Leaving Cape Liberty: best side?

SeaWatch

My wife and I had the same view as in CaptDave's photographs two weeks ago from Cabin 1140. It was a great view no matter what course the ship steered. If the ship leaves the pier and goes to starboard toward the open seas then I would say the port or left side of ship gives the best view of the skyline. If the ship goes to port and makes a swing around the Statute of Liberty before leaving the harbor, then I would assume you are better off on the starboard (right) side of the ship.

On our voyage two weeks ago, Capt. Kate did not make the swing around the Statute due to wind and port traffic conditions but we still had a nice view of the skyline and the Statute of Liberty as we left the pier and turned to starboard. Happy Cruising! Bob and Linda

I have been on both sides. You see the same places going or coming. Best views are aft leaving and forward arriving. You will need a good zoom. If you are lucky, the ship may go up the river for better views of the statue. Being on the top deck will get you the best photos. I especially like taking photos coming into New York at dawn.

I have been on both sides. You see the same places going or coming. Best views are aft leaving and forward arriving. You will need a good zoom. If you are lucky, the ship may go up the river for better views of the statue. Being on the top deck will get you the best photos. I especially like taking photos coming into New York at dawn.
's's

That's what I'm waiting for as well. I have every intention of being up and armed for photography at the crack of dawn.

Hooray!!! finally did something right!! We're in aft cabin 8185....hope the weather is nice!!

Kitty - that's a great location! I've had a lot of aft-facing suites/cabins on a lot of different ships and the motion was so bad on some of them, especially Princess ships, that we gave up with the location. I was so pleasantly surprised at how well the Summit handled the wind and waves! It was incredibly smooth and boy, did we enjoy having the table & 4 chairs on the balcony, the 2 reclining chairs and the footstools. It made it so we could lay out in the sun in total peace and quiet. Just loved it and I hope you will too! ;)

Kitty - that's a great location! I've had a lot of aft-facing suites/cabins on a lot of different ships and the motion was so bad on some of them, especially Princess ships, that we gave up with the location. I was so pleasantly surprised at how well the Summit handled the wind and waves! It was incredibly smooth and boy, did we enjoy having the table & 4 chairs on the balcony, the 2 reclining chairs and the footstools. It made it so we could lay out in the sun in total peace and quiet. Just loved it and I hope you will too! ;)

I'm drooling on my laptop.....must stop!!! :D Our first aft cabin was on the Eclipse this past March. I loved the balcony and would watch the wake for hours on end....only down side was the location of the elevators on the S class ships....one main bank mid-ship and one small forward bank...nothing aft at all and the walk from the stern to the elevator was a killer for someone with walking issues, like me. I'm really happy to be on the Summit this time....next time we're on the Eclipse again for Scandinavia and Norway but I booked a hump cabin to be closer to the elevators.

What is the best side/location on the Summit to view NYC/Statue of Liberty as we leave Cape Liberty?

Thanks as always

My advice is to get out by the pool area and listen to the music as the ship departs. Then go from side to side to take in all the magnificent views of Manhattan, Brooklyn, Statue of Liberty, and Governor's Island.

My advice is to get out by the pool area and listen to the music as the ship departs. Then go from side to side to take in all the magnificent views of Manhattan, Brooklyn, Statue of Liberty, and Governor's Island.

This is the best answer. Head upstairs for the 360 views!! Be ready with camera and emotion.:)

Edited by eandj