Am I suited for a Cunard Cruise?

travelplus

Thanks so much for this reference! Our cable TV was on the fritz this evening, so we watched this. It was really very well done and very interesting. Tons of insights into the great ocean liners. I was amazed that over a quarter of a million people came to see the christening of the Queen Mary. That really impressed upon me how important the great ships were to people and their country. Very sad to see the footage of the Normandie on fire and toppled over, due to a careless accident during its WWII refitting from liner to troop ship in NYC.

You're welcome. It's my favourite documentary series.

PARTIAL QUOTE

Travelplus ,are you asking about the Gentleman Dance Host Program? Was that not covered I your Commodore Training Program? No worries - expert advice is sure to follow...

No they did not cover the Gentlemen's Dance Host Program as part of my training.

I'm asking for your advice in addition to my training since you all have experience with Cunard that adds to the training I had.

I'm assuming you watch Mr Selfridge, Downton Abbey, and other UK period piece dramas? (The Scarlet Pimpernel, 1999, was exceptionally good)

If you haven't already, I highly recommend watching David Suchet's documentary on The Orient Express, and the recent The Savoy and Claridges documentaries. Each one is brilliantly made.

Also, 'The Liners: Ships of Destiny' is a must see documentary for ocean liner enthusiasts. It was made in 1997 by an Australian company. You can find all four episodes on YouTube (in full). A younger Bill Miller stars in each episode alongside other great historians like John Maxtone Graham. I was lucky to meet Mr Miller on my first QM2 voyage.

I love Downton Abbey(:

Now the waiting begins for the call to see which Cruise they have space on after putting in the request. I know I will be happy for whatever cruise I get to go on and note that if I don't get the Trans Atlantic this time I will of course go for it down the road.

To the naysayers you have not hurt my feelings one bit.

Now lets hope the reservation does not get stuck in the Central Reservation of the M-25. I just hope the agent calls asks for who is going and payment and then Bob's your Uncle.

Now the waiting begins for the call to see which Cruise they have space on after putting in the request. I know I will be happy for whatever cruise I get to go on and note that if I don't get the Trans Atlantic this time I will of course go for it down the road.

To the naysayers you have not hurt my feelings one bit.

Now lets hope the reservation does not get stuck in the Central Reservation of the M-25. I just hope the agent calls asks for who is going and payment and then Bob's your Uncle.

You wrote in post #12 "I selected the Med 14 night November 7th Cruise First Followed by the 12 night New England, 7 night Med Cruise and the two Trans Atlantics." Transatlantic Crossings was your last choice, but as luck have it there is usually a cabin or two left just prior to sailing date, so my guess is that your chances are good for winning that lottery.

Regarding your interest in being a Gentlemen Dance Host: I have no personal insight, but I did find this "...Cruise lines invite anywhere from two to six men aboard to dance, interact and share the activities aboard the ship. Dance Hosts should be a mature gentlemen and act as a goodwill ambassadors for the cruise line. They should be in good health, have competent dance ability, have excellent social skills, a positive attitude and be charming conversationalists. Good manners are required and hosts must adhere to very strict moral standards... Many hosts that currently sail aboard cruise ships have backgrounds as professionals in the areas of law, business, travel, finance, medicine, military and education. Dance hosts are required to be single, divorced or widowed. Many hosts are retired or semi-retired and they have the opportunity to sail on several cruises a year. Dance Hosts must be capable of doing all the Ballroom and Latin Dances - Foxtrot, Swing, Waltz, Rumba, and Cha-Cha. Being able to dance other type of dances is a plus - Tango, Samba, Quick Step, Merengue, Salsa, Two-Step, Polka, Viennese Waltz, etc.

It is very important to know that this is not a paid position aboard a cruise ship. Gentlemen Dance Hosts exchange their services for free cruises, room and board..."quoted from http://www.cruiseshipjob.com/dancehost.htm

Cheers,

Salacia

OP- you are the role model for cunard! Believe me! You will love every minute of it- the cruise- I am sorry- the sail- experience ( nobody cruises on board QM 2 - big no no no) is very british!

