What do you think of this DIY plan for Marseille?

ratfam

I know many leave Marseille but we are planning to spent our day there while in port for a few weeks. We will be in port from 8 to 5 on a Sunday and I don't really love any of the excursions being offered by RCI. I am thinking about the following and would appreciate thoughts anyone may have, including how to get from place to place (we do like to walk where possible).

Start at Norte Dame de la Garde, either walking or taking the Petit Train

Get back to the Le Panier District and walk around and get lunch (not sure how close together these areas are)

Visit the MuCEM

If time permits visit the Vieux Port

The Musee Cantini also sounds interesting, but I don't think that we will have time for it. Also not sure if we will have time for everything, and if we had to choose whether we should go to Le Panier District or Vieux port, and also whether La Canabiere which I have read about is the same as the Le Panier District.

Obviously we have never been anywhere near here before. Thanks very much in advance for any thoughts or help!

I really don't think it's feasible to walk to Notre Dame de la Garde, it's a long way and very steep. It would take up ftoo much of your time. Take the Petit Train instead, which starts from the Vieux Port anyway and goes right along it.

We took bus #60 from the Old Port to Notre-Dame de la Garde. It was very easy and cost 1.50 Euros for a one hour bus pass. That was plenty of time for us to visit the church and return to the Old Port.

• 1 month later...

So thanks to everyone for the information we ended up doing pretty much what we had planned and it worked out very well! We got off the ship and took the shuttle into town, from which it was a relatively short walk to the Petit Train. We decided to do the Petit Train rather than a taxi since it was easier to pick up and we were glad that we did since the information provided by recording, although limited, was still interesting and it did give us a good overview of the area. We went to Notre Dame de la Garde and explored it all, then took the Petit Train back to town. We went to see La Canabiere and just generally walked around. We were in town on a Sunday so most of the smaller cafes and restaurants off of La Canabiere were closed (other than the middle eastern restaurants, which were open and very busy but we have tons of excellent middle eastern food in our home town so that wasn't as appealing an option for us), and we were trying to save time for the MUCEM so we just grabbed a quick sandwich at a small counter service place back closer to the Vieux Port, the restaurants in this more touristy area were open. Then we spent a while at the MUCEM, the museum about Mediterranean civilization and culture. It was a really interesting museum and well worth the visit, and had an interesting blend of the ancient and the new approach (art and film). The only downside was that the museum did not have much in the way of English explanations, but even not having studied French since college I could make out the gist of it. The MUCEM buildings are also very interesting. The shuttle bus stop was right next to the MUCEM, so we headed back to the ship when we were done which was very convenient. We really enjoyed Marseille, it was an interesting city with beautiful, interesting sights!

There is a lot more interesting places to see away from Marseille.

Check out

http://www.viator.com/Marseille/d485-ttd

You don't have to take these tours, but this one would be great:

Best of Provence Day Trip from Marseille: Avignon, Chateauneuf-du-Pape and Les Baux de Provence

Go on the internet and see what these places have to offer.

Yes there is a lot of talk on the ship (especially among the shore excursion people) about Marseille not being a worthwhile port, and I know that Provence is supposed to be great but I would definitely encourage people to give Marseille a chance, it was one of our favorite ports--the multi ethnic nature of the city was particularly interesting

• 1 month later...

I cant believe people are saying Marseilles is not worth the visit? We were here last October, found it really good, lots of interesting things, even found a small beach to have a relaxing swim.

This years cruise goes back again, it seems to be a favourite with the cruise lines! Looking to go a bit further away this time.

If you only go one place, go to the Cathederal visible for miles, Notre Dame. Take a few minutes to find the history, see the damage still there caused by fighting in WW2.....go inside and look around, its not the usual bare cathederal.

Then come outside and revel in the view.....see your ship in the distance......its spectacular. Dont walk, take the bus or petit train.

If you only go one place, go to the Cathederal visible for miles, Notre Dame. Take a few minutes to find the history, see the damage still there caused by fighting in WW2.....go inside and look around, its not the usual bare cathederal.

Then come outside and revel in the view.....see your ship in the distance......its spectacular. Dont walk, take the bus or petit train.

