Istanbul Port Closed ??

I have read that the old Istanbul Cruise Port is closed and that where the cruise ships dock has moved.

Can anyone confirm is this is true and if so where will we dock in June. The Old port was nicely located and hope it is not going to be too far out.

Would you care to share where you read this ?

Yep, its always useful to quote a source, then we'll know whether it's news or uncorroborated tittle-tattle. ;)

Thanks for the subsequent link.

What I've gleaned from the ether is that a large & contentious new project called Galataport, which will include shops, hotels, etc, as well as a new cruise terminal, is being built at the eastern end of the current cruise berths. The cruise berths (for 4 or 5 ships) already spread along the Golden Horn from Galata Bridge to the new project.

http://www.galataport.org/images/slayt_16b.jpg

Those who know the cruise berths will see that the focus has been shifted east, away from the Galata Bridge.

So it looks like it might no longer be convenient for passengers whose ships have berthed at the Galata Bridge end to simply walk through the old terminal & onto the bridge, but for berths at the eastern end it doesn't seem to make any difference to the journey from ship to city - the tram line runs the length of the cruise berths & for some cruise berths it's the same tram stop as in the past.

Can't help with the time-line. Mebbe cruisers will disembark onto a building site, mebbe into a spanking-new terminal adjacent a building site, mebbe the whole development will have been completed.

No inside information, just what's on the web.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

This is a very reliable site; so I'd tend to believe them.

It sounds like the affected area only involves the area closest to Galata bridge and that ships are still docking in the same area, just farther north and east from the bridge.

I departed Istanbul in October and we were dropped off by taxi at the Salipazari gate, which as mentioned above, is in the same general area but farther from Galata.

Thanks for your replies. Looking at it closer it looks as though it is not too inconvenient. I had visions of it moving miles out. I have visited Istanbul (not cruise) before and can remember where the cruise ships were berthed and it looked really near to Galata Bridge but as John posted there are a few tram stops along that part so it should be OK.

We'll be there in October for the first time, so it's good to have this heads up. Thanks.

What is the landing card that is mentioned in the Turkey Travel Planner site? Is that given to each cruiser or other person coming into Turkey or what? Does it have anything to do with the Turkish visa I assume I have to have since I'm staying overnight 2 nights after our cruise?

On our previous 2 visits to Istanbul (both overnights on Celebrity ships) we were given a white card to fill out. Basic info - name, nationality, passport # and ship name with dates in port.

We were told to keep this with us while off the ship. Remember they will take your passport when you check in for the cruise. They return it after your Turkey port stops. At least that is how it worked for us.

We only did this in Istanbul. Not Kusadasi. Not sure why one and not the other.

We have never had to get a visa since we only overnighted on the ship.

Will see if this is still the practice on our next visit in early May (also an overnight on Celebrity)

On our previous 2 visits to Istanbul (both overnights on Celebrity ships) we were given a white card to fill out. Basic info - name, nationality, passport # and ship name with dates in port.

We were told to keep this with us while off the ship. Remember they will take your passport when you check in for the cruise. They return it after your Turkey port stops. At least that is how it worked for us.)

Thanks - helpful!

Bee-ess, I would say it's more '...extended the Cruise Pier' rather than moved it. I will be there in person in March2105. I will let you know for sure. Tom Brosnahan's Turkeytravelplanner explains things quite accurately. Locomotiveman Tom

We were on the NCL Jade last Dec and we had an overnight call at Sali Pazari.

Cruise critic review of our overnight in Istanbul

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2148939

I don't recall that we had to fill up any white card or any card at all. We just got off the ship with our sea pass cards. When going back to the ship, they just asked to see our sea pass cards.

• 2 weeks later...

It is closed. We just got back and we were docked about 3/4 mile further away. We even walked past the old port while walking back to the ship one day and the old port much closer to the Galleta bridge. It is still easy to either walk or catch the tram.

The only difference from all the advice I got when researching was when exiting the ship, turn LEFT to get out of the port. You can turn right, but it is a weird way to go and you definitely cannot come back to ship that way.

