Frankfurt terminal question

spunks

We booked a flight form Barcelona to Houston through United which has a connection in Frankfurt. The Barcelona-Frankfurt leg (again, booked thru United) will be operated by Lufthansa We then have 1hr 10 min to board our United flight to Houston. I know the timing is tight but what I am asking is for information about what terminal we should expect to arrive in Frankfurt and which should we expect to depart?...

We have connected through Frankfurt before and with the help of the experts here on CC we made that one fine. I expect to have to go through passport control but hope to avoid a security checkpoint due to the short time frame.

What should I expect?

Thanks

Doug

CruiserBruce....I really appreciate the information. One more question please....It appears there is a walkway tunnel connecting concourse B with concourse Z.

How long is this tunnel?...does it have moving walkways? I see that it avoids secruity checkpoints so that will speed things up considerably. The airline arranged this connection, so we assume it must be doable, but we dont mind getting to the connecting flight early,if you know what I mean.

There may be...for some reason I can't recall it.

Be advised some of the B gates are served by bus, so you arrive at the parking area, and have to be bussed to a gate to start your travel to Z.

There will be security to get into Z. America bound flights and pax get extra scrutiny. There is an additional, extra passport check at your gate.

Edited by CruiserBruce

There may be...for some reason I can't recall it.

Be advised some of the B gates are served by bus, so you arrive at the parking area, and have to be bussed to a gate to start your travel to Z.

There will be security to get into Z. America bound flights and pax get extra scrutiny. There is an additional, extra passport check at your gate.

In addition you passport will also need be stamped as you pass from the gate area with European flights to the overseas area.

• 2 weeks later...

We have gone through Frankfurt twice in recent years. One hour and ten minutes is makeable, but tight.

As I recall, if you have to go through security due to changing terminals, if you have to go through security again and are running out of time, ask the security people about letting you go ahead. They did that for us, when we had about half an hour until our flight departed.

Not sure if you need to go through full security during the change, but you will have to go through another screening due to flying to the US. The "interview" itself doesn't take long, but often the line to get to the questioner backs up. Everyone in that line is for your flight, so there is no "cutting the line."

Not sure if you need to go through full security during the change, but you will have to go through another screening due to flying to the US. The "interview" itself doesn't take long, but often the line to get to the questioner backs up. Everyone in that line is for your flight, so there is no "cutting the line."

Yes, you go thru 2 checks. On our last trip thru FRA last June, we arrived from FCO at A. Climbed the stairs to Z, where there is a security check. As Americans, we were searched (carry ons and bodies), then went to the gate, where there was the huge line you reference for another passport check and questioning.

Interesting. Last Nov. We flew from BUD to FRA and then FRA to LAX never had to be interviewed or go thru' additional security before our flight to the US-just passport control since we were leaving the Schengen Area. We were prepared to show that our phones, tablet and camera were working but we were never asked. Both flights were on Luthansa but that shouldn't matter as far as security checks are concerned. I wonder if the additional checks are random