Noro on Summit?

irishayes

Maybe we will get some feedback from someone on the ship now... hopefully by the time we get on it will be gone..

The ship will be very clean since they always do a deep cleaning after an outbreak. However, if a pax brings it on, which is usually the case, there may be a situation again. Best thing you can do is wash, wash, wash your hands with soap and water.

The SHIP never has Noro..it's the passengers or staff...PEOPLE have noro...and this time of year, you can pretty much bet that 75% of the population has been exposed to it...

Do NOT touch your face...eyes, nose and mouth are the entry points. If you have to touch your face, sanitize/wash your hands first!

Washing thoroughly with soap and water is still the number 1 method of preventing spread per the Center for Disease Control. Also per the CDC, the over the counter alcohol based Purell does not kill norovirus. Rather they recommend using products that claim to kill other non-enveloped viruses (like the difficult to kill norovirus). Four such hand sanitizers are:Clorox Hand Sanitizing Spray, Zylast, GFS BioProtect, and GermStar Noro. Also, there is a version of Purell (used in hospitals) that will kill norovirus. It is marked as such in the text on the bottle. I have several from when my son was hospitalized and it indeed different. I suspect this is what is in the stationed sanitizers on the ship. (This is info gathered from the CDC website and a few other websites, all of which agree in terms of the content).

I also travel with a tiny pocket size Lysol spray and upon embarkation spray the walls, shower stall, and bedding with it.

Also, there is a version of Purell (used in hospitals) that will kill norovirus. It is marked as such in the text on the bottle. I have several from when my son was hospitalized and it indeed different. I suspect this is what is in the stationed sanitizers on the ship. (This is info gathered from the CDC website and a few other websites, all of which agree in terms of the content).

I understand the Purell used on cruise ships is a version specially formulated for cruise ships, different from what is sold at retail. Probably the same or similar to the hospital version you have. I do notice the odor of alcohol in the ship version is quite pronounced. I'm on Reflection right now and Summit is docked right across from us. On this trip they seem to have people at the entrance to OV all the time, which is more than I recall from previous trips.

Edited by jan-n-john

I understand the Purell used on cruise ships is a version specially formulated for cruise ships, different from what is sold at retail. Probably the same or similar to the hospital version you have. I do notice the odor of alcohol in the ship version is quite pronounced. I'm on Reflection right now and Summit is docked right across from us. On this trip they seem to have people at the entrance to OV all the time, which is more than I recall from previous trips.

I'd been following yesterday's first-time, four ships in the Celebrity fleet in St Maarten at the same time (and all in a row!) with Demi Lovato concert at the end of the day. Other than Lisa's and Celebrity's Tweets and FB posts, haven't seen a thing from passengers...jan-n-jon c'mon (forget the hand sanitizer debate)...dish!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I was on the Dec 10th sailing and at the end of the week they were on more of a watch for Noro and gave out a questionnaire on the last day asking if anyone in the cabin had gastrointestinal issues. I did notice the last two days when going back to my cabin at 3:30/4 am that they were spraying down the stairways and common areas. I did talk to someone who's daughter was quarantined due to issues.

I've read on other threads that the next sailing had a bigger issue with this. Hopefully they've done a deep cleaning and have the issue resolved before your cruise.

I must have read the same article that Fish Lover used and it is very informative. So, it is hopeful. Since most of them are heavily alcohol-based, they do cause a lot of stinging if you have cracked hands. GFS BioProtect can be bought online and is a non-stinging foaming cleanser that also offers protection of 6 hours. I have terribly cracked and dry skin so this is the most appealing. I have not tried it but will buy before our next cruise. It costs around $5/1.7 oz. spray bottle or $10/7 oz. bottle. The others listed by Fish Lover are all effective and can be bought on Amazon.

I just remembered that there were these hand washing machines in the Lido restaurant that were neat but took a minute or so to walk and dry. They were sometimes not working and I loved the knuckleheads would throw paper towels or other garbage in them.

I just remembered that there were these hand washing machines in the Lido restaurant that were neat but took a minute or so to walk and dry. They were sometimes not working and I loved the knuckleheads would throw paper towels or other garbage in them.

They don't have that on the Summit. Bathrooms close by to wash your hands and just Purell dispensers and staff w/ Purell upon entering.

So maybe I missed it but was there truly a outbreak of noro virus on Summit or were just a few people sick from flu or food? Not sure what Im reading is truly noro virus and ships crew taking precautionary measures by cleaning..ive hard comments such as wading through vomit and so on which sickens me..

Again was anybody actually on Summit?

So maybe I missed it but was there truly a outbreak of noro virus on Summit or were just a few people sick from flu or food? Not sure what Im reading is truly noro virus and ships crew taking precautionary measures by cleaning..ive hard comments such as wading through vomit and so on which sickens me..

Again was anybody actually on Summit?

I was on the Summit on the Dec 10th cruise when the issues started to come up. They never said it was Noro but I've never been given a questionnaire at the end or even during a cruise asking if anyone in the cabin had gastrointestinal issues. I know they were taking much more precautions at the end of the cruise and heard of a few passengers being quarantined. I think it was the next cruise that was hit harder by it. But I don't think they ever said officially it was Noro, maybe they don't have to disclose that until a certain percentage of passengers have it.

I was on the Summit on the Dec 10th cruise when the issues started to come up. They never said it was Noro but I've never been given a questionnaire at the end or even during a cruise asking if anyone in the cabin had gastrointestinal issues. I know they were taking much more precautions at the end of the cruise and heard of a few passengers being quarantined. I think it was the next cruise that was hit harder by it. But I don't think they ever said officially it was Noro, maybe they don't have to disclose that until a certain percentage of passengers have it.

My husband and I got it--our symptoms began when we disembarked on Dec. 17th. And yes, it was definitely noro! If you've ever had it, you'll know. :-(

The SHIP never has Noro..it's the passengers or staff...PEOPLE have noro...and this time of year, you can pretty much bet that 75% of the population has been exposed to it...

Do NOT touch your face...eyes, nose and mouth are the entry points. If you have to touch your face, sanitize/wash your hands first!

Yep.

The buck stops with us! Don't touch your face with your hands, and it doesn't matter WHAT your hands have on them.

They do not say it is noro because they do not know if it is or not. Only lab tests that are performed on land can tell if it is really noro.

That is why the cruise limes just refer to it as gastrointestinal issues.

When a certain number of passengers/crew have gastrointestinal issues is when it must be reported to the CDC.

My friends were on the December 17-24 sailing and yes, noro-level 4. Strict precautions were in place. Pool shut down and cleaned after people got sick while in there, also waiters had to serve everything including sugar packets, butter, salt and pepper, etc...

Sent from my iPad using Forums