If you turn left you can either go right or left to tram station. We went left, towards old istanbul. Be sure to cross over to the tram at the light about one block ahead of where you can see it. If you go to where the actual tram is, you will have to back track because there is no way to cross at the point.

Have fun, you will love Istanbul.

On the first day, we walked to and from. On the second day we took the tram to the Blue mosque and walked back to the ship. It is very easy!

Thanks for that detailed info. Your info is very timely, as yesterday the Norwegian Jade was docked in Istanbul, and I looked at it, just out of curiosity, on Marinetraffic.com it looked to be right in between the Tophane and Findikli tram stops. It was right beneath (toward old Istanbul) a little peninsula which I think has a small rickety metal lighthouse.

It's good to have specific directions on where to go to catch the tram - thanks. We are going in a more crowded time for cruising (very early October) so we may have more ships lined up, but even so, I suspect we'll dock in the same general area. Couple questions: From Google Earth, it looks like you have to walk through the port area (perhaps on a street or maybe not!) toward your left toward a mosque and then head up to the street where the tram line runs. The tram stop near the mosque is Tophane. Does this sound about right? About how long did it take you to walk to the tram, if you remember?

I know you said you walked to Sultanahmet the first day, but did you notice or know if there is a ticket machine at the tram for tickets, and is it in multiple languages (or at least include English), and do you need Turkish lira in bills or coins or will it take a credit card (with pin)? Ideally, we'd like to buy an Istanbul Kart, as we're staying over in Istanbul, but would settle for just a ticket or two the day we're there on the cruise.

Edited by roothy123

It is closed. We just got back and we were docked about 3/4 mile further away. We even walked past the old port while walking back to the ship one day and the old port much closer to the Galleta bridge. It is still easy to either walk or catch the tram.

The only difference from all the advice I got when researching was when exiting the ship, turn LEFT to get out of the port. You can turn right, but it is a weird way to go and you definitely cannot come back to ship that way.

If you turn left you can either go right or left to tram station. We went left, towards old istanbul. Be sure to cross over to the tram at the light about one block ahead of where you can see it. If you go to where the actual tram is, you will have to back track because there is no way to cross at the point.

Have fun, you will love Istanbul.

On the first day, we walked to and from. On the second day we took the tram to the Blue mosque and walked back to the ship. It is very easy!

I am so bad. You turn RIGHT!!! Never learned my right from left, haha. TURN RIGHT!!!

Thanks for that detailed info. Your info is very timely, as yesterday the Norwegian Jade was docked in Istanbul, and I looked at it, just out of curiosity, on Marinetraffic.com it looked to be right in between the Tophane and Findikli tram stops. It was right beneath (toward old Istanbul) a little peninsula which I think has a small rickety metal lighthouse.

It's good to have specific directions on where to go to catch the tram - thanks. We are going in a more crowded time for cruising (very early October) so we may have more ships lined up, but even so, I suspect we'll dock in the same general area. Couple questions: From Google Earth, it looks like you have to walk through the port area (perhaps on a street or maybe not!) toward your left toward a mosque and then head up to the street where the tram line runs. The tram stop near the mosque is Tophane. Does this sound about right? About how long did it take you to walk to the tram, if you remember?

I know you said you walked to Sultanahmet the first day, but did you notice or know if there is a ticket machine at the tram for tickets, and is it in multiple languages (or at least include English), and do you need Turkish lira in bills or coins or will it take a credit card (with pin)? Ideally, we'd like to buy an Istanbul Kart, as we're staying over in Istanbul, but would settle for just a ticket or two the day we're there on the cruise.

I hope you read my correction. You do turn RIGHT!! sorry.

When you turn RIGHT, you go thur the port check point and curve to the left to get to the street. You will see the tram tracks in the middle of the road. If you walk to the left, you will see there is a station ahead (maybe 4 blocks?) Anyway, before you reach the station, at the light, cross the street. It only takes about 10 minutes maybe to reach the station(which is really just a little token machine and a clear awning).

