Late flight out of San Juan

tryptaker

I will be sailing on the Summit and have a 4 p.m. flight out of San Juan on the last day. I was told by Celebrity that we could stay on ship till 1 p.m. but I'm thinking there is probably nothing to do on the ship! We will be spending a day in San Juan prior to our cruise so plan to see the city then. Anyone have any ideas of how to fill a few hours of time and also what becomes of our baggage? I will be travelling with my elderly parents so nothing too strenuous or busy is required!

thanks.

...I was told by Celebrity that we could stay on ship till 1 p.m....

I'd be very skeptical of this. Unless there is something new this year or in San Juan, all cruises I've been to in USA (Including Puerto Rico) they want everyone off the ship ASAP. If there are no issues delaying disembarkation this can happen as early as the 9:30AM. In San Juan you can head to Old San Juan and check your luggage at the Barrachina restaurant. Then tour around Old San Juan. If this doesn't work for your parents then try calling a few of the resort hotels and see if you can arrange to use their facilities on some sort of day pass which would also allow you to check luggage with their bellman.

Edited by Lsimon

I would agree about being skeptical of this, but I do remember reading sometime ago about Celebrity (I think it was) allowing passengers to stay on later, but I'm sure there is a extra charge, so I'd probably check into that.

I've sailed out of San Juan on the Summit several times and am going again in January. Even though the ship sails late in the evening, we've always been able to get on the ship normal embarkment time in the morning, so no way would they let disembarking passengers stay on later unless like I said they charge for the privilege.

Anyway, I'd check into it with Celebrity a bit further just to be sure. There is a lot to see in San Juan, so I would try to find an excursion either though Celebrity or a private company.

Agree with LSIMON we were on The Summit in 2013 and All Off Announcement was due to happen around 10:00 AM... We were among the last off (asked for a Late Departure Tkt) around 9:30 AM

Couple of Questions / things to consider...

1- Where are you flying to out of San Juan? US / Domestic or International (including Canada)?

Domestic you probably want to give yourself about 2 Hours at the Airport... International closer to 3. In San Juan Departures can be slow going... With multiple line ups... one for Agro Inspection for your Luggage (mandatory) - a 2nd for check in & luggage drop - and a 3rd for Security

2- How mobile / elderly are your parents? There is a big difference between an active 75 year old, a spry 80 year old, and a limited 90 year old. As well there could be elements that effect their physical abilities in Old San Jan... Cobblestone Strrets - Heat & Humidity etc

As for baggage...

You will have to pick it up at the Pier Terminal when you get off the ship.

If you do a Ship Excursion they will usually manage your luggage for you... If you don't you will be on your own.

So honestly knowing more about your situation might be helpful in providing suggestions

Cheers!

I knew I had read about late disembarkment for a fee, here is the info that was posted on CruiseCritic. Wondering if this is what Celebrity was telling poster about.

From Cruisecritic:

Now the lines' sister, Celebrity Cruises, has jumped on the trend with its own program.

Passengers who choose this option must be out of their cabins by 9 a.m., yet may remain aboard as late as 90 minutes before the next cruise sets sail. The cost is $59 per adult, $29.50 for children ages 3-12, and is free for children under 3.

What does the fee get you, other than a few more hours onboard? The program includes non-alcoholic specialty coffees and teas from Cafe al Bacio, lunch in the specialty restaurant Bistro on Five, a chance to catch a film in one of the ship's theaters, and access to the pool and fitness center. Passengers can also purchase spa services at AquaSpa or buy drinks via credit card.

Celebrity's Extend Your Stay departure times may vary by ship and itinerary based on local immigration regulations. Passengers should inquire at Guest Relations for availability of late disembarkation on their cruise.

we have an after 4 pm flight out of SJU too. Had planned on going back to the hotel we are staying pre cruise on the Summit and hanging for a bit. It would be a nice option but...found this on the website, circa 2011 & don't see the Summit listed.

Celebrity Cruises Launches “Extend Your Stay” Program

Posted on October 5, 2011

Celebrity Cruises has launched the “Extend Your Stay” program, which allows passengers to stay in their staterooms until 9 a.m. on the day their cruises end (one hour later than the standard time by which the guest is typically asked to depart). The cost of the program is $59 general, $29.50 per child ages 3 to 12, and free for children under 3 years of age. It is available for purchase at the Guest Relations desk onboard.

The program also offers some of the ship’s services until as late as 90 minutes before the next cruise sets sail. Included are non-alcoholic specialty coffees and teas from Café al Bacio; a meal at Bistro on Five; the opportunity to watch a first-run movie in one of the ship’s theaters; and access to the pool, fitness center and locker rooms. The AquaSpa will be available for spa services at an additional charge. Bar purchases can be made on the last day of the cruise using a credit card.

