Mobility scooters

tommui987

General question about mobility scooters. Are they heavy? Can they handle cobblestones, rocky walkways, inclines, downhills?

I have mobility issues - age also a factor (81-years) - I can walk with a walker or cane for short distances (maybe 50 yards). Do use it to get around a mid-size cruise ship.

Rely on wheelchair to get to and from planes and ship. Probably would use the scooter only off the ship.

Thanks much!

General question about mobility scooters. Are they heavy? Can they handle cobblestones, rocky walkways, inclines, downhills?

I have mobility issues - age also a factor (81-years) - I can walk with a walker or cane for short distances (maybe 50 yards). Do use it to get around a mid-size cruise ship.

Rely on wheelchair to get to and from planes and ship. Probably would use the scooter only off the ship.

Thanks much!

I bought a Travelscoot a year ago and have taken it on a cruise and on a couple of flights. It only weighs about 35 pounds and I can drive it right up to the door of the plane and they carry it down to the hold. When I get off the plane I get it back right outside the door of the plane and can use to it go into the airport. I can manage with my wheeled carry-on in my left hand and steering with my right hand. It works very well on hard flooring but a little slower on carpets.

I also brought in on a cruise last year and got around the ship with it. It has a reverse so I can back out of elevators with no problem.

I brought it with me to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico this past winter and on cobblestones it is a bumpy ride. Not supposed to use it with sand or pebbles etc. because of the motor so it's best on hard ground.

I find it pretty good on inclines and the brakes work well on hills. It does fold down with a little work so it's quite portable as well. Check it out on the Travelscoot web site. They ship all over the country. I would not leave home without it!!

Wendy

Thanks much!

No easy answer to your question everything is dependent on the scooter model.

Are they heavy ?

• Portable scooters can vary in weight from about 47lbs. for the Travelscoot on up to approx. 125 lbs. depending on the brand/model.
  • Standard and or Heavy Duty scooters can range from approx. 175 lbs. to over 350+ lbs.

Can they handle cobblestones , rocky walkways?

• Again all depends on the model, the wheel size and scooter's under carriage clearance.
  • The ride will be very rough since most mobility scooters to not have front and or rear wheel suspension features.
  • It also needs to be noted that riding over cobblestones and rocky walkways could possibly damage the scooter.

Can they handle inclines and downhill ?

• Whether a mobility scooter can handle an upward incline is totally dependent on the angle degree of the incline versus the incline degree the scooter is rated to handle.
  • Downhill inclines are generally not an issue regarding most scooter models.

The Travelscoot weighs 30 lbs. without the battery, and only 24 if the seat back is removed.

A lead SLA battery weighs 20 lbs or you can use a lithium ion battery which weighs 5.3 lbs.

So, depending on how it is configured, a Travelscoot could be as light as 30 pounds even with the battery!

I love mine.

Marlee

A lead SLA battery weighs 20 lbs or you can use a lithium ion battery which weighs 5.3 lbs.

Marlee

I assume you use the lighter battery?

What advantages/disadvantages have you experienced in using whatever battery you have chosen>

What miles can one expect?

Thanks,

Tom

I have an older travelscoot with the lithium battery. I have invested (and being pricey it is an investment) in two of the batteries. On relatively flat ground I can get about 8 miles on one battery. Of course if it runs out we turn back and head home after plugging up the second battery unless I can access a power plug. I had polio as a child and could not manage travel without my scoot. It is fair to say that no scooter is perfect for any one individual. An evaluation by a physical therapist can be a real $ saver as they can figure out the type of scooter most likely to be most effective for each individual. I love my scoot for increasing my mobility and because it is so light weight.

Edited by katisdale

I assume you use the lighter battery?

What advantages/disadvantages have you experienced in using whatever battery you have chosen>

What miles can one expect?

Thanks,

Tom

I do indeed use the lighter battery and, like Katisdale, have an older Travelscoot. I purchased iit 2009.

My lithium battery purchased at the same time is still going strong!

I cannot speak to either any disadvantages or expected mileage, as I've never experienced a problem nor have I ever run out of "juice".

In terms of advantages, I like the fact that on a plane, I remove the battery and carry it on in the insulated Travelscoot travel bag. It fits perfectly under the seat in front of me and I am secure that my precious and pricey little power source is safe and sound.

Marlee

• 2 weeks later...

I would never cruise without using my scooter on board. Just too far to walk and I worry about how much work pushing me would be for my husband. My own scooter which needs replacing is tzora, sold as easy lite deluxe. 50 lb and folds to fit in a car trunk.

Any size scooter can go in a van, minivan or SUV plus many fit in a trunk. You can buy an electric crane to lift the scooter, or electric platform. Both lift then swing scooter into car.

I am impressed with the new pride go go that has actual suspension. But my neck is worsening an I need headrest, so may need to consider larger ones. Pride victory 9 is being released again, starting in a month. May try that.

Check our the one with suspension, since the problem with cobblestones is not getting over them but the awful bumpy ride which is uncomfortable. Most small travel scooters cannot function off pavement.

http://www.pridemobility.com/gogo/gogolxcts.asp

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my mom a GoGo Elite Traveller for our most recent TA Eclipse cruise. I rented her one a few months ago for a cruise out of Florida which really made a huge difference to her prompting the purchase. i considered renting one for the TA but the cost to purchase a scooter was only about 1.5X of that to rent so it seemed to make sense.

The scooter fit perfectly through the door of a regular balcony cabin. The configuration of the cabin was perfect in that the bed was against the window. I did not consider that and certainly will do so in the future.

My mom used it everyday both on and off the ship and we had no issues with "Rosy" holding her charge.

By the way, my mom lives in Vancouver and the cost of the scooter in the UK was about 1/2 of what it would have cost in Canada. I have no idea why. There is no issue with charging the battery in Canada, a simple adaptor is all that is required.