We had gotten Turkish lira at our previous port, so I did not pay attention as to whether it took credit cards or not, sorry. I do know that it only takes small TL bills. (10 maybe) It is easy to use. You just put your money in, 4TL and a token(blue token) and what ever change you may get drops out in a slot. Get the token, put it into the gate, wait for tram going towards city.

Easy as can be.

Try not to take taxis, several people onboard got ripped off or had a bad situation with the taxis drivers. I had no experience, but just heard about all the weird things that went on.

Yes there is a lot of stuff on cruise critic about the taxis. I also hear traffic is bad.

Thanks for the great info. Were you in kusadasi? If so did you use an atmosphere there for lira? Any at the port?

ATM? yes, there is one at the port, but it had a line of about 40 people. We just walked into town and found many ATM's with no one there. We took the dolmus to Ephesis, so, we had to go into town anyway and it was no problem. Kusadasi was fun and lots of shopping here too.

If you want to take dolmus to Ephesis, it is so easy and the advantage is we were the first and only people there for a long time. You enter Ephesis at the bottom, so it was like having the place to ourselves for along time.

Have a great cruise!

ATM? yes, there is one at the port, but it had a line of about 40 people. We just walked into town and found many ATM's with no one there. We took the dolmus to Ephesis, so, we had to go into town anyway and it was no problem. Kusadasi was fun and lots of shopping here too.

If you want to take dolmus to Ephesis, it is so easy and the advantage is we were the first and only people there for a long time. You enter Ephesis at the bottom, so it was like having the place to ourselves for along time.

Have a great cruise!

Thanks. We're on a cruise ship that includes an excursion to Ephesus, so I'll just save my money and go on that, although I suppose it might be nice to get there when there aren't many (or any) people there....oh well. Dolmus (whatever that is!) sounds great. We almost always use public transportation, and get an early start off the ship, and have a great time.

Thanks. We're on a cruise ship that includes an excursion to Ephesus, so I'll just save my money and go on that, although I suppose it might be nice to get there when there aren't many (or any) people there....oh well. Dolmus (whatever that is!) sounds great. We almost always use public transportation, and get an early start off the ship, and have a great time.

Oh for sure, go on the tour included. A dolmus is the public bus. Then, you , might want to just use ATM in the port, wait in line I guess. There is kind of a shopping area (part of the port terminal but not directly connected) that also has an ATM. If you are on a tour already, then, you would have to walk past the tour people, into the shops, use ATM, then walk back. Not a far walk, but not as direct as just using the ATM before you exit the main terminal.

We'll be there in October for the first time, so it's good to have this heads up. Thanks.

What is the landing card that is mentioned in the Turkey Travel Planner site? Is that given to each cruiser or other person coming into Turkey or what? Does it have anything to do with the Turkish visa I assume I have to have since I'm staying overnight 2 nights after our cruise?

When we booked our cruise for September, we were told we needed visas for Turkey. We will be overnight on ship in Istanbul and flying out the next day. Our TA gave us this site to avoid having to do it while there:

https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

• 3 months later...
Remember they will take your passport when you check in for the cruise. They return it after your Turkey port stops. At least that is how it worked for us. ... Will see if this is still the practice on our next visit in early May (also an overnight on Celebrity)

Did Celebrity indeed confiscate everyone's passports upon embarkation, and keep them for the duration of the cruise?

Did Celebrity indeed confiscate everyone's passports upon embarkation, and keep them for the duration of the cruise?

Don't know about Celebrity, and that part of the world. However, it is not the least uncommon on cruises, as it facilitates getting the ship cleared in each port. Recent cruisers on Viking Star reported their passports were taken upon embarkation in Istanbul, and returned later - although I forget whether it was after they left the two ports in Turkey or more toward the end of the cruise (Venice). It seems to depend more on the places the cruise goes than the cruise line involved. Oceania has done it both ways; don't remember how Celebrity did it, although we haven't cruised in Europe with them, only the Caribbean.

Edited by roothy123