Long Beach Questions

ceilidh1

First off, thanks to Bruin Steve for the comprehensive "where to stay in Long Beach" list of hotels! I had been looking at "budget" and not considering "area" so thankful that I researched on here prior to booking! I was able to get the Hyatt Regency on Priceline for $160 a night (higher than what I wanted to pay, but a bargain compared to all the other hotels listed at regular price for my dates!)

So, on to my questions...

I fly into LGB 2 days prior to my cruise and will need to get from the airport to the hotel (arrive around 5pm on Saturday 21st May). I am travelling with 2 kids so wondering what is the best option given that I am not planning on hauling car seats this trip. We won't have much luggage, so public transportation could be doable...or would you suggest pre-booking a shuttle? I think cab/uber would be out due to car seat requirements?

In Long Beach, we are planning on visiting the aquarium (we love it there!) and maybe the beach. Any recommendations on kid-friendly places to eat (even cheesy touristy ones are good on vacation - my kids LOVE places like Rainforest Cafe...)

To get to the port, I believe we can hop on the Passport bus for free close to the hotel and get off at Queen Mary? Is this the best option (again, I think cab/uber would be out due to car seat requirements)?

Heading home, we have a flight out of SNA around 2:30pm (International, heading to Canada). What time should I plan on being off the ship/in the shuttle (I think I will pre-book for this one as we don't want to miss the flight)? Any recommendations on best company to use?

Any other "must do's" with kids or words of advice?

Thanks in advance!

Near the Aquarium is all sorts of chain restaurants. Bubba Gumps, Yardhouse, Famous Dave's, Alcapulco or El Torito etc.

The Passport bus is easy. We've used it many times. Pack lightly, there's room, but not tons of room for luggage. It'll drop you off in the parking lot. Walk off the bus, continue straight, go thru the 'village' to the Dome. Could walk in the street but it's awkward.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Near the Aquarium is all sorts of chain restaurants. Bubba Gumps, Yardhouse, Famous Dave's, Alcapulco or El Torito etc.

The Passport bus is easy. We've used it many times. Pack lightly, there's room, but not tons of room for luggage. It'll drop you off in the parking lot. Walk off the bus, continue straight, go thru the 'village' to the Dome. Could walk in the street but it's awkward.

Thank You!

First off, thanks to Bruin Steve for the comprehensive "where to stay in Long Beach" list of hotels! I had been looking at "budget" and not considering "area" so thankful that I researched on here prior to booking! I was able to get the Hyatt Regency on Priceline for $160 a night (higher than what I wanted to pay, but a bargain compared to all the other hotels listed at regular price for my dates!)

So, on to my questions...

I fly into LGB 2 days prior to my cruise and will need to get from the airport to the hotel (arrive around 5pm on Saturday 21st May). I am travelling with 2 kids so wondering what is the best option given that I am not planning on hauling car seats this trip. We won't have much luggage, so public transportation could be doable...or would you suggest pre-booking a shuttle? I think cab/uber would be out due to car seat requirements?

In Long Beach, we are planning on visiting the aquarium (we love it there!) and maybe the beach. Any recommendations on kid-friendly places to eat (even cheesy touristy ones are good on vacation - my kids LOVE places like Rainforest Cafe...)

To get to the port, I believe we can hop on the Passport bus for free close to the hotel and get off at Queen Mary? Is this the best option (again, I think cab/uber would be out due to car seat requirements)?

Heading home, we have a flight out of SNA around 2:30pm (International, heading to Canada). What time should I plan on being off the ship/in the shuttle (I think I will pre-book for this one as we don't want to miss the flight)? Any recommendations on best company to use?

Any other "must do's" with kids or words of advice?

Thanks in advance!

First, thank you...I'm glad you were able to get the Hyatt on Priceline...It's a great hotel in a great location.

There are a lot of appropriate restaurants all virtually across the street from the Hyatt...Bubba Gump, Chili's, PF Chang, Outback, Famous Dave's BBQ, Islands, California Pizza Kitchen and more...

As to the kids and transportation, that is a tough one...California car seat laws are pretty strict...and they DO apply to shuttles and buses...Some carriers MAY look the other way, but it's a risk I would not want to take.

You have a 9 year old and a 4 year old, correct? Well--half good news here. The 9 year old is exempt from Car Seat laws--they apply to children 8 and under. So, it is just the 4 year old you need to deal with--and you DON'T need a large car seat. For a 4 year old, you only need a "booster" seat--and these are relatively light and less cumbersome. Were it me, I would err on the safe side and bring a booster seat for the 4 year old--then you can take any transportation.

The most cost efficient way to get from the airport to Long Beach and Long Beach to the airport will be a shared shuttle...or, possibly an Uber...But good chance both might require you to have that booster car seat. You can try calling the shuttle companies and ask if they supply them, but, IIRC, they all want you to have your own. "Public Transportation" ie the Metro or public buses is really not a viable option for you.

As to timing, a 2:30 pm flight out of SNA should not be a problem...no matter when you get off the ship...The drive (about 36 miles) should take about an hour...a little faster if no traffic. So, as long as you are on the road by Noon, you are fine. Of course, even with Carnival and Long Beach (which, in my experience is often a mess), you will easily be off before then...

