adding days to promotional SDP

GUEST080219

I got I think 4 days of SDP from the freestyle choice promotion. When I want to add another 14 days to it, do I have to pay the price for a 14 day SDP or the difference between the 18 days SDP and 4 day SDP when buying it on board?

If it is the price of the 14 day SDP I might just purchase it before the cruise, has anyone done that and was it correctly added up in your account on board?

I got I think 4 days of SDP from the freestyle choice promotion. When I want to add another 14 days to it, do I have to pay the price for a 14 day SDP or the difference between the 18 days SDP and 4 day SDP when buying it on board?

If it is the price of the 14 day SDP I might just purchase it before the cruise, has anyone done that and was it correctly added up in your account on board?

I don't really understand your question since I don't know how you would do 18-4 SDP, but just be able to add days. But how many days is your cruise?

Edited by NMLady

This question has come up several times before, and as far as I know, no one has ever come back to say that they were able to add meals to their promotional SDP, either before the cruise or on board. I don't know how hard anyone has really tried, though.

Assuming that 18 meals costs at most $239, you would save at least $44 (+18%) doing it this way. Which is why it makes sense that they don't allow it (just like they don't allow you to upgrade from a promotional soda package to an adult beverage package, or from 250 minutes free internet to unlimited). But it's worth another call to NCL to find out for sure, right?

I assume this is for your 21 day cruise in October. You can purchase any number of additional days you want as long as it is at least a minimum of three days and the total number does not exceed the length of the cruise. If you want a total of 18 meals, you would just purchase the 14 day package. If done precruise, you do get a bit of a discount on the onboard price.

Yes, you can buy another package. But the OP is hoping to pay less. Basically, instead of the promotional 4-meal SDP offered as a booking perk, he wants an $84 credit toward the purchase a larger SDP. But I think the following two statements in the promo terms are relevant here:

• "Guest cannot substitute or customize this offer."
  • "No components included in this offer have any monetary value".

My first cruise is in two weeks on the Breakaway, and through MyNCL I booked a 4 day SDP on top of my promotional 3 day SDP, and I was able to book the rest of my dinners at the appropriate prices. Instead of a la carte it would say included for example, or $15 instead of $45 for a dinner show.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yes, you can buy another package. But the OP is hoping to pay less. Basically, instead of the promotional 4-meal SDP offered as a booking perk, he wants an $84 credit toward the purchase a larger SDP. But I think the following two statements in the promo terms are relevant here:

• "Guest cannot substitute or customize this offer."
  • "No components included in this offer have any monetary value".

What the OP is asking makes no sense to me. The promo is for 4 meals, OP pays the 18%. If additional meals are wanted, someone would need to buy the additional meals at the corresponding package price plus the 18%. As you noted, the fine print on the promos always states that no monetary value is placed on the promo, and therefore no credit could be given.

If the he has 4 meals from the promo, and he wants a total of 18, then he will have to buy an additional 14 nights.

I think you will have to purchase the 14 days versus the different between what you received and the total 18 days, but I could be incorrect. When you purchase the addition days, could you please come back and let us know which way it was done.

If you already have the promo 4SDP then just purchase the 14 day package. You get it at a good price anyway when you look at the regular cost of 4SDP it's $69 equaling $23/meal whereas the 14SDP @$199 is only $14.22 and the added grats of 18% its only $16.77

This info is from US website so may differ from the UK/EU sites.

18% gratuity and specialty service charge will be added at time of purchase.

Save by purchasing in advance. Above prices reflect a Special Online Pre-Purchase Price of $10 USD off the original price.

If you already have the promo 4SDP then just purchase the 14 day package. You get it at a good price anyway when you look at the regular cost of 4SDP it's $69 equaling $23/meal whereas the 14SDP @$199 is only $14.22 and the added grats of 18% its only $16.77
The 4-meal package costs $84 ($21/meal). The 14-meal package costs $199 ($14.21 per meal), as you said. But if they were to let the OP purchase an 18-meal SDP for $239, minus the cost of their promo 4-meal SDP, then would only have to pay $11.07 per meal, which would be an even better deal (again, if it were possible).

So it's obvious why someone would want to do that instead of simply purchasing an additional package. It makes perfect sense, it's just not allowed (as far as I know).

If there is another promo that has value to you, taking that other promo and purchasing the larger SDP package may be more cost effective as the per meal costs go down significantly as the number goes up. This was the case for my 10 meal plan so I'm sure it could work for your 18 meal plan, depending on what promo choices and how much interest you have in them. I purchased the 10 meal plan and took internet as the promo as it was something I would have purchased otherwise.

The 4-meal package costs $84 ($21/meal). The 14-meal package costs $199 ($14.21 per meal), as you said. But if they were to let the OP purchase an 18-meal SDP for $239, minus the cost of their promo 4-meal SDP, then would only have to pay $11.07 per meal, which would be an even better deal (again, if it were possible).

So it's obvious why someone would want to do that instead of simply purchasing an additional package. It makes perfect sense, it's just not allowed (as far as I know).

Duh, my bad sorry, but you're right that it's not allowed AFAIK either so it's really a moot point. The 14day may be an additional $3+ per meal but it's still discounted.

However, I'd probably still ask... can't hurt can it?

My first cruise is in two weeks on the Breakaway, and through MyNCL I booked a 4 day SDP on top of my promotional 3 day SDP, and I was able to book the rest of my dinners at the appropriate prices. Instead of a la carte it would say included for example, or $15 instead of $45 for a dinner show.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Perfect. That gives me hope that it will be transferred correctly to the account on board as well.

I once tried to change my pre booked soda package for the second cruise of a b2b on board to the UBP. That was nearly impossible and in the end they need three people at guest services to stop the computer from printing me a UDP - SODA - UBP card which confused the heck out of the bar staff as it is an impossible combination to have.

If there is another promo that has value to you, taking that other promo and purchasing the larger SDP package may be more cost effective as the per meal costs go down significantly as the number goes up. This was the case for my 10 meal plan so I'm sure it could work for your 18 meal plan, depending on what promo choices and how much interest you have in them. I purchased the 10 meal plan and took internet as the promo as it was something I would have purchased otherwise.

I would have never chosen the SDP but it was one of the 4 parts of the suite freestyle choice promo.

So I am not complaining, was just interested if someone already had some experience with that.

I think you will have to purchase the 14 days versus the different between what you received and the total 18 days, but I could be incorrect. When you purchase the addition days, could you please come back and let us know which way it was done.

I will probably just buy the additional days before and get the discount. As from all the responses I guess the chance that they recalculate the total price for 18 days is pretty much zero.

I booked the 14 mail SDP online on top of the promotional one. Let them make 19 reservations and now the dining confirmation pdf shows the first 14 with a price of zero and the remaining ones as a la carte :rolleyes:

Looks like they don't automatically add them up for a total of 18 meals SDP