Information regarding onboard medical services

Eager2Travel

We recently had an experience onboard a ship that has left me wondering about the variation in adequacy of the medical services onboard a ship. I know that some cruise lines have contracts with top quality medical centers located on land that they can send data to and consult with if need arises. Some ships have some minimal xray equipment onboard and some do not,

Does anyone know how I might obtain this info? We like to take longer cruises to remote locales but I no longer feel quite as confident as previously.

I would appreciate any help or direction I can get. Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by Eager2Travel

From the Silverseas website -

http://www.silversea.com/new-to-cruising/general-information/medical-information/

specifically =

Medical Services On Board

Each Silversea ship is equipped with a Medical Centre, which is customarily staffed by a doctor and nurse on 24-hour call when at sea. When docked, supplementary emergency care may also be obtained through local medical facilities. Guests may be charged for medical services and for medications used for their medical treatment. The Medical Centre is not intended or designed to provide ongoing treatment of pre-existing conditions or for extended critical care, and Silversea is not responsible for the diagnosis, treatment or services furnished by shipboard medical personnel. Guests requiring oxygen for medical reasons are welcome to bring an oxygen concentrator onboard. Guests wishing to bring their own portable oxygen tanks must obtain prior written authorisation from Silversea, as restrictions may apply.

You take your chances. I have had to use their services on numerous occasions. Just like at home, some docs are better than others. Always travel with medical evacuation insurance.

Totally agree, have met excellent docs and one or two who were way out of their depth with a serious problem.

I agree about the quality of the doctors. When you are used to an excellent medical professional you know it when you land into the hands of one who is not. while out at sea this is not a good spot to be in.

Edited by Eager2Travel

I agree that if you're that concerned, you should have the evacuation insurance. Not sure how it works, but I'm sure there are lots of options.

Think about it this way...if you were a really good doctor, would you be working on the cruise ship? Probably not...

That probably isn't fair. Some of the good docs do contracts because they may be in the same situation as crew. They aren't going to get to see the world any other way. SS used to have a rotating group of Polish docs who got to travel while making some money so they could go home and practice better medicine.

I think the bottom line is that no ship can always treat every condition. The doctors can treat minor ailments and injuries. In more serious cases, they try to stabilize the patient. If a passenger's needs are beyond the medical center's capabilities, or if staying onboard presents a risk, they might have to leave the ship at the next port. A couple of years ago an elderly man from Germany had pneumonia; he wanted to stay on the ship until Rome, and fly home, but the doctor had him disembark at the next port in Italy. No room for negotiation here.

You're wise to think about these things, Eager2Travel. Fortunately, most passengers on a given cruise won't need to use the medical facilities. But things do happen, so it's smart to take that possibility seriously, and make good travel insurance part of the package, just in case.

Edited by Seafairer

It was a simple case of Bronchitis and a less than wonderful doctor (in our opinion) that started this whole process. I think it is important to remember that we give up control over some issues when we board a ship.

Please,if we have to worry about the quality of physicians on board,then stay home,.its a cruise ship ....