Well said ! There are some great options away from the city but for something inexpensive and interesting, this fits the bill very well. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]aNsFktA9o58[/YOUTUBE]

• 4 months later...

Because there are 5 of us, we took a cab, its just as cheap for us all as a bus. But the free shuttle bus is a good idea, the normal bus stops a fair way from the dock area, so its a long walk....or it was, the ports change everytime we visit so things may have changed since October.

The shuttle drops you off near the museum, if you are not very mobile it is a reasonable walk to the petit train which is a sightseeing pretend train! We used this to go up the hill to the Cathederal on one trip, last time we hired electric bikes, challenging but fun!

There is a bus that goes up but I have no idea which one or where, it will be on here somewhere!

• 1 month later...
So thanks to everyone for the information we ended up doing pretty much what we had planned and it worked out very well! We got off the ship and took the shuttle into town, from which it was a relatively short walk to the Petit Train. We decided to do the Petit Train rather than a taxi since it was easier to pick up and we were glad that we did since the information provided by recording, although limited, was still interesting and it did give us a good overview of the area. We went to Notre Dame de la Garde and explored it all, then took the Petit Train back to town. We went to see La Canabiere and just generally walked around. We were in town on a Sunday so most of the smaller cafes and restaurants off of La Canabiere were closed (other than the middle eastern restaurants, which were open and very busy but we have tons of excellent middle eastern food in our home town so that wasn't as appealing an option for us), and we were trying to save time for the MUCEM so we just grabbed a quick sandwich at a small counter service place back closer to the Vieux Port, the restaurants in this more touristy area were open. Then we spent a while at the MUCEM, the museum about Mediterranean civilization and culture. It was a really interesting museum and well worth the visit, and had an interesting blend of the ancient and the new approach (art and film). The only downside was that the museum did not have much in the way of English explanations, but even not having studied French since college I could make out the gist of it. The MUCEM buildings are also very interesting. The shuttle bus stop was right next to the MUCEM, so we headed back to the ship when we were done which was very convenient. We really enjoyed Marseille, it was an interesting city with beautiful, interesting sights!

This was posted a while back, but it is nice to have someone give a postive description of their day in Marseilles. We didn't do the museum, but did the walk, old port, and the Notre Dame. We felt it was a good 'low key' port stop. Not like Naples or Civi - but you need some quieter stops on a 7 day cruise.

• 1 month later...

Hi - hijacking this thread a bit. We would like to go to the Chateau D'If and I've got the Frioul ferry timetable figured out, but just wondering the easiest way to get into Vieux Port to pick it up. Is the free shuttle drop-off (from the cruise ship) a good option? Where does it usually drop off? TIA :)

Also hijacking the thread to offer some thoughts for future visitors to this port. We have explored Marseille (on both cruise visits and extended driving trips) and also have spent a significant amount of time in various parts of Provence (including renting apartments in St Remy and Avignon). Personally, we would never recommend a first time visitor spend their port day in Marseille. The reality is that Provence has so much more to offer (and is one of the most popular Provinces for even the French) and there are some parts of Provence easily reached from Marseille on a port day. And there are alternatives to overpriced (and crowded) excursions including regional buses, trains or rental cars. On a Sunday morning in that port we would crawl to get a rental car just so we could visit our beloved Sunday market in L'Isle sur-la-Sorgue. But for those less adventurous it is pretty easy to catch a bus or train up to Aix en Provence. As to Chateau D'If, it is very easy to do on your own if staying in Marseille. The shuttle boats leave from a pier that is within walking distance of the drop-off place for the port shuttle buses. The old fort is fun for those that like walking around old fortresses and climbing stairs, but other then a way to kill a couple of hours (and saying you visited the place) it is really nothing special. For those taking a tour on a Sunday you might want to consider one that goes to Les Baux and/or Avignon which are pretty decent places on that quiet day of the week. And then there are the Lavender fields (if your timing is right), Gordes, etc. etc. etc.. If we were to list our top 20 places to go in the region, Marseille would be near or at the bottom.

Hank

I'm so glad I read this thread because we will be in Marseille on a Sunday, too, in August. The lavender is not in bloom and that would be the main draw for me in Provence. Thanks ratfam for all the info!