Cabbies in Ft Lauderdale

Steinaker DD 863

Probably a stupid question but do cab drivers in Ft Lauderdale take credit cards ?

They do in the city I live in but was wondering if they do there just in case I am low on cash when returning to FLL. Thanks.

The cabs we have taken in Ft. Lauderdale have had credit card machines. A couple of times the machine was not working.

Edited by clarea

I am pretty sure the last time I was in a cab in Ft. Lauderdale there was a machine attached to the back of the front seat where you could swipe a card but I am just not positive about it.

Edit: OK, Clarea says yes so maybe my memory is better than I think. :)

Edited by Ocean Boy

Probably a stupid question but do cab drivers in Ft Lauderdale take credit cards ?

They do in the city I live in but was wondering if they do there just in case I am low on cash when returning to FLL. Thanks.

Not a stupid question at all!

They take credit cards but some cabbies will lie and tell you the machine is broken. I am not fond of cabbies in Fort Lauderale they are most often rude and dishonest .I have had my share of run ins with them. Watch out for the taking the tourist the longest way around possible ploy. Since we go down a few times a year we know better.

Stand your ground with them or if you need to call a police officer. (They will back down)

Love Fort Lauderdale though!

Referring to BlueHerons post : I also always use cash with the cabbies there because the locals know best! :)

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

My understanding is they do not work for a company, they rent the cabs and then pay the owner back a fee,after that fee is paid for the day they keep what is left. They often are not truthful about what they earned to the owner.

(Hence no credit card transactions).

This means there is very little accountability on the part of the driver other than they can have their license pulled. (The number should always be visible in the cab). They try to hide that also sometimes.

If I am incorrect about this information I would very much welcome a local correcting me .

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

I used a cab from the airport to hotel on Friday night and used a credit card, but gave the driver a cash tip. When I took a cab to the port Saturday morning, the driver was almost insistent that I pay in cash. He said something about having 3 more fares to pick up, and the credit card would take too long. I was equally insistent that I didn't have that much cash - just enough for his tip. (Not true, of course, but I have my reasons for wanting to use the card.). Will keep my fingers crossed that my son-in-law's identity won't be messed with, since the family account is in his name.

Come to think of it, I used that same credit card for cab fare in Nov. 2013, with no resulting problems, though I remember the driver being annoyed to accept the card. I know that many cities have cabbies who will try to take passengers the "long" way around, and I don't know if the "broken" card machine is prevalent elsewhere.

I used a cab from the airport to hotel on Friday night and used a credit card, but gave the driver a cash tip. When I took a cab to the port Saturday morning, the driver was almost insistent that I pay in cash. He said something about having 3 more fares to pick up, and the credit card would take too long. I was equally insistent that I didn't have that much cash - just enough for his tip. (Not true, of course, but I have my reasons for wanting to use the card.). Will keep my fingers crossed that my son-in-law's identity won't be messed with, since the family account is in his name.

Come to think of it, I used that same credit card for cab fare in Nov. 2013, with no resulting problems, though I remember the driver being annoyed to accept the card. I know that many cities have cabbies who will try to take passengers the "long" way around, and I don't know if the "broken" card machine is prevalent elsewhere.

Hi Grandma Petania

Grandma Gail here AKA Reader :)

Come from a small town where we have maybe four cabs ..lol

They took me for a ride a few times in Fort lauderdale until I caught on :rolleyes:

Problem with Fort Lauderdale is the cabbies and Longshoremen can shut the city down in a heartbeat. City leaders will not mess with them ,so us tourists have to look out for ourselves and one another.

Happy to give a Cabbie a few bucks here & there but will be dammed if I let them steal it!

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598