As you- I can sit for hours read my book ( kindle nowadays ) and order one cup of the tea after the other!

As for the 30 year old gentlemen hosts that some other poster mentioned- of course that will never happen since Cunard sure would not like the idea.

The Lady´s , well that´s another matter- They would be very happy indeed- to dance with a young guy- of that I am pretty sure!

Maybe Cunard should train them right in the teen club - just kidding of course!

I was ten when I went with my parents on the Franconia. I had been on other ships, (Holland America's Statendam, American Export Line's Independence), but from the start Cunard was different. I was taken seriously by the staff and never "talked down to" as I had been on other lines. I was always addressed as "master" or "sir." Forty-five years later I'm a loyal "Diamond" Cunarder who still enjoys the same level of respect and service. And the lectures, overall, are excellent.

I have been reading posts about Cunard and have read about how some people do not want to sail on Cunard due to their policies on formal dress etc.

I'm a 30 year old male who enjoys dressing up for Formal events, enjoys the finer things in life such as good food,wine and unique experiences.

I love attending lectures, socializing with people, dancing and seeing new ports of call.

I could spend hours just enjoying a good book and a cuppa tea. The British Culture has always appealed to me especially after doing genealogy research and found out that I'm related to Sir Moses Montefiore who was knighted by Queen Victoria.

Some of my relatives are friends with the Royal Family as well. I don't mean t brag but I'm proud of my background and just absolutely love the English Culture. What I'm trying to say is that I can relate to a Cunard Cruise with a more personal viewpoint due to my hours of genealogy research etc.

Being able to attend lectures of British Dignitaries would hit the spot.

I also enjoy reading the Daily Mail, watching Sky News,BBC 1, BBC 2 etc. In fact you can find me here in California most evenings watching the Sky News morning program online. I love the BBC Documentaries, listening to local London Radio Stations etc.

Whether its a Classical Music Concert, Opera, 40s or 50s music, Disco Oldies etc. I'm there. I love attending concerts and Broadway Shows as well.

I know there are people my age who would not even know what a Cunard Ship is let alone dress up formally.

I was wondering if I would be a good candidate for Cunard? I have cruised on Royal Caribbean on 3 Trans Atlantic Cruises and was sick and tired of the Bingo announcements and no turn down service etc.

I have stayed at 4 and 5 star hotels before but I am not pretentious. In fact I truly enjoy the finer things in life and love meeting people from other cultures.

Please give me your honest advice as to if I would be a good candidate for sailing Cunard.

Thanks in advance for your honest opinion if Cunard would fit my profile.

If I didn't know better,I'd say this was posted by Whitemarsh! That being said, I think you'll enjoy Cunard just fine. Another line to research would be Saga Cruises. A lot of Cunard magt. have moved over there due to the "Carnivalization" of Cunard. Still Cunard offers a lot. If you get a chance do try the Grills. Pricey, but the service was the best we received anywhere.

Just got word this morning that I was selected and booked the 14 night Athens-Rome Med Cruise for November 7th. Got an Interior 2 Twins as this is port intensive we're fine with an Interior on the 7th Deck Mid Ship.

Was able to get the early dining so all is well there.

Now its time to plan the flights and pre/post hotels. I was quite pleased to get my first choice of the cruise and my Father will be joining me since I could not stand to look at the room half empty:D

I plan to use Visa Points for the flights or at least to pay a good chunk of it and will see about Business Class on a European Carrier or Premium Economy if need be.

I posted on the Roll Call earlier this afternoon.

OP- you are the role model for cunard! Believe me! You will love every minute of it- the cruise- I am sorry- the sail- experience ( nobody cruises on board QM 2 - big no no no) is very british!

