. We dressed our boys in tuxes and they looked great and loved it. We had some beautiful portraits taken. Do they still do this? How many nights on a 7-night cruise?

Also, by any chance is there some sort of photo package where you get all the photos they take of you for one price? My parents and sister did this on Royal Caribbean last summer, and I'm wondering if NCL has something similar that we can purchase.

From what I've read on this board, some people still dress to the 9's so you won't stand out too much. I think a majority of people dress more casually though. There is one specific night on a 7 day sailing with the option of dressing up.

I don't know for certain, but I would assume NCL does the formal backdrops and things for photos as it brings in more money for them. This will be our first NCL cruise too, so hopefully, someone who knows for sure will chime in.

There is one specific night on a 7 day sailing with the option of dressing up.

You have the option of dressing up every night if you want.

The Specific night that you are probably referring to is "Norwegian Night Out", but this isn't really about dressing up as such.

Photographers are around on that night to take photos, but they are available just about any time. If people go to the photography centre then they should be able to arrange formal photos any time.

Anyone know if there is a picture package like I had asked in my original post?

This is from the freestyle dailies for the Epic last year. I have no idea whether it is typical:

Take more photos home.

Ask any of our friendly photographers about our two print packages so you can take more vacation pictures home with you.

Buy any 10 photos for only $129.99

Buy any 20 photos for only $199.99

Get the digital files of your package for an additional $19.95 only.

On every night on every NCL cruise, there will be 3-4 different locations (usually around the atrium on board) with different backdrops, where you can have your family photo taken - some of the backdrops are formal and some of them more casual, so you just choose the one you prefer. Or just make a round and do them all - and on the last night of the cruise you choose which you want to keep. ;)

Edited by TrumpyNor

They have new photo packages that you can prepurchase through Gifts and More.

The largest package is 35 photos for $249.

30 Photo Package

Any 30 Photos - Book online and receive 5 bonus prints. Choose from any 6x8 or 8x10 event. Photo Packages are per cabin and non-refundable. Offer may not be combined with any other promotion or offer and is not transferrable between ships or cruises. Photo Packages cannot be redeemed for Weddings, Special Events or at the Perspectives Photography Studio.

Price: $249.00

20 Photo Package

Any 20 Photos - Book online and receive 3 bonus prints. Choose from any 6x8 or 8x10 event. Photo Packages are per cabin and non-refundable. Offer may not be combined with any other promotion or offer and is not transferrable between ships or cruises. Photo Packages cannot be redeemed for Weddings, Special Events or at the Perspectives Photography Studio.

Price: $199.00

10 Photo Package

Any 10 Photos - Book online and receive 1 bonus print. Choose from any 6x8 or 8x10 event. Photo Packages are per cabin and non-refundable. Offer may not be combined with any other promotion or offer and is not transferrable between ships or cruises. Photo Packages cannot be redeemed for Weddings, Special Events or at the Perspectives Photography Studio.

Price: $129.00

Edited by ncklhaus

It's time to point out you don't have to be dressed up to have photos taken. The photographers don't care.

Yes, it's very good to point this out, especially for people reading this thread who prefer not to dress formally on their vacation. I've seen many casually dressed people taking portraits and they come out beautiful!

They have new photo packages that you can prepurchase through Gifts and More.

The largest package is 35 photos for $249.

30 Photo Package

Any 30 Photos - Book online and receive 5 bonus prints. Choose from any 6x8 or 8x10 event. Photo Packages are per cabin and non-refundable. Offer may not be combined with any other promotion or offer and is not transferrable between ships or cruises. Photo Packages cannot be redeemed for Weddings, Special Events or at the Perspectives Photography Studio.

Price: $249.00

20 Photo Package

Any 20 Photos - Book online and receive 3 bonus prints. Choose from any 6x8 or 8x10 event. Photo Packages are per cabin and non-refundable. Offer may not be combined with any other promotion or offer and is not transferrable between ships or cruises. Photo Packages cannot be redeemed for Weddings, Special Events or at the Perspectives Photography Studio.

Price: $199.00

10 Photo Package

Any 10 Photos - Book online and receive 1 bonus print. Choose from any 6x8 or 8x10 event. Photo Packages are per cabin and non-refundable. Offer may not be combined with any other promotion or offer and is not transferrable between ships or cruises. Photo Packages cannot be redeemed for Weddings, Special Events or at the Perspectives Photography Studio.

Price: $129.00

Thank you so much for this info! I will look on the website.

What do photos normally cost each? Anyone have price info?

Yes, there are many people who dress up really fancy for their portraits. On the Jewel last summer I saw many, many folks dressed up fancy and one of the places they had staged for taking pictures was on the beautiful staircase in the Atrium. I think that would be beautiful for a family picture!

Also, on the Jewel there was also an actual photo studio where you could get pictures done. I don't know anything about that, though. They did have a lot of sample pictures from the studio hanging in the photo gallery area. They looked wonderful. That may be another option for your family.

Also, on the Jewel there was also an actual photo studio where you could get pictures done. I don't know anything about that, though. They did have a lot of sample pictures from the studio hanging in the photo gallery area. They looked wonderful. That may be another option for your family.

Yes, I believe it is called the Perspectives Studio. We noticed on the Getaway that they advertised you could schedule a private sitting with the photog at the studio or I believe even off the ship for beach photos, etc. I don't believe there was any charge for the sitting, just for the photos you purchased. Not sure how the picture prices would compare to those taken elsewhere on the ship. Also note disclaimer on the "packages" that price does not apply to Perspectives Studio.