The new program is available for the remainder of the current Europe season on the Celebrity Constellation, the Celebrity Equinox, the Celebrity Solstice and the Celebrity Silhouette. The program also will be available for future Europe seasons. Extend Your Stay departure times may vary by ship and itinerary, based on local immigration regulations

I definitely recall the introduction of this Celebrity "Extend Your Stay" Program

But I also thought I had read it had been experimental... And since discontinued

See if I cannot find that info (maybe someone else will recall / post too)

Know for a fact, that the Program was not offered in 2013 on our Summit Southern Caribbean Cruise out of San Juan... Or we might have considered it.

Cheers!

I definitely recall the introduction of this Celebrity "Extend Your Stay" Program

Funny you would recall this when you hadn't even done a cruise yet in 2011.

@OP, we have never done it in San Juan but in FLL and Sydney we have made arrangements with the Concierge at our pre-cruise hotel to store our luggage post cruise while we enjoy a meal and drinks at the hotel.

There is also a restaurant in OSJ (may posts about this) that will store your luggage for you so you can sight see for the day.

re: Celebrity Extend Your Stay Program

This has only been offered in Europe due to differences in immigration clearance.

On many European cruises there is no customs and immigration to go through at the end of the cruise so Celebrity has a lot more flexibility. But on Caribbean cruises disembarking at San Juan all passengers must clear U.S.A. Border Patrol (customs and immigration). This is probably why the program isn't offered there.

Edited by Lsimon

I will be sailing on the Summit and have a 4 p.m. flight out of San Juan on the last day. I was told by Celebrity that we could stay on ship till 1 p.m. but I'm thinking there is probably nothing to do on the ship! We will be spending a day in San Juan prior to our cruise so plan to see the city then. Anyone have any ideas of how to fill a few hours of time and also what becomes of our baggage? I will be travelling with my elderly parents so nothing too strenuous or busy is required!

thanks.

We also now have a late flight ex SJU, thanks to U.S. Airways. We see there is a cruise excursion (post cruise) which keeps your luggage on the bus while

you tour Bacardi factory, etc. (3 ½ hrs.) with Puerto Rico Cruise Excursions for

$40.00. The Celebrity post cruise tour is cheaper & only 2 ½ hrs. but your

luggage does not stay with you, according to Chris. Looking into the first option with PR Cruise Excursions right now. We're on Summit Dec.06-20/14.

Funny you would recall this when you hadn't even done a cruise yet in 2011.

Uhhh... Not funny / unusual at all. If you can read My posts you can also read my CC Profile notes... And you'll see that I joined CC in July 2011... Announcement was made in October 2011.

Believe it or not some people go thru life with their eyes (and minds) wide open

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

The Bacardi tour is really very interesting, even for those not in love with rum. The history of the family and the manufacturing of the distillations is "educational" as is the tasting room. There is walking and standing involved but the facility is on flat ground.

The stay onboard program was never offered in San Juan so plan on leaving the ship no later than 9:30.

Why not find a hotel with luggage storage (they all have it), relax in the lobby or by the pool, and have a nice lunch. There are not too many dining options at SJU and they are pricy. And, there are not too many dining options with sit down table service. You will see hundreds trying to eat something in the gate areas and on the floor.

Do plan on beginning your trek through SJU before 2. It's always been a zoo. Our first flight there was shortly after they opened the "new" airport and not much has changed. That was eons before TSA too. Do take your luggage to the Ag station first, as recommended. If you get in a check in line without your stamps they will just send you back. The Ag stations are near the terminal doors on the arrival level.

Have a wonderful cruise.

...Why not find a hotel with luggage storage (they all have it), relax in the lobby or by the pool, and have a nice lunch. ...

One word of caution: You might want to phone a few hotels first and make sure they'll allow this. We tried this after one cruise and the taxi dispatcher recommended the El San Juan resort. They said they were not allowed to check our bags (and we did offer a gratuity) and the front desk confirmed that. They also said we could not sit out by the pool or the beach. They did invite us to have their brunch buffet in an open air dining room adjacent to the pool where we could enjoy the view but we had to keep our luggage with us (which they didn't mind). We enjoyed that and sat for a couple hours before continuing onto the airport but would have preferred to sit out by the pool or beach. If you have a long stay you might want to inquire about a day pass or some other similar arrangement. Now this was several years ago and things might have changed at that resort and others might have been much more accommodating, but it is worth making a few phone calls in advance.

Edited by Lsimon

One word of caution: You might want to phone a few hotels first and make sure they'll allow this. We tried this after one cruise and the taxi dispatcher recommended the El San Juan resort. They said they were not allowed to check our bags (and we did offer a gratuity) and the front desk confirmed that. They also said we could not sit out by the pool or the beach. They did invite us to have their brunch buffet in an open air dining room adjacent to the pool where we could enjoy the view but we had to keep our luggage with us (which they didn't mind). We enjoyed that and sat for a couple hours before continuing onto the airport but would have preferred to sit out by the pool or beach. If you have a long stay you might want to inquire about a day pass or some other similar arrangement. Now this was several years ago and things might have changed at that resort and others might have been much more accommodating, but it is worth making a few phone calls in advance.