Good luck...

You have a 9 year old and a 4 year old, correct? Well--half good news here. The 9 year old is exempt from Car Seat laws--they apply to children 8 and under. So, it is just the 4 year old you need to deal with--and you DON'T need a large car seat. For a 4 year old, you only need a "booster" seat--and these are relatively light and less cumbersome. Were it me, I would err on the safe side and bring a booster seat for the 4 year old--then you can take any transportation.

The more I think about it, the more I agree! I think bringing the booster is the way to go. Last time we were in CA we took it and used Uber everywhere - it was awesome!

Thanks again....looking forward to our little getaway!

Word of warning. May 27 is the first day of summer vacation for many school districts.

Last off is usually around 10am.

For comparison a taxi to SNA will run about $80.

There could be more options nowaday (my little one is now 18 so she hasn't had to use one for years), but we were able to dissemble her booster seat, and place in a duffel bag. Then when taking a taxi, hubby would put the arms back on and attach using the seat belt. On the ship, it would be placed in the closet for storge

I have a 5 year old who travels frequently with me. For the past couple of years, whenever we've cruised and/or taken short trips that didn't involve many long car rides, I've taken his BubbleBum Inflatable Booster ($28 on Amazon). It's GREAT!! I can deflate and roll it up to fit into my backpack, so that any time we may need it, it's there. He's used it in Taxis in Mexico/Central America, shuttles, etc. Definitely beats hauling a hard booster or car seat.

I have a 5 year old who travels frequently with me. For the past couple of years, whenever we've cruised and/or taken short trips that didn't involve many long car rides, I've taken his BubbleBum Inflatable Booster ($28 on Amazon). It's GREAT!! I can deflate and roll it up to fit into my backpack, so that any time we may need it, it's there. He's used it in Taxis in Mexico/Central America, shuttles, etc. Definitely beats hauling a hard booster or car seat.

Thanks - it looks as if these are not legal in Canada, so not able to get them shipped here!

Would love to see the "Where to stay in Long Beach" list. Have done several searches and no luck. Help please!! Thanks for any help!

Have a great cruise all!

Kat

"A" list: Hyatt Regency, Hyatt Centric (at the Pike), Renaissance, Westin

These put you right in the center of everything...near many restaurants, the Aquarium, shopping and near the free Passport shuttle.

"B" list: Maya Doubletree, Residence Inn Downtown, Hilton.

The first two are across the channel near the Queen Mary and Carnival terminal, but require taking the shuttle to most restaurants and shopping. The Hilton is just a little longer walk to most attractions.

"C" list: Queen Mary, Best Western Convention Center...

Slightly lesser quality hotels, a little less convenient.

Many of the hotels on Steve's list are on the free Passport bus runs from early morning to late at night. Queen Mary, Maya, Renaissance are along the route as is the Aquarium and many restaurants.

Edited by SadieN

SNA is my local "hometown" airport. It's quick and easy to get from curbside to gate. If you arrive 90 minutes before scheduled departure (1pm in your case), it will be ample time. Since the airport caters heavily to business travelers, weekends are fairly laid-back.

One tip- SNA has 3 "terminals" A/B/C but they are all zones in the same structure. (Westjet is 'A') After checkin, there is one security area for each terminal. If the closest one has a long line, look down the terminal at the lines in the other areas and go there instead if they're shorter. Once you're through any of the 3 security checks, all gates are accessible.

SNA is my local "hometown" airport. It's quick and easy to get from curbside to gate. If you arrive 90 minutes before scheduled departure (1pm in your case), it will be ample time. Since the airport caters heavily to business travelers, weekends are fairly laid-back.

One tip- SNA has 3 "terminals" A/B/C but they are all zones in the same structure. (Westjet is 'A') After checkin, there is one security area for each terminal. If the closest one has a long line, look down the terminal at the lines in the other areas and go there instead if they're shorter. Once you're through any of the 3 security checks, all gates are accessible.

Thanks for this info! I pre-booked with Go Sedan (we used them to go from San Pedro to Carlsbad in December and they were great!) to pick us up from the ship and take us to SNA. Since we disembark on a Friday, I was concerned with traffic and price (if metered rather than flat rate) so went with the pre-booked price!

• 2 weeks later...

Mid-day traffic on a Friday should be OK from the dock to SNA. About 1 hour curb-to-curb as Bruin commented.

Can you have an inflatable booster seat shipped to a "south of the border" friend or colleague? Or have it held for pickup at a UPS or FedEx depot or store?

As to the kids and transportation, that is a tough one...California car seat laws are pretty strict...and they DO apply to shuttles and buses...Some carriers MAY look the other way, but it's a risk I would not want to take.

California seat belt laws do not apply to full size buses like the Long Beach Passport Bus or shuttles the size of most car rental shuttles.

They do apply to shuttle company vans. Zippy Shuttle and 4Most Coach will provide a child seat if you request them in advance.

• 1 month later...
Just want to make sure you are aware there are two cruise ports.

Long beach for Carnival and sometimes other Carnival Corp. lines.

San Pedro is for all others.

Would hate you to show up at the wrong port.

according to OP's signature the cruise is on the Inspiration, so definitely from LB. It's extremely rare for even other CC line ships to be starting a cruise from LB.