Yes, I believe it is called the Perspectives Studio. We noticed on the Getaway that they advertised you could schedule a private sitting with the photog at the studio or I believe even off the ship for beach photos, etc. I don't believe there was any charge for the sitting, just for the photos you purchased. Not sure how the picture prices would compare to those taken elsewhere on the ship. Also note disclaimer on the "packages" that price does not apply to Perspectives Studio.

We used the Perspectives Studio on the Sun in November. The photo shoot itself is free- and they take you all over the ship, or even onshore on the beach if you want to do it during a port day. We did ours around sunset (right before dinner) and the pictures outside on deck were really beautiful. The whole thing took about 1/2-1 hour- we did outside shots, some inside by the big ships wheel in the Spinnaker lounge, and then some in the studio itself. Tons of shots. But, as you can imagine, the shots are NOT cheap. I think we spent about $700- but we got 5 large canvas printed things (some were maybe 14X20?), and the full jump drive with all the shots on it. This was not the cheapest package- that started around $250. They also did things like photoshopping out the kids club bracelets and such- if that's important to you. They send you all the canvas portraits at home (price of shipping is included), so you don't have to worry about transporting anything. I would recommend it.

Edited by rjm11

On our Jewel cruise in January we had a package that included 20 photos of our choice ($199 if purchased separately). On previous cruises we had only purchased a few photos, but this time, we had photos taken at every opportunity -- at embarkation, on the ship, at the ports, in the restaurants, etc. We didn't dress formally but we had "nice" clothes and some casual clothes. We stopped at all the backdrops in the atrium before dinner just about every night. We had our picture taken with the captain on that night. It was fun choosing our 20 photos from the whole batch and we have a lot of nice ones suitable for framing. We also bought the USB drive ($20) with the photos we selected so we can print our own copies.

Edited by hawk1972

Read the freestyle and you will see the times for portraits. Our cruise on the dawn we just did had at least two photographers setup doing group or individual shots. There is different backdrops and places they do this nightly so check the freestyle for info.

We were on the Jewel in December for a destination wedding and never saw the disclaimer you mentioned. While at the photo gallery the wife set up a photo shoot ... thought we would get the 20 for $200 package. Well turned out the shoot was the Perspective Studio personnel. After the shoot they had us review the photos with background music and it was impressive until they mentioned their package prices. At first they wanted $900 for their shots ... we told them that we were sorry for wasting their time ... then also asked the price for a single shot and they said $350 ... we said thank you and left without looking back. Our mistake in not making sure which package we were wanting to get

What is the price per photo for each size?

Also, silly question...I notice the prices of the packages are per cabin. Could my parents book the package where you get 35 photos, but our 3 families decide to split the cost of the package (my sister and I would give the money to my parents since it is charged to one reservation), and each select a certain number of photos to bring home? Or do my parents themselves have to be in the actual photos they decide to get as part of the package since they're the only people on their reservation? I know, dumb question but we are all trying to figure out how to do this.

What is the price per photo for each size?

Also, silly question...I notice the prices of the packages are per cabin. Could my parents book the package where you get 35 photos, but our 3 families decide to split the cost of the package (my sister and I would give the money to my parents since it is charged to one reservation), and each select a certain number of photos to bring home? Or do my parents themselves have to be in the actual photos they decide to get as part of the package since they're the only people on their reservation? I know, dumb question but we are all trying to figure out how to do this.

On the Dawn last September, we brought some friends along with us, and they were in a different cabin.

At the end, when it came time to select photos, we just combined a bunch of them that we liked.

In fact, there were several photos that included all of us, as well as photos that were of just "us" and just "them".

We then paid the small extra to get the flash drive.

We downloaded the photos onto our laptop, and then just gave the drive to them so they'd have a copy of everything.

As an aside, we were all quite surprised at how good many of the photos turned out.

I usually *hate* how I look in photos (often with the crazed "red eye" look), but we all agreed that the photographer really did quite a good job.

Not only were the quite a few photos where we each felt we looked "okay" (or even "good"!), but there were group shots where we ALL thought ALL of us looked good, even the toddler, who was squirming most of the time for the formal poses.

What was nice is that there is no charge unless you decide to purchase photos.

(This was probably wise on their part. I suspect that we aren't alone that if we had to prepay anything at all, we'd have just skipped the photos... and that would have been a shame.)

If any of the photos have smudges (they've been handled, after all), just ask them to get you fresh prints.

GeezerCouple

On the Dawn last September, we brought some friends along with us, and they were in a different cabin.

At the end, when it came time to select photos, we just combined a bunch of them that we liked.

In fact, there were several photos that included all of us, as well as photos that were of just "us" and just "them".

We then paid the small extra to get the flash drive.

We downloaded the photos onto our laptop, and then just gave the drive to them so they'd have a copy of everything.

As an aside, we were all quite surprised at how good many of the photos turned out.

I usually *hate* how I look in photos (often with the crazed "red eye" look), but we all agreed that the photographer really did quite a good job.

Not only were the quite a few photos where we each felt we looked "okay" (or even "good"!), but there were group shots where we ALL thought ALL of us looked good, even the toddler, who was squirming most of the time for the formal poses.

What was nice is that there is no charge unless you decide to purchase photos.

(This was probably wise on their part. I suspect that we aren't alone that if we had to prepay anything at all, we'd have just skipped the photos... and that would have been a shame.)

If any of the photos have smudges (they've been handled, after all), just ask them to get you fresh prints.

GeezerCouple

Thank you! I have always loved the quality of the photos on the cruises we've taken. I never had a problem with photos.

Did you just pay at the end for the photos or did you purchase the photo package where you get a certain number of photos for a set price? If you paid per photo, how much did each photo cost individually, if you don't mind me asking?

I also plan to spend the extra for the flash drive. I think that's well worth it!