As you- I can sit for hours read my book ( kindle nowadays ) and order one cup of the tea after the other!

As for the 30 year old gentlemen hosts that some other poster mentioned- of course that will never happen since Cunard sure would not like the idea.

The Lady´s , well that´s another matter- They would be very happy indeed- to dance with a young guy- of that I am pretty sure!

Maybe Cunard should train them right in the teen club - just kidding of course!

Ville Dank for your reply German Cruiser. I was able to secure the 14 night Cruise. Now its time for looking up prices for the airfare pre/post hotels excursions etc.

Need to see about how to get all of this done this week.

If I didn't know better,I'd say this was posted by Whitemarsh! That being said, I think you'll enjoy Cunard just fine. Another line to research would be Saga Cruises. A lot of Cunard magt. have moved over there due to the "Carnivalization" of Cunard. Still Cunard offers a lot. If you get a chance do try the Grills. Pricey, but the service was the best we received anywhere.

Why does Carnival go and ruin such a good product by doing their"Carnivalization". They better stay far away:D

Just got word this morning that I was selected and booked the 14 night Athens-Rome Med Cruise for November 7th. Got an Interior 2 Twins as this is port intensive we're fine with an Interior on the 7th Deck Mid Ship.

Was able to get the early dining so all is well there.

Now its time to plan the flights and pre/post hotels. I was quite pleased to get my first choice of the cruise and my Father will be joining me since I could not stand to look at the room half empty:D

I plan to use Visa Points for the flights or at least to pay a good chunk of it and will see about Business Class on a European Carrier or Premium Economy if need be.

I posted on the Roll Call earlier this afternoon.

Congrats. Suggestion: check with your travel agent as there are inclusive offers for hotel stays and other bonus offers.

Edited by Salacia

i am in my 30 and i came back from my first cruise with qm2 from Southampton, i am not british but i did spend a fair amount of time in britain because i have a friend who lives there

i did several cruise, celebrity, royal caribean and norwegian and i think cunard does really feel very british in its atmosphere and design, yet despite the grand ocean era decor, it doens't project a snobbish image, the ship has a somewhat down to earth decor and environment

i did tons of research before taking the gamble of goeing on the qm2 and i really enjoyed the cruise

indeed the majority of passengers are older however, most of them are people who are well travelled and live their live to their fullest, being blessed with being a well travelled person myself, both for leasure and work. i found many kindred spirit to talk to

i also met with a good amount of people from my age, including a fellow ship buff like myself where we had an animated discussion about qm2, cunard and ship in general

i think i was a little too well prepare sometime, like right after my excursion in bruges, i went to my room, washed and dressed up formal and went to the commodore club for a rest before goeing to britania and i felt like overdressed, (it was before 17h30) i was like the only one already dressed up for the night

i think i was a little too well prepare sometime, like right after my excursion in bruges, i went to my room, washed and dressed up formal and went to the commodore club for a rest before goeing to britania and i felt like overdressed, (it was before 17h30) i was like the only one already dressed up for the night

Dress code for the night of 5 September 2014 leaving Zeebrugge was Informal: DP1_zpsd62c8bc0.jpg

I think you would enjoy Cunard a lot.

We did a TA on the Queen Victoria a year ago, we were not sure we would enjoy Cunard, love it. So much so we booked a Mediterranean cruise on the QV, 6 months later while on board.

We found the food, service, cabins and entertainment, including the music and dancing nightly wonderful.

We have been cruising for 30+ years, on 9 different lines, recently, Princess, HAL, Celebrity, Cunard and NCL. By far, Cunard met and exceeded our expectations. We are considering booking a QM2 cruise out of New York to Quebec City round trip in a year or so.

There were no incentives for this Grad Cruise however I love planning my own trips as that is half the fun piecing together the flights and customizing the hotels etc.

Hi travelplus. I hope you have a grand time and if you have the time, please keep us updated on your voyage. Best wishes, -S.

• 2 weeks later...