LSIMON makes some excellent points about Hotels & Resorts and baggage Privleges / Day Passes etc ... If you are flying into San Juan a day or two earlier than your cruise & staying at a Hotel or Resort make inquiries then... Sometimes "arrangements" are easier to make if you have a history of being a Staying / Paying Customer in the past / recently.

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Thanks everyone for all the wonderful advice. We will be flying back to Canada from SJU so I will allow 3 hours at airport for line ups and slow moving seniors! Prior to our cruise we will spend 2 nights at the Embassy Suites so I will ask when we are there if we can store our luggage post cruise and have lunch in their restaurant and perhaps they will let us sit by their pool too! If we can leave the ship as late as 930 then will only have about 3 hours to fill anyways. If we can spend those few hours at the Embassy Suites we are that much closer to the airport as well.

...Prior to our cruise we will spend 2 nights at the Embassy Suites so I will ask when we are there if we can store our luggage post cruise and have lunch in their restaurant and perhaps they will let us sit by their pool too! ,,,

I'd imagine this would be very acceptable if you stayed at the hotel pre-cruise. Be sure to ask the bellman about this when you tip him for carrying your bags up to your room and/or down from your room.

We've also gone to a hotel near the airport to hang around and have lunch b4 we checked in for a late afternoon flight. We've done both going to the airport 1st to check in our luggage or carried our luggage with us, whatever you prefer. I found the hotels cooperative, especially since you will be spending money there.

Thanks everyone for all the wonderful advice. We will be flying back to Canada from SJU so I will allow 3 hours at airport for line ups and slow moving seniors! Prior to our cruise we will spend 2 nights at the Embassy Suites so I will ask when we are there if we can store our luggage post cruise and have lunch in their restaurant and perhaps they will let us sit by their pool too! If we can leave the ship as late as 930 then will only have about 3 hours to fill anyways. If we can spend those few hours at the Embassy Suites we are that much closer to the airport as well.

If you are not already... Suggest you join the Hilton's Loyalty Program (Hilton Hhonors) sometimes just being a member has its rewards (lol beyond accumulating points). Might put you in good standing with folks at the front desk who would be more willing to welcome you for a few hours post cruise.

Cheers!

We also now have a late flight ex SJU, thanks to U.S. Airways. We see there is a cruise excursion (post cruise) which keeps your luggage on the bus while

you tour Bacardi factory, etc. (3 ½ hrs.) with Puerto Rico Cruise Excursions for

$40.00. The Celebrity post cruise tour is cheaper & only 2 ½ hrs. but your

luggage does not stay with you, according to Chris. Looking into the first option with PR Cruise Excursions right now. We're on Summit Dec.06-20/14.

We were on the Summit out of San Juan in 2013 (November) and ended up taking one of the cruise excursions as we also had a late flight. Luggage as noted above for the Celebrity tour does not stay on the bus with you, but is sent over to the airport for holding. Where they hold the luggage is outside one of the terminals (no one watching it) - just sitting outside. We had not issues with this and our luggage was fine - but it definitely is not on the tour bus with you.

We were on the Summit out of San Juan in 2013 (November) and ended up taking one of the cruise excursions as we also had a late flight. Luggage as noted above for the Celebrity tour does not stay on the bus with you, but is sent over to the airport for holding. Where they hold the luggage is outside one of the terminals (no one watching it) - just sitting outside. We had not issues with this and our luggage was fine - but it definitely is not on the tour bus with you.

So glad you found this post...

I remember your comments about that, and I too was shocked by that lack of care by Celebrity with your personal belongings being left in a very unsecure area at the airport ... As you said at the time... San Juan is not exactly a crime free locale. But I could not recall your User Name or what Excursion you had taken so I was not able to advise the OP of the details

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

That is disappointing the luggage is sitting In open space. Does Celebrity ship luggage home early out of San Juan? Can't remember the programs name.

Hi HULAMOON,

Believe you are thinking of the Luggage Valet Program... If memory serves, it is not available out of San Juan (probably due to the Agro Inspection Requirement)

Luggage Valet is where they pick up your checked bags night before D-Day and check them thru for you... So the next time you see them is at your Home / Destination Airport.

Believe tho the following... Only applicable on direct flights, and with only some airlines (domestic US too if I recall... As Intl Flights are more fussy about that TSA Requirement "Did you pack your bags / were they ever out of your sight ?" )

They also don't presend your bags... They still fly with you... Just that you don't have to go thru the hassle of slogging them to the Airport from the Cruise Terminal.

EDIT TO ADD - Found this pg on the Celebrity Website... Interesting it has info on BOTH the Luggage Valet & the Extend Your Stay Programs... That was also talked about earlier in this topic (looks like NEITHER are available in San Juan)

http://www.celebritycruises.com/explore/singleColLanding.do?pagename=onboard_outstanding_service

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB
Edit to add comments